Bangkok on mission to clear footpaths

webfact

I have a dream.....a dream that one day I may travel along the sidewalks of Bangkok in a wheelchair.

I have a dream...a Honda Dream 125 that I park on the sidewalk when there is nowhere else to park.

It's just one of those things. Are you a person who wants more or less regulation in your life. I'm pretty happy with having less regulation imposed on me, so I now accept things like sidewalks being a place for car and motorcycle parking, planting large trees, public works appliances, vendors, tables, chairs, more vendors, potted plants, large signs promoting the latest and greatest in WiFi and Cellular Technology, garbage, castaways, drunks, dogs, and an occasional pedestrian.

I'm with it. I accept it. I embrace it. It's one thing in life that simply does not bother me. Thank god (and Buddha)!

You might like Mogadishu. I understand there is virtually no regulation of anything there; a paradise!

If you like Buddha, consider the middle path. A little bit of regulation to prevent excessive annoyances or dangers is not necessarily a bad thing. I witnessed a teenager get hit and killed by a bus as he tried to get on a motorcycle taxi that was parked on the sidewalk too close to the street with a bunch of other obstructions in front of him. Would it be that difficult to designate a safe area for these guys to park and pick up passengers? Too much to require that street vendors stick to one side of the sidewalk instead of crowding both sides and leaving no room for two people to pass each other (let alone the inevitable motorcycle trying to push through? Too much to ask that at least a portion of sidewalks be made available for the use of actual pedestrians?

On the other hand, I fear the crusaders for order will go too far and strip the streets of all their character instead of implementing just a few common sense measures as above. I guess I wish them only partial success in their efforts.

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they aren't messing around.

About 100 cops, some massive trucks and a load of cleaning people hit Khoa San Road this afternoon... removed ALL the roadside stalls - I've never seen khao san like that (as opposed to normal monday afternoon cleanups)

536836_10151839759476346_918023316_n.jpg

1236150_10151839759931346_1895689855_n.j

1238982_10151839761546346_1906543757_n.j

I've never actually been able to see the road/footpath or the shophouse entries on Khoa San before!

I'm in BKK today. I am going to go down Khao San tonight to see how long it lasted.

At the end of the day, it's a pavement and is there for people to walk down away from the dangerous road. It is NOT a free extension to a business provided by Municipal Hall. It is there to give customers access to businesses and other properties.

I do not mind the food vendors as long as they don't put out tables and chairs in front of their stall.. in fact, they could just set a law that there must be a clear 1.5 M clearance at all times, anything found to decrease that amount of space, the perpetrator is given a huge fine.... 10,000 baht and up.

Give a 3 day amnesty, then give the police some tape measures and I guarantee, everything will be as it should be. They should make this a nationwide thing, because it can be really bad in Korat also.

At the end of the day, it's a pavement and is there for people to walk down away from the dangerous road. It is NOT a free extension to a business provided by Municipal Hall. It is there to give customers access to businesses and other properties.

I do not mind the food vendors as long as they don't put out tables and chairs in front of their stall.. in fact, they could just set a law that there must be a clear 1.5 M clearance at all times, anything found to decrease that amount of space, the perpetrator is given a huge fine.... 10,000 baht and up.

Give a 3 day amnesty, then give the police some tape measures and I guarantee, everything will be as it should be. They should make this a nationwide thing, because it can be really bad in Korat also.

Do you know how much only crap they throw in the drains all of which blocks v drains and end up in the gulf of Thailand?

If you stop to really think about it, and if one cared about ecology, one would never buy street food. It is probably one of the single largest pollutants particularly in Bangkok. All street drains lead to the river.....

Do you know how much only crap they throw in the drains all of which blocks v drains and end up in the gulf of Thailand?

If you stop to really think about it, and if one cared about ecology, one would never buy street food. It is probably one of the single largest pollutants particularly in Bangkok. All street drains lead to the river.....

I don't eat from street vendors, mostly because of lack of hygiene and quality.

I certainly don't swim in the gulf because I do see what floats down the rivers straight to it.

I don't have an issue with street vendors because there is a huge positive drawn from the fact, people gain a livelihood.

But if they implemented the law, as I stated above, that is a start, and would be successful with almost immediate effect.

Then the powers that be can move on to the issue of vendors discarding their waste into the drains as a separate issue.

One step at a time, they could make a huge difference to the quality of life for everyone.

I don't eat from street vendors, mostly because of lack of hygiene and quality.

I certainly don't swim in the gulf because I do see what floats down the rivers straight to it.

I don't have an issue with street vendors because there is a huge positive drawn from the fact, people gain a livelihood.

But if they implemented the law, as I stated above, that is a start, and would be successful with almost immediate effect.

Then the powers that be can move on to the issue of vendors discarding their waste into the drains as a separate issue.

One step at a time, they could make a huge difference to the quality of life for everyone.

Of course they should clean it up and zone the vendors. In 18 years in Thailand I ate food on the road maybe 50 times. It is not some intrinsically Thai experience, it's just basically unhygienic....

And where are they going to put them? On the road?

If you are referring to taximocy, where I stay on On Nut, they park in a line on the small soi across from me. In fact, on On Nut, ALL the taximocy stands are on small sois just off the street. It can be done. It wouldn't have become a city-wide problem except many drivers had become lazy and didn't try to minimize the amount of footpath they blocked. I like taximocy and use them often but they can be inconsiderate to those walking. Maybe they want more people off the footpaths and on taximocys smile.png

I wasn't aware cluttered pavements were only caused by motosai.

Nice word taximocy. Thought it was an exotic way of stuffing something.

"And where are they going to put them? On the road?"

Since your post wasn't clear on who 'they' and 'them' were, I used the 'If' word. Pardon me for not being psychic.

Many of my Thai friends refer to motorcycle taxis as 'taxi mocy'. I find it common for Thais to truncate words as in 'Rote Ben' for Mercedes Benz Car. So, now you know.

If you are referring to taximocy, where I stay on On Nut, they park in a line on the small soi across from me. In fact, on On Nut, ALL the taximocy stands are on small sois just off the street. It can be done. It wouldn't have become a city-wide problem except many drivers had become lazy and didn't try to minimize the amount of footpath they blocked. I like taximocy and use them often but they can be inconsiderate to those walking. Maybe they want more people off the footpaths and on taximocys smile.png
I wasn't aware cluttered pavements were only caused by motosai.

Nice word taximocy. Thought it was an exotic way of stuffing something.

"And where are they going to put them? On the road?"

Since your post wasn't clear on who 'they' and 'them' were, I used the 'If' word. Pardon me for not being psychic.

Many of my Thai friends refer to motorcycle taxis as 'taxi mocy'. I find it common for Thais to truncate words as in 'Rote Ben' for Mercedes Benz Car. So, now you know.

Took me a moment to work out what it was that's all. Thanks for the Thai lesson, motosai taxi is what I know it as but anyways.....

I cant believe everyone wants Thailand to change that much - do you all want Thailand to look like Singapore or resemble the utterly characterless streets of KL - the banners , yep get rid of them, but the rest it is what Thailand is - i love all the food stalls, good hard working Thais producing some the worlds best food, day in day out, to the whole hearted appreciation of the Thai people from North to South - long may they stay in place - go to the UK or US and see the town centres, all ghost towns, all sterile carbon copies of themselves - give me the clogged soi's of Bangkok any day thanks.

+1 my sentiments exactly. Why is there always a cry for whipping these Thai's into shape and conforming to the way visitors experience things in their countries? I for one, enjoy the vast differences and thrive on the chaos in which things work, people go about their business and there is form in the madness.

That is one of the most enduring qualities of this beautiful country. It's different from what I know. I love it. It is what I may from time to time be exasperated with, but would not change. I have visited and lived here almost 20 years. I pine for the good old days when you could see across Sukhumvit view unconstructed by the Skytrain. I don' t mean the Skytrain is bad, it's fantastic and useful. It is just not the same. The same goes for all the old trucks and cars that used to ply the streets. They were cool. A huge honking Isuzu 2 1/2 ton truck with all the decorations of the owner onit. Also, all the old mercedes that used to cruise around, classic.

Anyways, my rant is done. Let them live as they please without our undue influence. Cheers.

• Like 1

I cant believe everyone wants Thailand to change that much - do you all want Thailand to look like Singapore or resemble the utterly characterless streets of KL - the banners , yep get rid of them, but the rest it is what Thailand is - i love all the food stalls, good hard working Thais producing some the worlds best food, day in day out, to the whole hearted appreciation of the Thai people from North to South - long may they stay in place - go to the UK or US and see the town centres, all ghost towns, all sterile carbon copies of themselves - give me the clogged soi's of Bangkok any day thanks.

+1 my sentiments exactly. Why is there always a cry for whipping these Thai's into shape and conforming to the way visitors experience things in their countries? I for one, enjoy the vast differences and thrive on the chaos in which things work, people go about their business and there is form in the madness.

That is one of the most enduring qualities of this beautiful country. It's different from what I know. I love it. It is what I may from time to time be exasperated with, but would not change. I have visited and lived here almost 20 years. I pine for the good old days when you could see across Sukhumvit view unconstructed by the Skytrain. I don' t mean the Skytrain is bad, it's fantastic and useful. It is just not the same. The same goes for all the old trucks and cars that used to ply the streets. They were cool. A huge honking Isuzu 2 1/2 ton truck with all the decorations of the owner onit. Also, all the old mercedes that used to cruise around, classic.

Anyways, my rant is done. Let them live as they please without our undue influence. Cheers.

In case you hadn't realized. This action is being taken by Thais against Thais, not as a result of a cry from foreigners.

I think you will find that many Thais will be happy with these decisions.

It just so happens that many farang also will enjoy this along with the Thais.

• Like 1

I was speaking the " cry" of the sort of person that posts here. It' s a common sentiment that guests and visitors in Thailand express, that if they only could act more like the West. Going back through this thread, I don't see an abundance of People proclaiming to be Thai posting. I was adressing this forum.

I have never had a problem with an ad banner that I can remember. Traders with their stalls, food carts with their tables and chairs, uneven paving slabs, motorcycle taxis riding on the pavements, kerbs sometimes a foot high but none of these problems seem important to the BMA.

If you cant walk on your own two feet, try crawling again.

Ive lived here for a over decade and most footpath sink from rain season. Their always ripping them up and rebuilding.. how often do you think its acceptable to replace them? money wise..

Remember this.. Bangkok sinks.

Why does "Asia" and "culture" or "spirit" always have to include "lawlessness" and "the risk of being killed"?

So some of you enjoy motorcycles coming straight at you at high speed on a pavement? Why don't you walk in the middle of the road, if that is so much fun and adds so much to your "Thailand experience"?

• Like 1

i always find it amazing that in Pattaya the police enforce no parking in the red zone and the odd/even number plate days. However, the motor cycles simply park /ride on the pavement and are never clamped, ticketed or fined.

What gets me is the filthy look pavement riders give when you dont give ground to them - its like their right to drive in your space.

I seriously doubt much will change.

Yesterday was Monday, I saw that there were no food/fruits vendors along the sidewalk. I think they are among those that are cleaned. I told myself, they are deprived of their livelihoods.

But today is Tuesday, I see them back. So there may only be schedule for them to sell along the sidewalks.

Just came across this article from last month in Coconuts...further evidence that the BMA is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

http://ec2-54-254-14-67.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com/2013/08/16/cyclists-pedestrians-annoyed-bmas-new-billboards

Cyclists, pedestrians annoyed by BMA’s new billboards

1173702_430767590372318_281802637_n_1.jp

• Like 2

What never fails to amaze me is that the Thai authorities always go public on such things - thereby opening themselves to ridicule when the so-called promise is never completed, or only a token gesture done.

It can't only be us (the members of Thaivisa) that laugh at them.

Sure it is annoying sometimes when you have to risk injury, at the least, by having to walk on busy roads because the footpath is totally blocked. But in most cases, I too think that the sidewalk culture here adds to the ambiance of Thailand. And it can be done properly! Take a walk through Huai Kwang market (Pracha Songkhro 27, off Ratchadapisek Road) and it is a pure delight. There is ample space to walk between the stalls on the outer half of the footpath and the shops, restaurants and vendors on the inner half of the fut-bat. The mixture of smells and the variety of goods/foods & snacks cannot be matched anywhere else I have been in BKK. But what really makes Huai Kwang really really nice, in my opinion, is that you NEVER EVER see some <deleted>, including the farang kinos who post on this site, driving a mc on the footpath.

you are aware that the charming term "taximocy" exists in neither english nor thai aren't you?

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

Yesterday was Monday, I saw that there were no food/fruits vendors along the sidewalk. I think they are among those that are cleaned. I told myself, they are deprived of their livelihoods.

But today is Tuesday, I see them back. So there may only be schedule for them to sell along the sidewalks.

monday is a vendor free day round my area, lower sukhumvit