Things to do, when you live in Phuket.

Marcoose

Cool - good suggestion - bought a DSLR a while back but the thing confused me with all the settings. Do really need to start using it but think I need to buy a better zoom lens

I'm not really interested in touristy, one off stuff like going to the zoo, so yeah, hobbies I guess.

Are you after one off things to do here, or a list of hobbies you can undertake here?

Photography. There's some good photo op's on Phuket.

I've got a few nice photos that I took and got them enlarged and framed and sitting in my place.

They are not professional quality, but they are not too bad for an amateur, and it's satifying looking at them everyday.

Basically, decorate you place a little with your own work.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

What about spending some time helping charities such as "Phuket Sunshine Village" or the "Life home project"?

Organising collections of toys etc not used anymore, fund raising and the like. Very humbling yet rewarding when you see the joy in the kids eyes when handing out the toys.

• Like 1

What about spending some time helping charities such as "Phuket Sunshine Village" or the "Life home project"?

Organising collections of toys etc not used anymore, fund raising and the like. Very humbling yet rewarding when you see the joy in the kids eyes when handing out the toys.

This was suggested to me just yesterday.

I would have no problems donating some of my time, knowledge and skills, for the poor, but I am under the belief you need a work permit to do volunteer work in Thailand.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Some may say, "Oh, but the chances of getting caught are slim" or something similar, but I would like to remain legal here and do not want to be extorted, or chaged and deported.

I would have no problems donating some of my time, knowledge and skills, for the poor, but I am under the belief you need a work permit to do volunteer work in Thailand.

Some may say, "Oh, but the chances of getting caught are slim" or something similar, but I would like to remain legal here and do not want to be extorted, or chaged and deported.

Not sure about that NKM............all I did was to go and collect some toys (and bought some sweets to add in) then take them to the Life Home Project. And mean to do more of it!

Can anyone else throw some light on the work permit topic??

• Like 1

Not sure about that NKM............all I did was to go and collect some toys (and bought some sweets to add in) then take them to the Life Home Project. And mean to do more of it!

Can anyone else throw some light on the work permit topic??

Donating toys and sweets shouldn't be a problem. I have done this up north.

"Organising collections of toys etc not used anymore, fund raising and the like." - this is the part of your post I was referring to, but others here would know more about the legalities than me.

Howabout setting up a group using meetup.com. I'm surprised there aren't any active groups in the Phuket area; Bangkok has many and they appear to be very successful. From sports to photography to computer games! Who wants to try one here?

• Like 1

What would you do at home?

Bit of internet

Bit of gym

Not at home but do some Thai language lessons, cheap as anything and enables you to chat with the locals, speaking some Thai certainly enriches my visits.

Do some exploring, even though transport on Phuket is awkward you can still explore places closer to home.

Set yourself a project, for example off the top of my head do an internet affiliate, will cost you next to nothing and research the subject thoroughly. You might even end up making some money.

Find other expats who often run clubs or have trips. Not all expat clubs are for drinking.

Pack your bag and spend a week or two just touring around Thailand, backpacker style to non-tourist hangouts. Preferably after learning some Thai. I promise you, your eyes will be opened.

Treat yourself to a slap up meal once in a while.

Do a Thai cooking course, not one of the touristy ones but a proper local one.

Invite a few pals round to dinner with your newly acquired skills.

Get a whore in occasionally if that is your thing.

I'm into photography, not for everyone, but a fascinating hobby if you get into it. Some of those spectacular thunderstorms on Phuket are well worth a picture.

How about coaching muay thai, not so much wear and tear on your body.

Fishing.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years and never once got bored, frustrated but never bored. You may need a change of surroundings for 6 months or so.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Haha, I am an affiliate :)

One thing I wish they would sort out is the transit system. A sound bus system would do the island a world of good and would definitely encourage me to get out and about more often.

What would you do at home?

Bit of internet

Bit of gym

Not at home but do some Thai language lessons, cheap as anything and enables you to chat with the locals, speaking some Thai certainly enriches my visits.

Do some exploring, even though transport on Phuket is awkward you can still explore places closer to home.

Set yourself a project, for example off the top of my head do an internet affiliate, will cost you next to nothing and research the subject thoroughly. You might even end up making some money.

Find other expats who often run clubs or have trips. Not all expat clubs are for drinking.

Pack your bag and spend a week or two just touring around Thailand, backpacker style to non-tourist hangouts. Preferably after learning some Thai. I promise you, your eyes will be opened.

Treat yourself to a slap up meal once in a while.

Do a Thai cooking course, not one of the touristy ones but a proper local one.

Invite a few pals round to dinner with your newly acquired skills.

Get a whore in occasionally if that is your thing.

I'm into photography, not for everyone, but a fascinating hobby if you get into it. Some of those spectacular thunderstorms on Phuket are well worth a picture.

How about coaching muay thai, not so much wear and tear on your body.

Fishing.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years and never once got bored, frustrated but never bored. You may need a change of surroundings for 6 months or so.

Good luck!

• Like 1

we just got mountain bikes and me and the missus go around nai harn lake every morning and we're loving it

The Nai Harn lake area is not the safest place in the early morning,

Be careful out there and the lake is a bit of a cesspool at times as well

we're not super early, about 7:30ish, why do you think its not safe? virtually no traffic, plenty of joggers and a few bicyclists and a few burmese construction workers

getting to and from nai harn from my place is a bit scary sometimes i guess

Bored....Pffft...

1. Buy a surfboard and learn to surf (low season plenty of waves)

2. Buy a kayak and a cheap fishing rod and troll for bamug (squid) at the beaches with rocky headlands such as Naiharn, Surin or Nai thon.  You will be suprised how easy and fun it is to catch squid and how good they taste when cooked fresh (high season no waves)

3. Rent a penthouse apartment in around Soi Dibuk and use it as a base to date the lovely Thai girls who work in the banks, shops and other businesses in Phuket town.  You will be pleasantly suprised how lovely these girls are and how much more attractive they are when compared to the bargirls in the tourist areas.  I did this for six months last year and had date with a new girl about every two days. I was actually the polar opposite of bored...I ended up stressed and decided to get rid of the apartment and just focus my attentions on one girl.  You can use this time to practice your Thai and to familiarize yourself with the many nooks and crannies that comprise the old part of the city.

4. Hike.  There are lots of good trails through the mountains that offer spectacular views.

5. I try to have a trip off the island at least once a week.  But I always ride my supermotard.  One of my favourite things to do is to ride over to Phang Nga province an attend the cock fighting at Ban Sawan.  An amazing day, very cultural and exciting and you can have a punt if you like.  For me it is my day at the races.  I have made a number of Thai friends at the fights and have subsequently been invited back to their villages.  Some of them are Islamic drift net fishermen and as a result of my getting to know them at the fights I have been invited along on over night fishing trips out into the bay.  By far the best experience I have had while here in Thailand.

6. Go to the sporting complex area of Sapan Hin.  There you can join the locals for a game of Badminton, volley ball or soccer.  You can also swim in the Olympic sized public swimming pool

7. Go to the Boat lagoon and put a note up volunteering as a deckie for one of the yachts

8. Go to one of the Thai snooker clubs in the heart of Phuket town.  Dress neat and enjoying playing on a fine english full sized table.

9. Drive up to Khao Lak and then just north turn left and head out to Cape Pakarang.  Purchase a 400THB tent from tesco before you go and set up camp on the grass next to the Tsunami Tower (Old Croc....There is a geocache located at the tower by the way).  Have a seafood barbeque on the beach and then in the morning enjoy a beautiful sunrise and then you can paddle out over the reef and go for a surf.

10. And finally, buy one of those video games to excercise and develop your brain...because clearly you are not using it if you live here on Phuket and find yourself bored.

Where exactly is the cock fighting and punting?

Howabout those in Phuket describe their typical day?

I'm usually awake by 5am and watch Al Jazeera news and start the day with a coffee.

Around 5.15 I drive my stepdaughter to her school in Thalang (they start school really early IMHO)

I chat with guests at my hotel and have a vegetarian omlette for breakfast (I'm not a veggie, but this food seems a healthy choice)

After breakfast and a shower, I spend the morning posting rubbish on various web forums, checking hotel bookings etc

I spend several hours checking on the status of building works - I'm building a new small hotel next to the existing one

In the late afternoon/early evening, I spend some time with my favorite hobby (amateur radio), chatting to other hams around the world

For evening food, it's typically a Thai or Issan meal

If I have time, I'll go for a drink at one of the bars on Nai Yang beach

Back to the hotel, usually with an early night around 9pm.

Simon

My favorite thing is to ride with scooter often aimlessly, sometimes looking for geocaches. It's a good way to find hidden treasures of the island. Today visited Wat Prathong in Thalang.

Found a newly created cricket field with ongoing game. I'm thinking of going there next week again to join their practise session and try how does it feel to hit the ball.

As usual, I will probably be branded a "Phuket Basher" as well with this post, but, have you actually considered traveling a little, either in Thailand, or neighbouring countries?

Phuket International Airport is well connected. AirAsia have cheap direct flights to places like Chiang Mai and Udon Thani. From Udon, you can easily slip across the Laos boarder for a look at their capital. Places like Siam Reap (Ankor Wat) in Cambodia are spectacular.

It will not solve your day to day living boredom on Phuket, but will give you something to look forward to and give you something to plan and research, without ever being too far away from home.

If he is bored in Phuket I am not sure what UT or VTE could offer? I hate Phuket and moved away from Phuket years ago but if Phuket is boring Laos won't be any better.

As usual, I will probably be branded a "Phuket Basher" as well with this post, but, have you actually considered traveling a little, either in Thailand, or neighbouring countries?

Phuket International Airport is well connected. AirAsia have cheap direct flights to places like Chiang Mai and Udon Thani. From Udon, you can easily slip across the Laos boarder for a look at their capital. Places like Siam Reap (Ankor Wat) in Cambodia are spectacular.

It will not solve your day to day living boredom on Phuket, but will give you something to look forward to and give you something to plan and research, without ever being too far away from home.

If he is bored in Phuket I am not sure what UT or VTE could offer? I hate Phuket and moved away from Phuket years ago but if Phuket is boring Laos won't be any better.

They were just two examples. There are many others. Singapore, K/L, Penang etc. Phuket International Airport is a well connected airport. The many budget airlines servicing Phuket Airport make traveling affordable.

For a few days, the OP can see each destintion's famous attractions and nature. Also try the different foods.

It's a little hard to get bored, in a new place, in such a short length of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I haven't read all the posts because I haven't time, but has anyone mentioned rock climbing?

If you're considering training for muay thai you probably are at least fairly fit. Climbing is just taking off in Phuket. The climbers are very friendly and welcoming. You'd get lots of help learning.

Climbing is low impact but keeps you fit and slim because, if you get to like it, you may not want a spare tyre so that you can climb better. It's win-win, really!

I've been in touch with a guy who seems to be a prime mover in the scene. If you want to pm me I can give you his details.

I'm a keen climber and developer of climbing areas. My wife and I are in the first stages of planning to move to Phuket for the natural beauty and the climbing and diving opportunities that the area offers. Have you tried diving?

Just one quick question from me:

Do you think the outdoor life I'm hoping for is possible in Phuket? My wife and I are experienced travellers and don't expect it to be a paradise in all areas! I've been to Thailand five times and I know how some of it will not be very life-enhancing!!

All the best with your getting-out-more. It sounds like you might soon be begging for some time at home - to recover!

Cheers,

Dave