Northern Thailand train derailment 11th in nine months

webfact

the two major air routes are bkk to chiang mai, and bkk to hat yai. later train route now closed indefinitely due to supposedly rubber protests, and former undergoing super scare tactics.

closed the aranyaprateth border crossing for some trumped up charges for a couple of hours recently too, should see an escalation there as well in future.

major airline is bankrupt posting major losses do you see any connections yet?

Edited by garett bergnaum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However the Minister of Transport HAS told the SRT to make sure that station toilets are properly cleaned and gave them a month to do so.

You have to get your priorities in the right order.

That's fair enough, some sphincters may be working overtime the moments before boarding the train. Always take a nervous dump prior as it is better than being found dead with dirty underwear.

• Like 1

Very convenient, when the government are asking for some gazillions to make a high speed train on the same route.....

The discussions about lack of electricity during this songkran festival overruled all discussions about coal fired power plants - Closing of Myanmars gas production fields came very convenient too.

It's called manipulation !

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Maybe they should get Clint Eastwood to do an advert for Thai Railways.

"So you want to buy a ticket on the Bangkok-Chiang Mai Express? Well considering this is the most dangerous railway in the world you have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

I guess until there is major accident on this line, nothing will be done.

Even with a major accident they will still do nothing

Just look at the carnage on the roads with buses and vans

People in power do not care about the people they serve

I agree with your statement but I need to add "should serve".

It's a STATE railway isn't it? One of the main ones and connecting the capital with what often is referred to as the the capitol of the Northern region and one of the main cities, prominently represented on all media dealing with Thailand related travelling and Tourism. Railways are still considered a major part of any country's infrastructure.

In just about every other matter - even very minor ones - this goverment takes even very extreme measures regarding eventual disfavorable impressions the mere mentioning of such things may make of Thailand. Numerous governmental spokes persons make speaches and statesments bordering to - if not passing - the ridicoulous concerrning avarage mr. Somchai chatting with his friends in a well negative manner irrespective that very few apart fro Somchai and his friends - and governmental spokes-persons and officials - would take seriuosly.

Sorry, but the improssion this misarable and unadressed state the STATE railway systems seems to be and remain in makes only one impression on this foreigner: How close to bankruptcy is this country and it's government?

Edited by rishi

Could it be that the Minister of Transportation and Thai Rail Road are attempting to create a new category in the Guinness Book Of Records. The most derailments on a single rout. Presently they have a 11 accidents in a 9 month period. whistling.gif

11 derailments in nine months is a worse record than the Hornby train set I had as a kid. Blimey!

I had Lionel trains when I was a kid, and I used to stage some horrific accidents... but nothing like the unmanned diesel locomotive that was sent crashing into the main waiting area of Hua Lamphong Station back in the '80's.

It's a STATE railway isn't it? One of the main ones and connecting the capital with what often is referred to as the the capitol of the Northern region and one of the main cities, prominently represented on all media dealing with Thailand related travelling and Tourism. Railways are still considered a major part of any country's infrastructure.

In just about every other matter - even very minor ones - this goverment takes even very extreme measures regarding eventual disfavorable impressions the mere mentioning of such things may make of Thailand. Numerous governmental spokes persons make speaches and statesments bordering to - if not passing - the ridicoulous concerrning avarage mr. Somchai chatting with his friends in a well negative manner irrespective that very few apart fro Somchai and his friends - and governmental spokes-persons and officials - would take seriuosly.

Sorry, but the improssion this misarable and unadressed state the STATE railway systems seems to be and remain in makes only one impression on this foreigner: How close to bankruptcy is this country and it's government?

Not Bankrupt, they are going to be Rich, Rich, filthy rich when they sell all the rice.

11 derailments in less than one year? No fatalities?

It seems its very safe to go by train. I always prefered it and will continue to do so. Seriously. Actually it would be even an adventure to derail at thai train speeds...

Never took the train in Thailand . I know why now. coffee1.gif

No wonder the airlines are doing well.

Safest way to travel there is.

Fast clean efficient friendly

train and bus travel does seem to have lost its romantic appeal somewhat.

They have a great network in Indo, built by the British. Great train rides there but here's getting a bit scary wot

Never took the train in Thailand . I know why now. coffee1.gif

The last time I took a train from Bangkok,I told myself that this would be the last time. The train was dirty, could not see through the windows. It appeared to rock and roll along the train track. It was very noisy especially when it stopped at any station. The seats were very hard and uncomfortable. The attendant washed the floor around 8 times on the journey but only in the vicinity of the entry door.So I decided in future the express coach for me. Clean,lay back seats and more to see on the journey. Quicker and cheaper.

I guess until there is major accident on this line, nothing will be done.

Even with a major accident they will still do nothing

Just look at the carnage on the roads with buses and vans

People in power do not care about the people they serve

And folk wonder why I don't give a shit.