Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

If all you have is a bronze medal that is not very impressive, how about the helmet invention what was that all about, or was that it?

What have you invented that serves humankind?

And technology that saves lives isn't impressive to you?

Edited by bangkockney
  • Like 1

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems the answer to the original question is no not really. It would take hours to list British inventions, here ar just the computing ones listed on wiiki

Computing[edit source | editbeta]

While I'm sure there are a lot of creative Thai's I have to remember that patent protection begins and ends at the border. It's possible to get a Thai patent on an item that's been sold in Europe or the USA for years. It also works the other way. Probably shouldn't happen, but it does.

For anyone really interested, go to USPTO.gov and do a patent search for patents where the patent owner or inventor lists Thailand as an address.

I'm sure there are European sites to do the same, but I have only searched the USPTO site.

Can you give a more specific URL. USPTO.gov just is the landing page and its very difficult to find what you are referring to.

I think also to strengthen your claim, it would help if you could give us an infographic that shows the total number of Patents for each country and where Thailand sits.

My claim is that there are some inventive Thais. Other than that, I have nothing to strengthen.

The USPTO website takes awhile to learn, but it's pretty easy once you have done a search or 20.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm

the education system doesn't encourage independent creative thinking, just obedient zombie nation ,that act like sheep

Whoever the OP is and whatever country he came from and whatever education system spawned him and all the people posting in this thread I wonder why all of the people posting here have not noticed the 13 page thread spanning 7 years. Yup 7 years and 13 pages of anti Thai posters ranting about how few inventions Thailand has thought of.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/13420-thai-inventions/page-13

Do we really need this thread to read all the same old SH** again and again and again......

Or could be move this small thread to the big one of 13 pages spanning 7 years already?

OP: From the Yale Law & Technology website, Thailand now sits third behind the US and Japan in terms of estimated biotech patents.

http://www.yalelawtech.org/ip-in-the-digital-age/biotech-in-thailand-how-patents-can-change-a-developing-nation/

I'm really impressed.

"On the agricultural side, the now great success has been with their genetically modified resistant rice. This helped the Thai agricultural economy expand rapidly and has made Thailand the largest exporter of rice in the world. Beyond this, Thailand is one of only five nations in the world with net food exports."

Didn't they also invent the rotting rice warehouse?

How about something high tech like a train that will stay on the tracks?

Edited by NeverSure

So basically No

The Thais are not inventors but they can be quite ingenious in other ways. I am a man who has worked on construction sites for 20 years, when they built my house they showed me easier ways of doing quite complex jobs,

Also the art of spending your hard earned in Pattaya must an invention ,,I've seen the tight fisted of men leave with nothing

OP: From the Yale Law & Technology website, Thailand now sits third behind the US and Japan in terms of estimated biotech patents.

http://www.yalelawtech.org/ip-in-the-digital-age/biotech-in-thailand-how-patents-can-change-a-developing-nation/

I'm really impressed.

"On the agricultural side, the now great success has been with their genetically modified resistant rice. This helped the Thai agricultural economy expand rapidly and has made Thailand the largest exporter of rice in the world. Beyond this, Thailand is one of only five nations in the world with net food exports."

Didn't they also invent the rotting rice warehouse?

How about something high tech like a train that will stay on the tracks?

The above was a nice positive post about a nation that the whole population would fit one state and there are States who have a larger GNP. But instead of saying something positive about the above positive post you point out something negative that has come from left field?

What kind of training are you undergoing to visit Thailand. Posting everything negative you can think of about Thailand and Thai people? Do you really think any of them will like you if you point out all the negatives you can think of about Thailand?

I don't mean to pick on you but how can you guys post all the negative stuff; what kind of results do you get at home when you tell it to the wife or GF?

Look at the General forum right now. Hi honey your country sure stinks and I really miss it back home and I'll never get used to eating dogs, motorcycle gangs and the organ harvesters are chasing me.

Edited by historyprof
  • Like 1

nothing significant at all then, as expected.

You have read all 13 pages of the first thread? Of course not. Is that the idea behind the new thread?

Som tam would appear to be the only invention of merit and the only one that has affected the lives of Thais.

You have read all 13 pages of the first thread? Of course not. Is that the idea behind the new thread?

Som tam would appear to be the only invention of merit and the only one that has affected the lives of Thais.

There is a difference between Philippine women and Thai women. The Thai women want to stay in Thailand and the Philippine women want to go to wherever you live. Western rich old men retire in Thailand and rich old Thai men retire in Thailand. The answer is in the things the Thais have invented but each man has to discover it himself. If you don't live here you never gonna know.smile.png

• Like 1

Don't let facts get in the way of your prejudices.

the education system doesn't encourage independent creative thinking, just obedient zombie nation ,that act like sheep

You have studied the curriculum?

I doubt that he's capable of studying anything.

My step daughter was 10 when she moved to the UK and started at a UK school. Apart from the obvious, English, British history etc, she was ahead of her British contemporaries in universal subjects such as maths and science.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

As the OP of this thread I am a little disappointed in the overwhelming negative tone. I was not looking for negative criticism but answers to a question. I have already had posters acuse me of encouraging negativity even though that was not my intent.

I am well aware of the lack of patent protection here and also the inward looking slant of the education system. I was just hoping that someone could help me out with the question, and thankfully some of you have.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To be fair to the Thai people nothing of any value has ever come out of Africa and that's an absolutely massive continent with way more people than Thailand and probably the whole of SE Asia.

Nothing of any value came out of Africa? Where do you figure man first discovered fire and agriculture? What about all of the innovations that were made in Egypt? How about the first human heart transplant?

Seriously, sir, yours is not the garden variety type of ignorance.

I guess it's about time I contribute my five cents. to this topic. I have a newspaper clip from a 2005 ( or 2006 ??) Hua Hin municipal magazine, in which it is explained by the Hua Hin City Mayor that City Hall has extended and improved municipal waste collecting to the point, that all plastic material will get separated from household trash - because it can be reused. The report says Hua Hin City Management has invented means to recycle plastic back into it's original state - into crude or raw oil.

I have kept this newsclip during all the years because I am waiting for the Hua Hin City Mayor to come out BIG with the news and make the whole world happy, with a patent or something similar, because it means the end of our worries about the decline of oil deploration . . . . . .but never anything like this happened since.

Well, they say Homo Sapiens wiped out the Neanderthals, a little reverse psychology on T.V, where the NeanderTrolls are wiping out the Homo sapiens biggrin.png

Moss, where have you been, the forum has been devalued in worth because of your absence.

The best all encompassing description of human beings is this one..........

"The ape that got lucky"

Be thankful for who you are, because to be quite honest, you are not even remotely responsible for most it, and that is aimed at everyone.