Any Idea Why Not More Men Wear Sarong In Chiang Mai? And What Pattern Is Good?

OldChinaHam

As you probably know,

Something I did not know,

In Thai, the word sarong is spelled a different way with Thai characters.

The Thai sarong is not intended to be worn by women.

Women wear something else called a "tube skirt", in English.

So my question is, if the sarong is for men,

Why don't I see much more of them in Chiang Mai?

Or, do I just not have my thinking cap on and do not know which way to look whilst walking down the Chiang Mai streets?

I know I am right about the sarong being for men, though.

So let us not get into an argument here about that.

I just want to know if you have seen men in sarongs on the CM streets, or maybe other places in Thailand?

And, what pattern cloth you most often see on these sarongs?

I like a sarong made of silk, personally.

But, I like the feel of silk in the morning, too.

Here is a sarong image I found on the internet after typing in "sarong Thailand".

But I think I could do better with a different pattern if I could find a good sarong shop.

0.jpg

Any ideas about good sarong shops in CM?

Of course they would be making sarongs for men. There is no other kind.

Otherwise, they would be making tube skirts for women.

LASTLY, BUT EQUALLY IMPORTANTLY,

What is the best way to wear one of these sarongs in Thailand?

How long, how many times around, tied in front, in back, on the side?

This man is either showing me how to wear the sarong,

Or he is looking for something, like the hidden pocket for valuables, maybe.

0.jpg

There is really nothing wrong with wearing these around the house, either.

But can you run in them?

If you want to go jogging in the morning, for example?

And, what about the hash?

Do the HHH allow sarong on their beer runs?

Years ago you would see many men wearing sarongs whilst working , and relaxing but as the western influence grew sarongs fell out of favour. Don't see many Thai men wearing those denim fishermen's pants or the denim workshirts either nowdays .

They are worn by men and women but in and around the home. Accordingly the pattern is up to you you. I prefer Indonesian batiks.

'Tied' or wrapped at the front.

I really think that most people do not realize just how comfortable and utilitarian the sarong can be when worn around the house.

It is cool and comfortable.

Also, getting in and out of one in a hurry is not a problem.

I hate wearing jeans because I need to remove my shoes before removing the jeans.

Which requires a lot of untying and bending over, not something I enjoy at my advanced age.

The other plus point being, they are very sexy.

And when you need to for this reason too, then you can get out of them in a hurry.

So there really is nothing that beats a sarong around the house for all around occasions.

I think silk might be good.

Very comfortable, I have 10 mostly worn around the house and garden.. Here for around the house very cheap, 80 - 120 baht.... have worn them for many years [about 30 years] not only in Thailand last 10 years

The only men I see on the streets are Muslim men but guess there called something different as much longer

Edited by ignis

Very comfortable, I have 10 mostly worn around the house and garden.. Here for around the house very cheap, 80 - 120 baht.... have worn them for many years [about 30 years] not only in Thailand last 10 years

The only men I see on the streets are Muslim men but guess there called something different as much longer

More men should wear them in their house and garden.

The reason they do not is probably only because they have not tried them.

Of course, most of us never thought nothing about wearing a towel in the locker room during HS or College sports.

That is the closest that most men have come to wearing a sarong, I guess.

Who knows, maybe we can even get TVF to sponsor a sarong contest,

And then we can have a contest to design a TVF sarong pattern with logo.

Sounds like a good idea for a topic.

I bought 2 in Sri lanka about 6 years ago, I love em very comfortable, bought 4 of the Indian style shirt and skirt all in one last jan on a trip there, also very comfortable, can wear here in Melbourne but in Thia....forget to hot for me there.

You need to look to anti-communist 1950's Thailand under military dictatorship where men were highly encouraged to adopt trousers and other less traditional dress. This is when the change took place.

Also the garment worn by mainly rural men, usually at home, that resembles the thing that Westerners know as a sarong is a pha khao ma. See picture below.

The Thai word "sarong" tends to relate to longer cloth, folded differently that is associated in most Thais' minds with either Malays or 100 years ago. See picture below. 258533828_a06c795fa2_o.jpg

So when you say sarong to a Thai, they think of the second picture. They'll put it on for the period wedding photo and that's about it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For men it is as stated above a Pha khao ma (Pakoma) and for women a Patung ( a tube sarong)

I have worn this since first visiting Thailand in 1996. Only one time did I wear it downtown.

I wore it with a Thai jean jacket when I had to run to the local hardware store.

Not an eye was batted by anyone in the store.

The Pakoma for men is usually a plaid, but I have seen strips and other patterns.

The Pakoma can be had in traditional Thai markets for 120 to 150 baht, (3-5 USD).

I prefer 100% cotton as they soften with use and age, the blends I never find comfortable.

The Patung for women is more colorful and has mostly has flower designs.

They say there are 100's of uses for the Pakoma, I made a sling for a baby to take a nap when we were on a beach trip.

It is a comfortable type of dress for either men or women.

As the wife and I are naturists and usually nude at home it is easy to grab a bit of cloth to wrap in, to answer the door. 

I usually end up with a favorite one and wear it until a hole is worn in the seat...lol.

pakama.jpg