Self Storage for small items in Chiang Mai?

NCC1701A

I did a search of TV and some of the info on this subject is a little dated, and Chiang Mai is changing so fast so I thought I would ask this question again.

I need to store two or three duffel bags, a motorcycle helmet (no bike) and a small backpack.

So I need a small space that is secure. I am thinking like 4x4x4 (feet) with a pad lock inside a building that is guarded.

I saw the ads for Big Move Self Storage. Anybody had any dealings with this company?

Or any other places?

• Like 1

Be aware that if you do find a suitable place to store your things, you might fall victim to damage by mold, whether it's on books and papers, clothing, especially leather items, and such. Storage spaces in the tropics should be weather controlled.

• Like 1

I'm under the impression that self storage can not be found. This is because the owner is liable for what you put in the storage. Eg you store drugs and he gets put in prison.

Most people recommend renting a cheap room for a few months.

The old threads may look out of date but nothing much has changed, in particular the old chestnut about renting a cheap room to store your stuff. The reasons why that doesn't work out well are legion and I don't know of anyone who has actually done it and would do it again.

The reason that there are not an abundance of places offering self storage of even semi international standards (secure, easy access, humidity control, insurance. payment online, pickup & delivery etc) is that the people who want that kind of service, and are willing to pay a price that would make a business viable, are simply not numerous enough. With real estate prices moving the way they are it may yet come about but to make any serious money the offer will have to be good enough to attract the local market.

This is not going to help you but I've often thought there would be a market for this kind of place. Large Self-storage as well... just thinking...

Actually there isn't a market for it - at least for now. I remember a few years ago when Greenside's friend conducted market research on opening a professional operation with flood prevention, professional security, and so forth. On the questionnaire (as I recall) was the question of what would the prospective renter be willing to pay monthly for the storage. Nobody wanted to pay much for the storage.

Also there is the legal issue which has already been raised.