Thai/American widow in need of help

techXXX

Unfortunately I can't agree. That same spouse could move back to the USA and then perhaps qualify for SS because they were resident.

Your advice and mine are dead on in one respect. Call Social Security

That goes for the guy asking about children also.

You are correct, and the regulation specifically addresses just that kind of situation and what and when that person may be able to begin receiving benefits again. I don't recall saying they could not if they returned to the US.

There is a lot of information on the Social Security web site. It is hard to find and confusing.

Contacting Social Security is the best.

I'm not sure what you don't agree with. I put the link to the regulation which seems to address everything you have mentioned.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked:

My wife also is worry what she needs to do if I pass away. I am an American and she is Thai, not an American citizen, do not speak English, and dot have US SS number. She will need my modest retirement to keep life going...Can you tell me what you did to help your wife in the same case? Thank you.

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

Not much you can do unfortunately. THe rules for US SS is that for a wife to receive survivors benefits she must have resided in the US for I think it's 2 years and have a SS #. No exceptions. Looked into this in detail about 3 years ago for a friend that died here who had married a THai lady just 6 months before he passed away.

She has to have resided in the USA for 5 years living with you as your spouse ..... If thats not the case all she can get is one time death benifits ............

For Rama,

I believe BB is right. In addition:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0460.htm As far as I read the regulation, I don't recall it mentioning a surviving widow. However, I got to the regulation through a survivor's questions regarding benefits. These online questions referred to this regulation. The questions are in the PAYMENTS ABROAD SCREENING TOOL on the SS web site.

You really should contact SS to get your answers. You can probably contact SS in Manila.

We are in agreement on the important points.

I however do not want to advise anyone with any negative news when it may only apply in a certain circumstance and can possibly be remedied by some action on their part.

I don't want to say anything to anyone that may discourage them from talking to SS and applying for benefits.

The statement above by BB:

"She has to have resided in the USA for 5 years living with you as your spouse ..... If thats not the case all she can get is one time death benifits ............"

May discourage some from contacting SS and finding out what ALL their options are.

Social Security has upgraded its online tools to shed light on the dark mysteries of Social Security. The tools are worth a look whether you're still working, ready to retire, or already getting Social Security.

For future retirees:

This is a must: sign up for a personal "My Social Security" account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. Then you can review your SSA earnings record for accuracy and view estimates of your future Social Security payments, anytime. Estimates cover retirement, disability, and survivor benefits. You can also view the amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes you've paid over the years. Most workers no longer receive a Social Security statement in the mail, so My Social Security is your information conduit.

Explore SSA's online calculators for more-detailed benefit estimates. The simplest one is at www.ssa.gov/estimator/. Or, if you're a true numbers connoisseur, check out the variety of calculators at www.ssa.gov/OACT/anypia/index.html. With the online calculators you can try out various future scenarios like early or partial retirement. That's a big advantage over the My Social Security statement that assumes a fixed, "work until this age" format. There are even specialized calculators if you're eligible for a pension from non-FICA-taxed work at www.ssa.gov/retire2/anyPiaWepjs04.htm.

Get a guided tour of retirement planning at SSA's Retirement Planner at www.ssa.gov/retire2/. It offers a menu of articles and links on a variety of topics.

Learn more about any Social Security topic at www.ssa.gov/pubs/. There you'll find SSA publications covering everything from cradle (Social Security numbers) to grave (survivor benefits) and everything in between (like earning Social Security credits).

For those retiring now or soon:

You can apply online for Social Security retirement benefits by going to www.ssa.gov and clicking on the "Retirement" tab.

Others can also apply online for spouse or disability payments.

You can apply online for Medicare, or for extra help paying for your Medicare prescription drug costs. Go to www.ssa.gov and click on the "Medicare" tab.

At www.medicare.gov, you can explore Medicare supplement insurance, Medicare Part C Advantage plans, and Medicare Part D drug plans. You can even enroll online for Part C or Part D insurance.

If you're already getting Social Security

You too should sign up for a personal account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. New capabilities allow you to:

Print out proof of Social Security or Medicare benefits. These can be used as proof of income for loans, mortgages, or other government benefits, and to prove health insurance enrollment. This will save time compared with waiting on the phone or in an SSA office, and reduce SSA's 9 million manual verifications per year.

Check your personal information and payment history.

Change your address.

Start or change your direct deposit data.

Even without a My Social Security account, you can request a replacement Medicare card.

The bottom line

You don't need to be in the dark any more. Brighten your Social Security smarts with SSA's online tools. Links to these services and more can be found at www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/.

Phone in. You can call SSA at 800-SSA-1213 from anywhere. Lines are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wait times can be long in the first week of the month and midday. Tip: bypass the wait times by calling before 10 a.m. or after 3 p.m.

Click in. Go to socialsecurity.gov to open the door to every Social Security publication, service, statistic, and more. (Or use ssa.gov, a mirror site with identical content and a handier URL.) You can even file for new payments online. Tip: online filing is now the number one way to apply for payments or Medicare. People rave about it. Use it.

Good information, Mike45. Can someone create an account now if they are accessing the SS web site from outside the USA? In the past, I was not allowed to do that.

I tried to create an account this morning (15Sept2013) and it will not display the page.

Edited by hml367

Good information, Mike45. Can someone create an account now if they are accessing the SS web site from outside the USA? In the past, I was not allowed to do that.

I tried to create an account this morning (15Sept2013) and it will not display the page.

I'm no expert but I would try using a USA based VPN while accessing the site. I've used hotspotshield

One caution when signing up for SS. If you use an overseas address as your home address when signing up, they will send you a letter every year that says you have to respond to verify that you are still alive to continue getting benefits. If you use a US address as your home address, they don't do this.........................

But, you can't make your initial application over the phone with Manila from here and ask that they use a U.S. address. We use a mail forwarding service in Florida and the SS guy on from Manila who called us with the phone appointment to set up Hubby's new SS said he'd have to go to Florida to set up the benefit with a U.S. mailing address.

It's really odd -- no problem with Manila arranging for direct deposit to a U.S. bank account (the account is even in my name, not Hubby's!), but all the correspondence must come to our Thai address. So, twice now we've had mess-ups due to the Thai mail system or mail distribution within our condo.

That's why I started a thread earlier this year when Hubby received his "are you still alive?" form because others in CM were receiving theirs at the same time. Seems they sent them at the same time to everyone in Chiang Mai, maybe even in Thailand. That's because a few months later, several people I know had their SS payments stopped (on the same month) because the form hadn't caught up with them and/or they're too disorganized/demented to fill out and return the form.

At least Americans don't have to have someone with authority witness the "are you still alive?" form like the Brits. And the British form has the scary name "Proof of Life".