Is Thailand in trouble or not?

i claudius

Thailand always had the bar scene. Check the location of the brothels when the capital was Ayutthaya. It was always a part of Thai culture.

PS Saigon tried to get rid of the gambling and working girls and they ended up loosing the war. Are Kings Cross and Soho that bad? I like Vegas and Reno.

Cheap entertainment and diversion for the proles, is Vegas and Reno.

Thailand has not always had the bar scene, but was introduced to it in the 60s by GIs, and the crowd of misfits who catered to them.

GIs don't know what to do for a good time usually, so they just follow their swinging ones, as usual.

"The brothels of Ayutthaya and the women who worked in them are not topics that usually appear in history books describing the ancient capital of Siam. But noted anthropologist Srisakara Vallibhotama feels their presence and interaction in the communities more than 400 years ago says much about the people and the way of life in the old capital."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Leisure-The-ladies-of-Ayutthaya-20001108.html

No not the 1960's but don't feel bad you only missed it by 400 years.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand always had the bar scene. Check the location of the brothels when the capital was Ayutthaya. It was always a part of Thai culture.

PS Saigon tried to get rid of the gambling and working girls and they ended up loosing the war. Are Kings Cross and Soho that bad? I like Vegas and Reno.

Thailand has not always had the bar scene, but was introduced to it in the 60s by GIs, and the crowd of misfits who catered to them.

GIs don't know what to do for a good time usually, so they just follow their swinging ones, as usual.

"The brothels of Ayutthaya and the women who worked in them are not topics that usually appear in history books describing the ancient capital of Siam. But noted anthropologist Srisakara Vallibhotama feels their presence and interaction in the communities more than 400 years ago says much about the people and the way of life in the old capital."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Leisure-The-ladies-of-Ayutthaya-20001108.html

I know the history of the bar scene in Thailand having read about it, and also seen it once or twice in the distant past during the time it was new to Thailand.

The bar scene I refer to is that which marked a significant Thai cultural addition and change beginning in the 60s, with the influx of US GIs, and which continued on after the GIs left.

We do not, and Thailand does not, need the GIs' cultural remnants hanging on here any longer.

Thailand was not known as a sex tourism destination until just around the time the GIs left.

Foreign workers from the US and Europe came in to fill the void left by the GIs, as well.

None of it helps the economy or the social order or the culture here.

The economic growth that the sex tourism provides can be easily replaced in other better ways.

Old China hand if you want to talk about it get it right. The GI bar scene was much more like the Ayutthaya bar scene and governed by a set of rule and regulations where both parties had rights and obligations. No go go bars then.

You are talking about the Euro trash bar scene with go go bars that was started after the GI's left post 1975.

Old China hand if you want to talk about it get it right. The GI bar scene was much more like the Ayutthaya bar scene and governed by a set of rule and regulations where both parties had rights and obligations. No go go bars then.

You are talking about the Euro trash bar scene with go go bars that was started after the GI's left post 1975.

Well maybe, if you insist.

But, also, were you here in the late 60s, and very early 70s?

Well maybe, if you insist.

But, also, were you here in the late 60s, and very early 70s?

Yes. I was a very handsome man in my uniform back then. smile.png

• Like 1

There is smug historyprof talking about ancient history again like it is some how still relevant to this or just about any other topic.

Tell us historyprof. What does ancient history tell us about global stock markets, macro economics, international corporations, international banking, foreign currency exchange, or anything else you can think of that is relevant to this thread? Besides the worlds oldest profession.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

Response to LAPD

OldChinaHam brought it up first not I. (OldChinaHam, on 09 Sept 2013 - 04:41, said:)"Thailand has not always had the bar scene, but was introduced to it in the 60s by GIs, and the crowd of misfits who catered to them. GIs don't know what to do for a good time usually, so they just follow their swinging ones, as usual."

That post was in error and defamatory and I corrected it.

""The brothels of Ayutthaya and the women who worked in them are not topics that usually appear in history books describing the ancient capital of Siam. But noted anthropologist Srisakara Vallibhotama feels their presence and interaction in the communities more than 400 years ago says much about the people and the way of life in the old capital."

http://www.nationmul...a-20001108.html

He brought it up. If he wants to talk about history at least he can get it correct instead of making up his own version.

Edited by historyprof
  • Like 1