Should I carry my passport original or a photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?

The International Farang

Just wondering what real-experiences people have had when walking about Bangkok. In some areas police shake-downs / ID checks are creeping in and I'm wondering what people do when asked for ID / Passport.

Now although I already have a 5 year driving license (Thai) I'm wondering if a photocopy / original passport is required?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in 17 years here i have never been asked to show my passport.

nor have i carried one

<snip>

Anyway, OP, you should carry a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the one with your mugshot) and, preferably, the page which bears your current, valid visa stamp.

99% of the time, that will suffice.

<snip>

By law Thai's are supposed to carry ID, my buddy who has been here 20 years always do...in my 5 + years I do not and have never been asked for it.

Edited by soundman
Reply to above.

nor have i carried one

Could you expand upon this please.

You are saying you are never asked for your passport. Are you a euro type person or do you blend in? smile.png

What do they ask you? Do they ask about visa status? Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

What form of ID do you show?

What part of the country do you live in?

Do you travel on the highways?

Edited by NCC1701A

In 30 years I can only remember being asked for my passport twice, both by traffics cops.

The first maybe 10 years ago near Khao Yai when I was "accused" of speeding in my car. I wasn't, and the cops had no way of checking anyway. It was just a tea money stop but I negotiated a large reduction. All smiles and was quite fun really.

The second around 5 years ago near Chonburi on my motorbike. The cop was checking for stolen bikes. He didn't want any money. Seriously!

Having said that, I always carry my actual passport with me unless I'm just popping up the road to my local market. I thought it was the law (about 5 years ago?) to make farangs obey the same obligations to carry ID as Thais have to.

nor have i carried one

You are saying you are never asked for your passport. Are you a euro type person or do you blend in? smile.png

What do they ask you? Do they ask about visa status? Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

The OP asked about walking around BKK, not highways.

I always carry a credit card size plastic copy of my PP and 5-year DL to avoid loss of originals.

Never had a problem and only ever asked once.

I understand there is a 24 hour 'grace' period to present your PP at the appropriate police station?

I have never carried my passport or photocopy of it and have been living in BKK for 6 months a year for the past 10 years. (I believe it is the law to carry it though from what I have read)

I have been stopped by police on foot a few occasions, often late at night after a good few ales and they have asked for passport, I have showed my Thai driving license or UK License in the early years I was here, all been OK and never had to part with any tea money.

I do always put my passport in my bag if driving up country or outside of BKK for a few days just incase, but so far have never needed it.

nor have i carried one

Speaking for myself only,

You are saying you are never asked for your passport.

Never, only time asked for is at immigration to do an extension, to renew drivers license or to open a bank account.

Are you a euro type person

Yes.

What do they ask you?

Dont understand the question, what did who ask in relation to what?

Do they ask about visa status?

Did who ask about visa status, as above in relation to what?

Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

Yes.

When stopped by police when driving, drivers license.

When coming home in a taxi from a night out in Bkk after the taxi has been stopped by police, showed nothing.

Questioned in Thai and answered in Thai.

Bangkok and Chanthaburi.

Yes frequently, in fact most times I have been stopped in the Chan region, as soon as they see I am a farang the police just wave me on, they are looking for other illegal activities.

The reason I dont carry a passport is simple, I would rather be fined a couple of hundred baht for not having it on me, than risk losing it while out and about.

Has anyone ever been fined for not having a passport on them?

The alternative is the possibility of losing the passport and all the hassle that entails.

Police report, trip to the embassay, trip back home to get a new visa, back here to renew visa etc etc etc

• Like 2

Can't be bothered to carry copy of passport. Never been asked for it in 24 years. If they want to nail you, they will anyway, even if you have a copy of your passport. They have carted off foreigners in pubs for having no passport, even though some protested they had a copy, including those silly little laminated copies. Anyway as a PR I am supposed to carry my alien book which is falling to pieces.

Need to carry a DL for driving though, even though most Thai drivers don't because they have never bothered to apply for one. If stopped by traffic cops, they never ask for passport, only DL.

I have never carried my passport . . . (I believe it is the law to carry it though from what I have read)

No, Thai law doesn't specify "passport." ID, yes. You'll see "passport" specified in various travel websites and even on some foreign embassy websites. But in fact, as determined by exhaustive investigation here on TV, Thai law says you must carry "ID" and nobody can show where the law says "passport."

A Thai DL is great because you must have had a passport at some point wink.png and because it's got your Thai address on it. Still, it seems a good idea to back it up w/ a copies of relevant pages of your passport. Passports fall under the purview of Immigration police, not your ordinary BiB, technically speaking.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

In my opinion the simplest answer to this is;

If out and about in your local area where you currently live whether that be Bangkok, Phuket, Roi Et, Koh Samui etc etc, carry a copy of your passport showing main page, last entry stamp, arrival card, visa etc etc.

If you have a 5 year Thai driving licence carry that as well as additional form of ID.

If you go outside of the area you live then carry your actual passport with you. If you were detained or arrested for whatever reason they will require to see your actual passport showing the relevant visa and relevant entry stamps etc. If you are miles away from home, it could be a long wait whilst someone brings your passport to wherever you have been held.

Carrying a photocopy of your Tabian Baan is also a good idea.

As others have mentioned if you lose your passport whilst out, it is a long and costly process to get a replacement.

It is no trouble at all to carry a photocopy of your passport and/or Tabian Baan, it could save you a lot of trouble.

How can you check into a hotel without a passport? I have never entered a large hotel and gone to registration when they didn't say PASSPORT! before I even had a chance to put down my travel bags.

No problems - checked into numerous hotels all over the country with a Thai 5Y DL. Also bought a car, a bike, rented bikes, rented houses, obtained a hospital registration card. Yes, they always ask for the passport, but when offered the DL are happy to accept that.

Edited by Gsxrnz

How can you check into a hotel without a passport? I have never entered a large hotel and gone to registration when they didn't say PASSPORT! before I even had a chance to put down my travel bags.

How often do you check into a hotel "when walking around Bangkok"?

When checking into hotels, hiring cars etc, a passport is usually, although not always, required. I have checked into a couple of hotels with my Australian drivers licence.

If you are just walking around or going out on the town, a passport is very rarely asked for.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

I've been stopped and asked a lot. I'd guess nine or ten times in six years. One time on different sides of the same street, which was incredibly annoying. But a photocopy of your photo page of the passport and a photocopy of whatever visa you have works fine. Used to have mine in paper, now have laminated.

And a polite smile as they search you doesn't hurt.

On side note, what one earth is JL Crab going on about..?

I don't have a driver's license and I don't live in Bangkok.

Classic Thai Visa post nowdays, an idiot doesn't read the initial post and then lets everyone know how stupid he is by following up with a series of dumb statements.

"I'm worried about walking down the street and being stopped by the police.."

"HOW DO YOU CHECK INTO A HOTEL???"

"....what that's got to do with anything...?"

"I DON'T LIVE IN BANGKOK. ALSO I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS TOPIC BUT HOPE I'VE MADE YOU FEEL SMALL..."

"...okay. move along,.."

Post #1 mentions nothing about one living in Bangkok. So sue me.

It's irrelevant whether he is living in an apartment in Bangkok or staying at a hotel. He is asking "Should I carry my passport original or photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?"

I been to several smaller hotels and got in with my thai DL

I've used my photocopy. The hotel just wants a copy of your passport on file to meet legal requirements. If their copy comes from your copy, no one's the wiser.

Post #1 mentions nothing about one living in Bangkok. So sue me.

It's irrelevant whether he is living in an apartment in Bangkok or staying at a hotel. He is asking "Should I carry my passport original or photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?"

Here's what I consider relevant whether in Bangkok or elsewhere: There is no situation where it is preferable to have a copy of a passport rather than the genuine article and the reverse is quite possible.