How ....to propose a lovely park for Chiang Rai?

boomerangutang

I call it Lion Hill, because it looks like a reclining lion when seen from north or south. Currently, it has a small cave at its west end, with some Buddha Statues inside. About 4 monks reside there. The hill is within sight of Chiang Rai town, if you look NW from the Mae Fa Luang bridge. I paced it out at 2.5 Km (1.5 miles) circumference.

maplionhillmed.jpg

There is a sizeable cavern near its east end. Not the small cave visible to the road, though that's cool in itself. Rather a cavern spacious enough to house a large 140' tree - with a skylight and bats. As if that's not cool enough, it can be entered from the south (river side) and exited from the north, with a bit of rock climbing (no gear needed).

The hill needs official sanctioning as a park. I've spoken with nearby pu yai ban about it. I don't speak Thai well, so the best I could get from him was something like "we will do something in 5 years." He also alluded to charging an entry free (yuk).

It's an ideal spot, near the city, for a free park. The 1st thing toward that (after getting permission from authorities) is getting a perimeter path built. There's already been a concrete path, 2 m wide, built along its SW side. That's good.

Along with some helpers, I've started clearing paths at the SE corner (up to cavern entrance) and out at the north side of the cavern.

Though I mentioned this park idea with a Forestry authority, he just grinned, raised his eyebrows, and went about doing something else. Constructive suggestions and/or on-the-ground clearing from anyone interested - is appreciated. If anyone reading this has connections with Forestry Dept. or other pertinent authorities, let me know.

I've also thought of doing fundraisers (to build the perimeter path) - though it would probably be most effective among farang, because Thais don't seem to care much about park space.

web site with maps and added detail

I really don’t get it. If the Thais don’t want it and I assume the tourists don’t know or care, then who aside from your good self is this park supposed to be for?

The Thais already have the kind of city park they like, in the form of the old airport or perhaps the beach. Surrounding our tiny little town, are an abundance of parks and forests that are underutilized most of the year. It is not like we are living in Bangkok and need a Lumpini in the center of town. I don't see the problem.

A mention of Lumpini park in Bkk: it's quite small compared to the size of the city and its population. It's Thai style to have tiny or no parks in cities in town. Even when Thais build parks, they feel obligated to pour lots of concrete all around, and commemorate Sangha and/or royalty with icons, symbols and statues.

I don't agree C.Rai is a 'tiny little town.' It's about as big as Chiang Mai was 25 years ago, and could easily become as big as Chiang Mai (is now) in 10 years. Incidentally, C.Mai essentially doesn't have parks. The closest it has is an area about twice the size of a basketball court with a fountain and endless cars zipping by.

Both farang and Thai would go to a lovely natural park near town. Where is there a jogging trail near downtown? Ok, a little bit by the army base. Lion Hill is about 3 Km from downtown. The old airport is a long wide strip of asphalt with some turf on either side. The basketball hoops were added 10 years ago. Before they were added, a person could say, "Why add basketball hoops? Who would use them? There aren't any now, so why do you think Thais would use them?"

Even if a lot of folks didn't go to a new trail around a beautiful hill, it's nice to have such a thing nearby.

As for the 70 meter waterfall south of town. Yes, there are some nice waterfalls in the vicinity. I know of 4. All are between 22 and 40 minutes drive. My favorite two are the creek west of Bandu, and Huay Mae Sai northwest of town (not Mae Sai city).

If you didn't know about the cave I described in the OP, where would you guess the closest cave is to C.Rai? I don't know either.

Imagine also, groups of schoolkids going on field trips to Lion Hill. Besides caves, there are dozens of varieties of large trees, including what could be the largest red fig tree anywhere. What an opportunity for schoolkids to experience, and learn some things about nature - particularly if they had a good guide.

Additionally, the rock climbing potential at that hill is incredible. At least 9 gnarly crags with dozens of potential routes. If anyone reading this has been to Had Raily (Railey beach) in Krabi province, they might appreciate the interest that can get generated by hundreds of climbing enthusiasts arriving from all over the world. Incidentally, nearly all the guides at Railey are Thais, and can you guess why they acclimated so well to rock climbing? Mostly because of the tradition, down there, of gathering swift nests from high rock walls. The routes in Krabi were almost all bolted by farang. The revenue from climbing (and related tourist stuff) there brings in a respectable amount of revenue, probably several million bt. per day.

But even if no rock climbing or caving went on at Lion Hill, the place is perfectly suited for a lovely natural park, near town, and free for anyone. Incidentally, no one has yet ventured to answer the question posed in the title of this thread.

The Khun Korn waterfall national park is close to town with well maintained grounds and walking trail.

The two universities are very park-like, as well.xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

sorry to be contrarian, but altho Rajabat is pleasant, with trees and such, I have to say that MFL U is not. When I went in the open space framed by the buildings, I felt like I was in something designed by the 3rd Reich. All so stilted, artificial, symmetrical, .....not my style, suffice to say.

I think there are two separate rotary clubs in CR....I could probably get you a contact name etc if you like but doubt there will be much English spoken....I worked via one of the Rotarys last year and they were helpful on a project connected with an aussie rotary...but I had an English speaking thai friend who was the go between...

Chiang Rai North

Rotary Club

Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Prov., Thailand

Dusit Island Resort Hotel

1129 Kraisorasit Rd.

Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Prov. 57000

Thailand

Meets Thurs, Sunset

Chiang Rai

Rotary Club

Chiang Rai, Thailand

Wieng Indra Hotel

Meuang

Chiang Rai,

Thailand

Meets Wed, Sunset

I would love to be a fly on the wall at your presentation.wink.png

I don't get out much, and don't mix much with folks. So, it's rather unlikely that I'll get an effective campaign going toward developing the trail around that hill. If I was more in my element, in my home country, using my native language, it would be more plausible. Yet, even there, years ago, I didn't get campaigns going. Though I did know a guy there who was endeavoring to get a nature trail built from the California coast to and across the Rocky Mountains - eventually coast to coast. He, and people like that (and me), are considered odd balls, but he actually got several miles of trail built (with locally donated funds), and it's a great boon to that community.

Even trying to do simpler things, in Thailand, particularly for a farang, is quixotic - unless that person has good connections in high places. I noticed there's a park being developed on a little sand island, just upstream from Dusit Island. I thought to contact those people behind it, but on the poster all I saw were logos and a large picture of a royal. So it must be royally sanctioned, which is probably the only feasible way to get something like that going.

They even have mountain bikes for rent.

Rai+Boonrawd++009.jpg

nice photo, and nice to hear there's a park like that - particularly if it offers use of bicycles. How much?

As a comparison to the OP, I would venture that the Singha Park is considerably further from downtown than the park space referred to in the OP. But it's like having different colored flowers in a garden. There's no need for one to be preferable to the other. They can all be appreciated.

Edited by boomerangutang