Open a small Food shop in commercial center of Bkk

Adrien, you know what's going to happen mate. You say she's not a girlfriend but you say she hasn't cheated? Don't get that. Are you hoping she may become a girlfriend if you set her up because she's a bit bored. She knows this aswell. They may act daft but when it comes to extracting money from a farang they are world class.

A few years back I met a girl and was going to help her set up one of those semi-permanent coffee shops on a soi off Sukhumvit. Just a few hundred quid. We went to look at the premises, spoke about rent etc, stock, made a business plan/forecast, I said we, yes we both looked into it. We both went but it was at my prompting all the time. She was totally clueless about this sort of thing, she just thought it was a good idea at the time. We then decided it wasn't a good idea. The problem is with many Thai girls they are dreamers. They want the money but are reluctant to put in the effort. It's much easier to get a farang to send 20,000 occasionally with some sort of vague promise based upon how savvy the farang is.

Up to you.

What gets me here from the OP is the BigC factor. Surely no one in their right mind and opening any kind of food shop would buy the ingredients from a BigC shop? That is a red flag. Many will buy from the local market. Some also use Makro. I feel the OP is on a loser before he starts because the lady does not seem to be knowledgeable even though her mother runs a place already.

Adrian, photos you posted are typical of many in Thailand. It will all depend on location, location, location! Usually they are located in new very clean business centers or shopping malls. But who are the customers? I've seen them fail and succeed. It all depends on how much effort your friend puts into it. If you only put in 20K baht, then don't put in another baht until you see a profit made or a genuine effort made. You'll know within 3 months I'm sure. Just don't sign any contracts for a lease. And make a simple contract for your "loan" or simple statement it was a gift so there is no hard feelings later. Good luck with your venture.

Where DO you people meet these girls????

I NEVER meet girls like this asking me for money.

Seriously.

It's generally when you stay in touch with them as a friend, email, Sype that sort of thing. Thai's seem to equate friendliness from a farang as weakness or stupidity. I've stayed in touch with loads of girls over the years and once they've hit me with a money request they get ignored. Eventually they apologise and continue as if nothing has happened. It's in their genes, they can't help it.

Where DO you people meet these girls????

I NEVER meet girls like this asking me for money.

Seriously.

It's generally when you stay in touch with them as a friend, email, Sype that sort of thing. Thai's seem to equate friendliness from a farang as weakness or stupidity. I've stayed in touch with loads of girls over the years and once they've hit me with a money request they get ignored. Eventually they apologise and continue as if nothing has happened. It's in their genes, they can't help it.

Right enough, it's in their jeans.

Too late – the OP gave it away already. For others in a similar situation:

Step 1. Advise her to take one of the free entrepreneurship courses offered by the government or local NGOs.

Step 2. Once she is finished, send her to one of the several government loan programs or NGO micro lending schemes for people to open small business just like this. Start with the SME Bank.

Thailand has loads of programs to help people in this exact situation – with both expertise AND access to finance. I will never understand why people chose the handout method – which will usually results in requests for more money and, eventually, a failed business.