Blacklisted

I don't think you will have problem entering Cambodia. There is no sharing of blacklist info as far as I know.

Sent from my AirPad 8" TA803D using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree - but you might want to consider using another country other than Thailand as a transit stop for your journey to Cambodia. There is little reason to transit in Thailand before heading to Cambodia anymore as there are plenty of flights from other countries these days and in your case even transiting in Thailand wouldn't be allowed. Therefore, find a direct flight from the UK to Vietnam (such as on Vietnam Airlines), and then travel from there onto Cambodia either by air or you can go overland. Alternatively, there are also flights from Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong and numerous Chinese cities to Cambodia.

Just a note of caution regarding the above advice:

If he was charged with anything to do with drugs, and I'm not saying he was but "IF" he was, he should take a great deal of care transiting any other country where they have strict drug laws. Member states may provide names of individuals to each other on those who are blacklisted as a result of possible drug charges.

Should mention that those states which have tough laws on drugs have my total support, so don't anyone think I'm on-side with drug offenders.

That's a good point, but we don't know what he was charged for. However, the OP asks about travelling to and entering Cambodia. From the UK, there are a multitude of options that don't have to involve Thailand. Unfortunately, there are no direct flights yet though. Perhaps Hong Kong would be a reasonable transit point? They are strict there when it comes to drugs, as are most other countries in the region, but the death penalty is not in force there, just to let you know.

I can only assume that those suggesting a new passport, or even a change of name and then a new passport, haven't heard of computers and biometrics.

I guess you were talking about me, although I did not suggest a new passport as way of circumventing the Thai blacklist - indeed I specifically said the opposite, but a red stamp on a passport would certainly not endear someone to any immigration service - and anything being shared would come down to names and passport numbers! Remember the Op was NOT asking about breaking the Blacklist order, but about repercussion in other countries in the region. His blacklist order is for Thailand, not Cambodia, so he is breaking no law.

The person I was talking about was from the UK where it is quick, easy and legal to change your name by deed pole and then a new passport is just as easy as applying. Biometric passports? Not the last time I got one. RFID passports do not always include real biometrics - UK passports do not include any biometrics, just a tracking and anti-forging mechanism. Some do include fingerprints and even face recognition metrics in very few instances.

EU forces passports to have digital (computer readable) photographs - but a new passport means new photo and face recognition is an intensive process (especially globally!) - so only of any real use if already arrested. Finder printing is enforced for Schengen countries in the EU (EU countries except UK/Eire/Switzerland/Norway/Denmark).

When was the last time you were reprinted coming in through customs?

Also as RFID passports are quite new, if the current passport (at time of deportation) is not RFID (or pre 2006 for EU when digital photographs were required) then the new RFID passport will have nothing to match against.

It is hard to see how anyone could be caught if they did decide to circumvent the blacklisting (not advised of course!!!) - just what would they be spotted on - no fingerprints taken on entry, face recognition all but redundant before the fact (especially on transit), not name match, not passport number match. To me the only real likelihood is someone recognising the person and reporting them (or for them to be stupid and boast about it I guess).

I can only assume that those suggesting a new passport, or even a change of name and then a new passport, haven't heard of computers and biometrics.

I guess you were talking about me, although I did not suggest a new passport as way of circumventing the Thai blacklist - indeed I specifically said the opposite, but a red stamp on a passport would certainly not endear someone to any immigration service - and anything being shared would come down to names and passport numbers! Remember the Op was NOT asking about breaking the Blacklist order, but about repercussion in other countries in the region. His blacklist order is for Thailand, not Cambodia, so he is breaking no law.

The person I was talking about was from the UK where it is quick, easy and legal to change your name by deed pole and then a new passport is just as easy as applying. Biometric passports? Not the last time I got one. RFID passports do not always include real biometrics - UK passports do not include any biometrics, just a tracking and anti-forging mechanism. Some do include fingerprints and even face recognition metrics in very few instances.

EU forces passports to have digital (computer readable) photographs - but a new passport means new photo and face recognition is an intensive process (especially globally!) - so only of any real use if already arrested. Finder printing is enforced for Schengen countries in the EU (EU countries except UK/Eire/Switzerland/Norway/Denmark).

When was the last time you were reprinted coming in through customs?

Also as RFID passports are quite new, if the current passport (at time of deportation) is not RFID (or pre 2006 for EU when digital photographs were required) then the new RFID passport will have nothing to match against.

It is hard to see how anyone could be caught if they did decide to circumvent the blacklisting (not advised of course!!!) - just what would they be spotted on - no fingerprints taken on entry, face recognition all but redundant before the fact (especially on transit), not name match, not passport number match. To me the only real likelihood is someone recognising the person and reporting them (or for them to be stupid and boast about it I guess).

Newly issued UK passports now have iCase notes that track name change from the previous passport. Accordingly, depending on the level of technology at border control to read ePassports they can identify name changes.

The main provider of security technology for border control is SITA, more info at:

http://www.sita.aero/products-solutions/solutions/iborders-border-management?

Edited by simple1

Dear fellow members

My crime was that i bought Cambodian cigarettes in Thailand at the border. i was stopped because i had 9 sleeves which were all for myself even though their were three of us, . Stupid, but knowing Thailand i didn't feel it was a real factor that i would be imprisoned for 60 days and then deported..

The imprisonment was for the fact i couldn't raise bail apparently though i was not even offered it and i had to wait on remand to see if the prosecution would press charges.

These weren't counterfeit they were real marl reds. but obviously the Cambodian phoned the police who arrested me later carrying them around the market.. and then wanting 120k tea money too let me go. once refused, i was in the system and couldn't get out of it! So had to await my charge and fine , which was a mere 2500 baht.

Load of <deleted> and too be honest, i dont care if i ever step foot in Thailand again... But my question is

Will the Cambodian immigration / border know if ive been blacklisted from Thailand and if so would they refuse me entry!

Also i wouldn't need to be in transit through Bangkok as i believe i would be flying direct via London to PP.

Ive tried phoning the Cambodian embassy this morning and i had two answers but both were in my eyes very faint answers as if the Asean culture was kicking in of " I don't really know, but too save face i will make something up" one said no problem we just need to check your not on our blacklist! but only asked for my name, nothing anything else. if their was another person with my name does that mean i wouldn't get in?

The second person put the phone down after stating i would need a police recommendation which i believe she may mean some form of check/reference from the police that on not on intepols list for anything..

So still getting nowhere fast with a answer and still awaiting a reply after sending a letter too Bangkok immigration asking them to review my case..

Gutted isnt the word . Seems certain countries are just allowed too take away your life and you home country/embassy allows it!

Cheers

Dear fellow members

My crime was that i bought Cambodian cigarettes in Thailand at the border. i was stopped because i had 9 sleeves which were all for myself even though their were three of us, . Stupid, but knowing Thailand i didn't feel it was a real factor that i would be imprisoned for 60 days and then deported..

The imprisonment was for the fact i couldn't raise bail apparently though i was not even offered it and i had to wait on remand to see if the prosecution would press charges.

These weren't counterfeit they were real marl reds. but obviously the Cambodian phoned the police who arrested me later carrying them around the market.. and then wanting 120k tea money too let me go. once refused, i was in the system and couldn't get out of it! So had to await my charge and fine , which was a mere 2500 baht.

Load of <deleted> and too be honest, i dont care if i ever step foot in Thailand again... But my question is

Will the Cambodian immigration / border know if ive been blacklisted from Thailand and if so would they refuse me entry!

Also i wouldn't need to be in transit through Bangkok as i believe i would be flying direct via London to PP.

Ive tried phoning the Cambodian embassy this morning and i had two answers but both were in my eyes very faint answers as if the Asean culture was kicking in of " I don't really know, but too save face i will make something up" one said no problem we just need to check your not on our blacklist! but only asked for my name, nothing anything else. if their was another person with my name does that mean i wouldn't get in?

The second person put the phone down after stating i would need a police recommendation which i believe she may mean some form of check/reference from the police that on not on intepols list for anything..

So still getting nowhere fast with a answer and still awaiting a reply after sending a letter too Bangkok immigration asking them to review my case..

Gutted isnt the word . Seems certain countries are just allowed too take away your life and you home country/embassy allows it!

Cheers

Did you not ask the Embassy to check your name on the blacklist? If on it could have asked them to crosscheck your identity by another reference such as your DOB/passport number.

Dear fellow members

Cheers

Sounds harsh but I guess it's like going through nothing to declare with loads of cigarettes. Couldn't you have said that 400 cigs were for the other guys? What's the limit 200 cigs per person?

Good luck with your efforts

If you bought them at the market in Thailand and did not fross the border howceere you caught? I Don't get it

The police at long klua market are as corrupt as it gets!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

You may or may not be aware that on entry to (and exit from) Cambodia via many (but not all) border crossings,you are now photographed and fingerprinted.At some crossings,your passport is also scanned.The fingerprint recognition system definitely works,as after the first occasion,when all your prints are scanned, subsequently the system only needs to scan one print in order to identify you.Whether the photographic process uses some sort of facial recognition software or not I don't know.But-currently-as I said,not all border crossings have the fingerprint/photo/passport scanner.So-if you enter Cambodia via one of these crossings,as long as you have a valid visa,you are just stamped in,and no checks of any kind are carried out on you or your passport,there is simply no way for the Immigration personnel to do so.So,as one poster has suggested,you could fly to (e.g) Saigon from London,from there travel to one of the smaller crossings to Cambodia,on arrival get a VOA and enter Cambodia there.If you then wanted to stay in Cambodia for a long time,you would initially get a so called ordinary (formerly business) visa,and extend it via an agency once in Cambodia.However,of course if at this stage there was some sort of inter ASEAN co-operation between Thailand and Cambodia,your original indiscretion might come to light,Personally I think it unlikely but it might be worth a try

If you bought them at the market in Thailand and did not fross the border howceere you caught? I Don't get it The police at long klua market are as corrupt as it gets! Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think there might be a typo, that should have read as "into" and not "in"?

OP was asked about tea money - circa 120k which really seems excessive in itself, possibly able to negotiate that down a lot further but who knows...

Dear fellow members

Cheers

Did you not ask the Embassy to check your name on the blacklist? If on it could have asked them to crosscheck your identity by another reference such as your DOB/passport number.

I am struggling to see how some one would get black listed for 99 years for some cigarettes, drugs offenses etc sure, but cigarettes ?.....sure he hasn't just been deported, pp red stamped, and if he gets a new PP wouldn't have a problem coming back ?

If this is the new standard of law enforcement in Thailand, plenty of farangs in Thailand better watch out....99 year black list for being out the limit of cigarettes...what's drinking driving going to get you the death penalty ?

• Like 2

Dear fellow members

Cheers

I am struggling to see how some one would get black listed for 99 years for some cigarettes, drugs offenses etc sure, but cigarettes ?.....sure he hasn't just been deported, pp red stamped, and if he gets a new PP wouldn't have a problem coming back ?

If this is the new standard of law enforcement in Thailand, plenty of farangs in Thailand better watch out....99 year black list for being out the limit of cigarettes...what's drinking driving going to get you the death penalty ?

As I said before, the punishment seems very harsh but maybe that's the law and perhaps they classed it as smuggling narctoics rather than a slap on the wrist for not declaring and throwing them away

Dear fellow members

Cheers

As I said before, the punishment seems very harsh but maybe that's the law and perhaps they classed it as smuggling narctoics rather than a slap on the wrist for not declaring and throwing them away

How can bringing more than legally allowed limit of cigarettes be classed as smuggling narcotics ? Narcotics are completely illegal, bringing cigarettes over an international border as long as with in a prescribed limits is perfectly legal...it's the amount he as been done for, not what has been brought in....further the penalty in the court was a fine ฿ 2500 tell me in which thai court would you fined ฿ 2500 for smuggling narcotics ?

So either

1 he is not on a 99 year black list

2 this is not the full story which is being told

• Like 1