Thailand: Alcohol excise taxes raised

webfact

I suspect that we are seeing the birth of an urban myth - that it is cheaper to drink beer in Europe than in Thailand.

I have not go the time now to do proper research but if some Brit on here has time to find a few beers off the Tesco UK product/price list (there's 507 of them listed, easily googled) that have the same or a direct equivalent available in their local Tesco, then let's put it to the test. Direct equivalents must be brewed in-country, can-for-can, bottle-for-bottle, same size, same or similar alcohol content, same pack quantity sold. The population of same or direct equivalents will be very small if we restrict it to Thai-produced lagers vs British produced lagers. Probably only 33cl cans x 24 of Carling etc vs the same of Cheers (wash your mouth out Santisuk). Can't think of the direct equivalent in the UK of the emblematic expat 5.5% 660ml bottle of Leo.

I did notice that Heineken in the UK is 1,000 baht /10 quid to buy 2 x 12 cases of 33cl Heineken- and that's a special promotion. I buy* 24 cans of Heineken at 899 baht (but now an extra 7%?) in Tesco here. Does not quite meet my df of direct equivalence, but that's what got me thinking about challenging the emerging potential myth.

I'll do it myself next week if noone else will, though I risk being run out of CAMRA if I blether on too much about bluddy lagerbiggrin.png . I will do it objectively rather than with an axe to grind one way or the other

*No <deleted> - for Ubon Hash House Harriers, not for me w00t.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that we are seeing the birth of an urban myth - that it is cheaper to drink beer in Europe than in Thailand.

I have not go the time now to do proper research but if some Brit on here has time to find a few beers off the Tesco UK product/price list (there's 507 of them listed, easily googled) that have the same or a direct equivalent available in their local Tesco, then let's put it to the test. Direct equivalents must be brewed in-country, can-for-can, bottle-for-bottle, same size, same or similar alcohol content, same pack quantity sold. The population of same or direct equivalents will be very small if we restrict it to Thai-produced lagers vs British produced lagers. Probably only 33cl cans x 24 of Carling etc vs the same of Cheers (wash your mouth out Santisuk). Can't think of the direct equivalent in the UK of the emblematic expat 5.5% 660ml bottle of Leo.

I did notice that Heineken in the UK is 1,000 baht /10 quid to buy 2 x 12 cases of 33cl Heineken- and that's a special promotion. I buy* 24 cans of Heineken at 899 baht (but now an extra 7%?) in Tesco here. Does not quite meet my df of direct equivalence, but that's what got me thinking about challenging the emerging potential myth.

I'll do it myself next week if noone else will, though I risk being run out of CAMRA if I blether on too much about bluddy lagerbiggrin.png . I will do it objectively rather than with an axe to grind one way or the other

Well I haven't checked them all, but I am quite sure, that on a volume basis, there are plenty of beers cheaper in the UK than Thailand.

3.08 gbp (150baht) I paid for a pint of bitter the other night. 100 baht for a small Heineken in the local in Thailand??? But fortunately the barmaid kept her kit on......

Edited by Thai at Heart

Its not just a small rise it is the start of something irreversable

Look what happened in the UK? The alcohol prices went up and up and the recession hit

I watched as pubs that have been open in my town for over 100 years shut down forever, the only ones left now are wetherspoons corporate family bars. No personality and no fun and not even music!

Everyone just stays home and buys cans from tesco!

What goes up in Taxes never comes down!

The reason Thailand became so expensive for many things was a few years ago when the gasoline wars were on, the rates for everything shot up, food prices went up and street vendors adjusted accordingly.

Then the Gasoline wars ended and came back down to what they were, but Thailands prices never did, infact they have just been creeping up ever since.

In 10 years the price of street food has DOUBLED! and in some cases Tripled! And while the rest of the worlds currency has fallen...

A visit back in Blighty last month and i actually felt the place was cheaper than Thailand for many many things, 3 quid bottles of wine, 50 pence for shampoo and conditioners, pound shops everywhere and quality jeans for 10 quid!

Goodbye Thailand and hello back home

Soon we will be going back to the West because things are cheaper there, i guarantee it will come in this lifetime! if not the next 10 years!

I can live much cheaper in Spain until it comes to one necessity, female company!

Any offers welcome.

2 dozen cider for 15£ in Tesco. Large cans 500 ml. Before people cuss the cider, the weather has been spectacular for 3 weeks now'

So yes, booze is getting very expensive in Thailand.

Its not just a small rise it is the start of something irreversable

Look what happened in the UK? The alcohol prices went up and up and the recession hit

I watched as pubs that have been open in my town for over 100 years shut down forever, the only ones left now are wetherspoons corporate family bars. No personality and no fun and not even music!

Everyone just stays home and buys cans from tesco!

What goes up in Taxes never comes down!

The reason Thailand became so expensive for many things was a few years ago when the gasoline wars were on, the rates for everything shot up, food prices went up and street vendors adjusted accordingly.

Then the Gasoline wars ended and came back down to what they were, but Thailands prices never did, infact they have just been creeping up ever since.

In 10 years the price of street food has DOUBLED! and in some cases Tripled! And while the rest of the worlds currency has fallen...

A visit back in Blighty last month and i actually felt the place was cheaper than Thailand for many many things, 3 quid bottles of wine, 50 pence for shampoo and conditioners, pound shops everywhere and quality jeans for 10 quid!

Goodbye Thailand and hello back home

Soon we will be going back to the West because things are cheaper there, i guarantee it will come in this lifetime! if not the next 10 years!

I can live much cheaper in Spain until it comes to one necessity, female company!

Any offers welcome.

Get in shape... take care of yourself and don't look for girls half your age and you don't have to pay. Just some sound advice.

• Like 1

get me a good exchange rate and i really dont care what you do. But alot of ppl do and will go somewhere else around the perimeter of the country for cheapppp booze

I recommend Cambodia for heavy drinkers. It is a heaven for drinkers. 1 lt. Jack Daniels Black is only $19.9 USD (little bit less than half price of Thailand) and 1 pack of Marlboro is $1.05 USD. Some food stuff (like Pistachio) is much cheaper even though they are imported from Thailand.

Good thing about Cambodia is USD is the primary currency and ATMs dispense USD.

It always has been a mecca for cheap booze, but for how long will it last?

I am a regular visitor since 2000 and buy nearly all my premium wine and spirits there now.

There's a better selection of wines available than in Thailand and at rock-bottom prices. Wine merchants like the Warehouse in PP on St. 19 (there are several others in that area) offer selections unrivaled anywhere in Thailand and at prices sometimes five times cheaper than their Thai equivalents.

Supercheap on St. 360 is also good, as is Bayon Market.

Some great little bars and wine bars opening up there too. If you are not into titty bars and p4p then it is a great alternative.

Seems business as usual in BKK.. Hotels have the same pricing as last week, which strangely enough is the same price as a year ago.. Even Central's pricing remains unchanged..

Though, once the Excise Department figures out how to calculate everything correctly - anyone's guess when that'll happen - pricing will be adjusted accordingly if required.

Seems business as usual in BKK.. Hotels have the same pricing as last week, which strangely enough is the same price as a year ago.. Even Central's pricing remains unchanged..

Though, once the Excise Department figures out how to calculate everything correctly - anyone's guess when that'll happen - pricing will be adjusted accordingly if required.

I suppose they are just happy with overpriced.

And it probably costs more to reprogram the billing system (that's if they remember the code)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

it'll be interesting to see how far these 'sin taxes' will hold until tax revenues begin to decline.

Their must be room to increase - as the govt. has initiated this tax increase in anticipation to study the affects.

But then they they would raise the taxes to make up the shortfall...

Check out the 'J Curve'

Whenever a spendthrift government needs extra cash, they raise taxes on booze and cigs, knowing that people will still keep on buying.

24 cans of Leo up from 630B to 720B here -- that's 14%.

True enough, but guarantee the next government will not reduce them.

I wonder if there is anyone in Thai officialdom that could explain to us what the point is in having 'out of hours' for buying booze when it can be got around so simply. Another quirk of Amazing Thailand i presume !

There is no logic behind it, as there is no logic behind many things they do here in Thailand. It's OK to buy alcohol from 11:00 to 14:00, but it's not OK to buy from 14:00 to 17:00 unless you buy more than 10 liters of the alcoholic beverage. What a ridiculous rule!

• 2 months later...

My wine supplier just increased their prices by about 30% per bottle! I''m not in the country now. Has anybody seen these kind of increases at the stores?

Sent from my traveling tab.

Haven't checked on wine but the price of a bottle of Sierra Tequila went from 620 baht up to 780 baht. That is 24 percent which is a huge increase. Time to start growing my own cactus!

Edited by T_Dog

right now, I am wondering if beer that was already delivered and stocked was exempt from the new tax. I bought a few cans of Singha last week and paid 30 baht each at the Lotus near me.. bought some yesterday and each was 33 baht. same store. I checked the prices on individual cans (Leo, Chiang, San Mig, etc) and seems each one went up between 2-4 baht per can since last week.

Yes, I agree. Better to have an increase in VAT to try to capture some of the black money rather than the crazy no-tax system in place now ( so long as food and some essentials exempt)

Federal income tax, state income tax, real estate tax, gas tax, state tax on everything from groceries to a new car, county tax, local tax. add all that together and more than 50% of what I earned was eaten up by taxes. Here, even 12% VAT tax is acceptable and so is a small tax increase on alcohol. Still beats how much I was paying in the states. I would prefer it did nto go up but, still, I can live with it.

suck it up thirsty people 15 or 30 % wont stop to keep drinking beer or what ever the point of all of this is

get more money from the thirst plus stop the hoarding alcohol ,what a nut ,lets drop it and keep drinking

buy your own alcohol ,and be drunk isn't what alcohol is for .>>>.

New excise tax is now in force, I believe effectively from the beginning of the month... Essentially - in the spirit of fair play - alcohol that was imported or produced for sale is exempt from it, it will be up to the importer/distributor/wholesaler/retailer if that eventuates.

Not all booze will go up, there will be cases where the price actually drops, again whether or not that happens is up to the above pieces of the puzzle.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I agree. Better to have an increase in VAT to try to capture some of the black money rather than the crazy no-tax system in place now ( so long as food and some essentials exempt)

Federal income tax, state income tax, real estate tax, gas tax, state tax on everything from groceries to a new car, county tax, local tax. add all that together and more than 50% of what I earned was eaten up by taxes. Here, even 12% VAT tax is acceptable and so is a small tax increase on alcohol. Still beats how much I was paying in the states. I would prefer it did nto go up but, still, I can live with it.

You can get a fantastic bottle of Chardonnay in the USA for about seven bucks. Something you will NEVER see here.

• Like 1

You can get a fantastic bottle of Chardonnay in the USA for about seven bucks. Something you will NEVER see here.

Pros and cons in both places. My overall tax rate in the US was less than 20%. Sure, some things there are more, but IMHO, some are really good value for your money. Things are definitely getting more expensive here. And I do miss cheap wine!!! 5555555

• Like 1

Received this alert while shopping for me weekly supply of finest white lightening at the local open all hours boozearama just nearby the digs.

Well, blow me over with a tankard of jellied eels. I nearly 'ad a coronary - not alcohol related by the way.

Upon enquiring with Somboon - the kindly custodian of the aforementioned illicit grog shop - he delivered this pearl in my shell like.

Excise? What in 'eavens are you on about? We gets our gear from the local bill, no tax malarky involved. You know what I mean, guv?

Phew.

sent from my hippo phone