Airport Taxis on Three Day Strike

khwaibah

Why, oh why don't they just use the meter like they do in Bangkok. I'm a lefty and would support any legitimate strike, but the whole taxi structure in CM needs overhauling. It's always been in hoc to the local songthaew/tuk-tuk mafia. Get rid of the dirty polluting songthaew, fit the tuk-tuks with efficient/electric engines and use the meters on the taxis. Then as funds permit, introduce a light rail system and a bus service and DON'T LET the transport mafia intimidate the project!

Why, oh why don't they just use the meter like they do in Bangkok. I'm a lefty and would support any legitimate strike, but the whole taxi structure in CM needs overhauling. It's always been in hoc to the local songthaew/tuk-tuk mafia. Get rid of the dirty polluting songthaew, fit the tuk-tuks with efficient/electric engines and use the meters on the taxis. Then as funds permit, introduce a light rail system and a bus service and DON'T LET the transport mafia intimidate the project!

Succinct! No need for the tuk tuk "mafia" to object. They will, after all, still provide the most economical and flexible point-to-point service in town. Taxis will always be too expensive for us hoi polloi.

PS One of these days it would be nice to ban motorbikes in town! Don't they do that in Yangon? But that's another topic...

The fares they charge are extremely reasonable, perhaps too low. The only way this will get resolved is higher fares. Hate to see the drivers get boned by the owners. They are good people.

Agree - I pay 150 Baht for a ride to a downtown hotel - nobody can say that is expensive

Yes but go the other way - say to Hang Dong - shorter journey and yet 250+ baht. I think they should all be enforced metres and simply put the metre rate up to make it match say 150 baht to town outside of rush hour.

If you were not a 'lefty' I would agree with you!

PS I do agree

I think one problem for these "real" taxis, might be that they have no chance of return fares. I never see those "real" taxis anywhere, but at the airport. Although you can call them to your house, but then they also want a really high fare, seems to me, the few times I tried it. (As in, they want you to pay a full fare to get to your house, and then a full fare to go where you are going.)

I like having the better car, or should I say "real car" experience over a tuk-tuk, but that can become rather expensive in comparison.

But overall, I would say CM has a rather tame situation, regarding taxi, tuk-tuk, whatever, we can't complain too much.

And from my reading of this news report, the raise was 2K baht per month, PLUS 20K a year, which is another 1666 baht per month, so more than $100 per month? That seems rather steep.

• Like 1

tuk tuks and taxi will always try to rip you off at any airport in Thailand.i would try to avoid using them if possible,but sometimes I can not avoid.i like the train now in bkk,take the train and you get pretty much to where you need to go.then a short taxi ride if needed

You might want to reconsider a train ride to Chiang Mai from Bangkok. They regularly take the train off of the track some times in the middle of no where.

You do realize we are in Chiang Mai don't you.

Why is it only tuck tucks and songthowes that need electric engines what about the private cars there are far more of them on the road.

Could i give an advice?

I'm local Thai. when i back from study, i arrived Bkk and use taxi sevice, Toyata camry, from a service company to visit friends along the way going to chiengmai. They have good service and standard price. Just look on internet first and decide what the best choice for you. ( or look at empty taxi which i mean, green vehicle registration, These car can pick up anywhere not only at the airport.) This is good choice for me when i travel alone, i feel safe.

• 2 weeks later...