Travel recommendations - somewhere dead quiet inland from Bangkok?

razorramone

I've been in bkk for six months now without leaving and i'd really like to get out of the city, find somewhere quiet and slow down for a week. I go to a park every week but of course it is not the same.

Would anyone recommend a place? I'd rather it be inland than on the coast, but apart from that im totally open minded. Got a budget of about 10k total.

pak chong - khao yai, or perhaps a river room in kanchanaburi, even muang nakhon pathom is not far and a change of pace. further a field is nong khai - take the sleeper train. pakse in laos is easy enough to get to too. chantaburi is pleasant enough too.

Edited by mamba yuck
  • Like 1

I am typing this from Camelia Resort in Kanchanaburi, and I highly recommend K-Buri and Camelia.

Looking out my veranda over the river as I type. It's a perfect weekend or longer getaway from my apartment and job in BKK. Also, about a mile from the Bridge on the River Kwai, and has lots of history.

Expat entertainment runs from some mildly hopping bars on the tourist strip to kicking back and just watching the river go by.

2-1/2 hours with no traffic, 4 hours last night, most of that getting out of BKK.

I can't say enough good stuff about KBuri.

If you're chasing skirts, stay at the Jolly Frog for backpacker chicks. (and I do mean chicks- a generation younger than me) I'm not in the market so I don't know anything except there's always a bunch eating and reading in the restaurant. Otherwise, there are dozens of other hotels and guest houses. I'm just here for the peace, quiet and a little paddling up and mostly down the river.

Edited by impulse

10K, for a week, won't buy "quiet".

It could be half a week. Plus I live quite cheap, I don't drink or go to any nightlife smile.png

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm looking most at Kanchanaburi. Looks very nice, and surprisingly cheap hotels too.

The only thing im not sure is how to get there. I've literally used nothing but BTS and taxis since arriving here. I pass through victory monument sometime and it looks like a bordello.

Edited by razorramone

I am typing this from Camelia Resort in Kanchanaburi, and I highly recommend K-Buri and Camelia.

Looking out my veranda over the river as I type. It's a perfect weekend or longer getaway from my apartment and job in BKK. Also, about a mile from the Bridge on the River Kwai, and has lots of history.

Expat entertainment runs from some mildly hopping bars on the tourist strip to kicking back and just watching the river go by.

2-1/2 hours with no traffic, 4 hours last night, most of that getting out of BKK.

I can't say enough good stuff about KBuri.

If you're chasing skirts, stay at the Jolly Frog for backpacker chicks. (and I do mean chicks- a generation younger than me) I'm not in the market so I don't know anything except there's always a bunch eating and reading in the restaurant. Otherwise, there are dozens of other hotels and guest houses. I'm just here for the peace, quiet and a little paddling up and mostly down the river.

if your chasing skirts kan is a waste on time unless your into lady boys

Salavan- I have not been accosted by a single lady boy in K-Buri. I haven't even seen anyone that I could identify as a ladyboy (though I don't drink and don't hang out where that's the prevailing activity). Not saying they're are none, but they are not as thick as other places I've been in Thailand.

There are a lot of attractive women, but that's not why I go there since I'm off the market, being already at my limit of GF's (at 1, BTW)

I can easily spend a week in KBuri for 10K and be very nicely accommodated. But that doesn't include beer money which could easily blow that budget even if you slept on the street. Or you can splurge and spend that much in a day staying at one of the rich hotels. Camelia is in the middle of the mix at 1000 baht per night and beautiful grounds.

Stepped out of a downpour last night at Jolly Frog and noticed they had accommodations for 70 baht, though I think that may not be a private room...may not even be indoors for all the attention I was paying. I stayed in one of their 250 baht (A/C) rooms before and it was on the ragged edge of acceptable for a place to crash.

Trip home was 2-1/2 hours today to Asoke area.

Edited by impulse