Should I carry my passport original or a photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?

The International Farang

So the consensus seems to be that one should not carry one's passport as the likelihood of its being lost is far greater than the odd chance that some Thai official might ask to see one's passport and not be satisfied to see anything other then the genuine passport and not some facsimile. So I would ask:

How does one going about losing one's passport? I started to enumerate the possible ways but what the heck. I guess given the number of persons who put their passport through the laundry, that means many carry the passport in their clothing pockets. If I did that I might worry about losing it as well.

Pickpockets, falling out of your pocket, getting out to use as ID in the bank, leaving it lying about in your room instead of the safe. Much rather leave it in my room safe.

Why would you keep your passport in your pocket in the first place? The passport is much safer in your room -- so are you.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

So it's settled. They would need first to find a competent official.

• Like 1

How can you check into a hotel without a passport? I have never entered a large hotel and gone to registration when they didn't say PASSPORT! before I even had a chance to put down my travel bags.

Big hotel, small hotel, all accept the Thai DL in leiu of the passport, perfectly acceptable every time, they ask for your passport because that's what they know to say but are always satisfied with the DL, same applies to airlines etc..

Many a Thai person on a motorbike making a left turn from onto a larger road will not look to the right before making the turn. That is because the Thai person has made that same turn maybe hundreds of times and there has never been any problem. If there is a cement truck coming close to the curb however, they are dead.

If you want to say that you don't carry your passport because you've been here x number of years and never previously been asked for your passport and that the chances are much greater that you might lose it than ever be asked to hand over the genuine article, or have some other situation whereby the actual passport would be preferable, then fine.

Edited by JLCrab

We were stopped at a Police road block on the way to Mae Sot from Tak and I was turned back cos I had no ID by a pri*k of an Immigration Officer who didnt care that we were only going shopping for a few hours. He said a passport photocopy was all that was required. Original was not neccessary.

• Like 1

I carry a photocopy of my American passport, with my original at home. I've luckily only been encountered by police when with my Thai mother and our other Thai relatives, and the first time I didn't have a copy of a thing. They spoke Thai with them and all was well, but from that point on, they all urge me before leaving the house to have my copies. When I fly back in January, I am applying for citizenship which I heard I can get fairly easily having been born in Thailand and having a Thai mother. My father is American, retired military, and of Irish descent (reddish brown hair and blue eyes). I don't look Thai at all, which is why my Mom said they were harassing me for a passport. I have light brown hair, sometimes hazel to light brown eyes and I sunburn easily. So if you don't blend in well, I suggest to carry a copy at minimum to avoid hassle.

It depends which area of Bangkok you happen to be walking in. I live around Phrom Pong/ Asoke and in the last year and a half - have been stopped 9 times and asked for passport, by both regular and traffic cops. I have also been searched several times - much to the amusement of local Thais.

It always starts with "where u come from", "or What hotel you stay" - so they obviously assume I am a tourist

I am convinced its a local problem (most officers have been from the notorious Thonglor police station) and I even consulted my lawyer as it was getting ridiculous.

He advised me that I have to submit to a search - no matter how degrading, however, I have a right to see the (police) identification card of the officer conducting the search and also have a right to have a witness present (on my behalf)

I have used both these 'rights' on the past few stop/searches and it really annoys the officers, but I stuck to my guns and even offered to continue the search at their station and they could explain to their boss why I was being awkward about it.

On all occasions they have eventually shown me their police ID card.

I suggested to one cop who was giving me a hard time that instead of stopping me on the off-chance I might be a 'hardened criminal' - perhaps he should put his efforts into stopping those who were actually committing real crimes just yards from where we were standing right in front of his face. (Drivers and motorcyclists, especially riding on the sidewalks) - he told me it wasn't his job. I reminded him that he wasn't immigration police either !!

I walk everywhere and have walked in many other areas of Bangkok and never ever been given even a second look by any police officer. Just in Asoke/Phrom Pong and Thonglor. (Sukhumvit areas)

If I am walking in these areas I now carry my passport. I did try using my D/L once - but the officer (rightly) said he couldn't check my visa status from a D/L. I always carry a copy now of my passport photo page and latest visa/extension stamp. Even in this area - that has sufficed (so far)

You sound like one bad-ass hombre, no wonder the cops like to shake you down ! cheesy.gif

It depends which area of Bangkok you happen to be walking in. I live around Phrom Pong/ Asoke and in the last year and a half - have been stopped 9 times and asked for passport, by both regular and traffic cops. I have also been searched several times - much to the amusement of local Thais.

It always starts with "where u come from", "or What hotel you stay" - so they obviously assume I am a tourist

I am convinced its a local problem (most officers have been from the notorious Thonglor police station) and I even consulted my lawyer as it was getting ridiculous.

He advised me that I have to submit to a search - no matter how degrading, however, I have a right to see the (police) identification card of the officer conducting the search and also have a right to have a witness present (on my behalf)

I have used both these 'rights' on the past few stop/searches and it really annoys the officers, but I stuck to my guns and even offered to continue the search at their station and they could explain to their boss why I was being awkward about it.

On all occasions they have eventually shown me their police ID card.

I suggested to one cop who was giving me a hard time that instead of stopping me on the off-chance I might be a 'hardened criminal' - perhaps he should put his efforts into stopping those who were actually committing real crimes just yards from where we were standing right in front of his face. (Drivers and motorcyclists, especially riding on the sidewalks) - he told me it wasn't his job. I reminded him that he wasn't immigration police either !!

I walk everywhere and have walked in many other areas of Bangkok and never ever been given even a second look by any police officer. Just in Asoke/Phrom Pong and Thonglor. (Sukhumvit areas)

If I am walking in these areas I now carry my passport. I did try using my D/L once - but the officer (rightly) said he couldn't check my visa status from a D/L. I always carry a copy now of my passport photo page and latest visa/extension stamp. Even in this area - that has sufficed (so far)

You sound like one bad-ass hombre, no wonder the cops like to shake you down ! cheesy.gif

I have two friends who are long haired and black respectively who complain about being harassed in Sukhumvit or Silom in this way.

Welcome to Thailand - a equal opportunities country.

I think the British Embassy describes it quite well:

http://uk-passport-service-guide.com/british-embassy-thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

Reality wise, as has been mentioned, it's rare to be asked for your passport. But it does happen, fines have been paid and foreigners have been hauled to the local police box to sort things out....err....negotiate.

This thread describes the Thai laws regarding this quite well:

Section 57 : For the purpose of Chapter 7 miscellaneous ; whoever claims his nationality is Thai and if there is not enough evidence for the competent official to believe that he has Thai nationality , it is presumed that such a person is an alien until he can prove other wise.

An application for proof of nationality under Para.1 of this Section will be submitted to the competent official in the accordance with the form and fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. If such person does not satisfy the competent official’s order , he may apply to the Court asking for consideration.

In the case where there is an application to the Court upon receiving and application, the Court shall notify the Public Prosecutor, who may, in turn, have a right for objection thereto.

And then Sections 58 & 59 go on to say:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

And this thread has some interesting information:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/

I don't think the British Embassy describes the law very well and has confused detention with arrest.

It's right there in black and white. The law doesn't say that aliens must be carrying their passports on their persons at all times. It merely says they must have a passport.

Being detained until you produce your passport isn't at all the same as being arrested. Of course you can be detained if they want to see your passport and if you don't have it on you. And a police "service charge" of a mere B1000 isn't the same as a court-ordered penalty following arrest and conviction. Being arrested might follow after you can't show that you have a passport at all. Then, far as I know, after the police record is checked, Immigration will take over.

As noted in the thread, a detention is extremely rare, almost unheard of, and would in all likelihood follow suspicion of your possibly being up to something else, as in the case of a drug raid on a nightclub.

I've never heard of anyone's ever being arrested and penalized under law for not carrying a passport on their person but being able to fetch one with reasonable dispatch. I strongly doubt there's ever been such a case.

Oh dear, stop it boys. No need need for acrimony. You might meet at the TV function on the 13th is it ?

I always carry my 2x5-year thai driving licences( Bike and Car) plus a minature laminated copy of my passport picture page with the Visa page on the reverse side. No problems encountered ever.

Never used to carry my passport. The weather is too humid. Hardly ever been asked for my passport in 30 years.

Nowadays only need it if I want to check into a hotel or draw large sums of money from my bank account (They stopped accepting Thai driver's licences in case they have been stolen). I do carry my Thai Drivers Licence at all times as a form of I.D.

There is one floor to the thai law of having to carry your passport at all times - what happens when you apply for your visa (china, india even extended 1 year in thailand) those embassies take your passports for xx days... that is the line I used in the past to police here just said doing the visa - and pp is there. If really they got an issue then yes they can insist and arrest u and wait for u to produce the pp when the embassy opened - but again its a floor noone wants to go out thier way over this...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tjis depends upon what you mean by "shake downs". If these are check points, then a passport will be needed. If it is just a cop asking you to show ID then a copy should do. But remember, what they are really only interested in is the entry stamp and arrivales card that you had to fill out. They just want to see that you have not over-stayed.

In BKK I have never carried my passport... just my driver's licence from California. I have also never been asked to show any ID. But my suggestion to you is if you are worried, then carry the passport with you. They are easy to replace if stolen and so not really anything more of a pain in ass if you have to replace them.

Travelers advice....worth noting...by an old Southeast Asia Hand.

Never carry your original passport with you while out strolling in ANY

foreign country...or home country for that matter. If it's lost or stolen

you're screwed until you go to your country's embassy and get a new

one. Which may be more difficult that you can imagine...situations

notwithstanding.

Make a copy of the first page (one with your photo & details on it plus

another copy of the page which has the current visa for the country

you are in. Carry these copies & a photo ID with you instead...perhaps

a name card of the hotel/place of residence also...just in case you get

into difficulties and cannot speak.

Leave your passport in the hotels safety deposit box (along with cash

you don't need to carry around). If where you stay; flop house, hostel

etc has no safe deposit box keep your passport stashed somewhere

in your baggage that you consider safe & not easily found out by prying

eyes or hands...and somehow figure out a way to lock your backpack up,

this can be done to an extent

In a home or apartment you may look into a small but high quality safe;

they can be expensive though. You may want to look for a good "stash"

instead which may work just as well as a safe or even better. Never

stash the passport & money in the same place...and...never forget

where the stash is.

While out tromping the streets you may want to use a couple zip lock

bags to put your passport photocopies & money inside...nobody likes

soggy money or ID's that are unreadable. It rains a lot out here.

Leave the "plastic" at "home" unless you're gonna use it. Yeah...Visa

says they'll replace a lost card in a 24 hour time frame....however in

reality....that's just not true.

And your wallet....well that's up to you. Remember pickpocketeers

are in abundance out here (and globally) and well trained...you won't

even know you're pocket's been picked. Besides....who wants to see

all that junk one carries around in one's wallet? Surely not the cutie

you've just met....

Use a rare commodity these days...your head...& think.....

This is also called situational awareness.

• Like 2

I have never carried my passport . . . (I believe it is the law to carry it though from what I have read)

No, Thai law doesn't specify "passport." ID, yes. You'll see "passport" specified in various travel websites and even on some foreign embassy websites. But in fact, as determined by exhaustive investigation here on TV, Thai law says you must carry "ID" and nobody can show where the law says "passport."

A Thai DL is great because you must have had a passport at some point wink.png and because it's got your Thai address on it. Still, it seems a good idea to back it up w/ a copies of relevant pages of your passport. Passports fall under the purview of Immigration police, not your ordinary BiB, technically speaking.

I have travelled throughout Thailand on motorcycle and by car, train and plane for several years. I have been asked for my passport by immigration officials and airline clerks; thus, I carry it while renewing visas or flying. I have also been asked for my passport by hotel clerks and for my drivers license by police, in both cases, I offer them my Florida drivers license. Never had a problem. However, I am sure some form of official documentation with the King's picture on it would suffice in most identification situations.

Sorry but I slipped straight to the end of the posts as could not be bothered to read the normal stupid replies. I think if you needed to ask this then you should not be travelling. Apart from Berlin in the 80's and Vietnam in the early 90's I've never done this anywhere. As for Bangkok read my second sentence.

When I go to Thailand, I am always based in Bangkok. In recent years, I always carry a photocopy of my passport with me when in Bangkok. When I travel outside Bangkok, I always take my passport with me.

I have spent around 9 years overall in Thailand and have been asked my passport in the street only twice. Interestingly, both came at a period when I had the habit of carrying the original passport. So, actually, I have had no encounter where I showed the photocopy, but from what I mostly hear, a copy is enough.

During that period when I was always carrying the original with me, and in the morning after one of my drunken nights, I got up and couldn't find my passport. I remember being really in shock. I thought it was gone while barhopping. Luckily, I found it somewhere unexpected in my room later :) But from shortly after that, I have never carried the original when in Bangkok, unless at times when it was necessary (eg. for some bank transactions and when going to various embassies for visa-application).

Just know that, if you carry the original with you, you always carry the risk of losing it, and also watch out for it getting wet in the rainy season :)

• Like 1

I have Thai driving license which is very useful.

Passport photocopy is great idea.

NEVER ORIGINAL

Make a copy of main page and visa page and copy back to back credit card size and have it laminated.

Always keep copy, full size on Internet.

And do the same with your Thai DL.

I use a Passport wallet to keep my passport, freq flyers cards, flight tickets, boarding pass, etc. together. Too bulky to carry around, uness you have a fanny pack, or something else to carry stuff in. But that's even bulkier. I could carry the passport in my pocket, but which pocket? It's still a sizable document. Out of habit, I tend to carry my usual wallet in my front pants pocket, with change and keys in the other. Adding the actual passport is just a bulky hassle. I keep my actual passport at home and carry photocopies of it with me when I'm out and about. If the copies are ever damaged or lost, I have extra photocopies that I can use to replace the missing copies. It's a lot easier carrying a photocopy than it is to carry around the original. I've never been stopped andasked to produce my passport, but since it is a form of identification, I carry the copies along just in case it's needed for some reason.

I wonder if a pic (of your passport & visa stamp) on your cellphone would be just as good as the photocopy or card copy thing...

Or even better, using a cheap throw away ell phone, a picture of your passport and visa on your really nice iPhone that you can then leave at home. :)

I wonder if a pic (of your passport & visa stamp) on your cellphone would be just as good as the photocopy or card copy thing...

Or even better, using a cheap throw away ell phone, a picture of your passport and visa on your really nice iPhone that you can then leave at home. smile.png

Cheap throw away phones don't have much in the way of graphics. Best is just to carry no phone but only the pic of your Iphone showing a pic of your passport and visa.