Oh the irony- advantages and disadvantages of being a farang

snake24

snake, it would seem that you dont sleep - the timestamp on your reply this morning illustrates that perfectly. That or Singapore has shifted timezones and is now on the same timeline as Auckland - either way, I'll leave it there. I know how debilitating insomnia can be, and how it can distort one's view of the world, and it's abundantly clear that you are a Hansum man with a lot of money. I wish you every success taking that attitude to Thailand.

Edited by MrWorldwide

snake, it would seem that you dont sleep - the timestamp on your reply this morning illustrates that perfectly. That or Singapore has shifted timezones and is now on the same timeline as Auckland - either way, I'll leave it there. I know how debilitating insomnia can be, and how it can distort one's view of the world, and it's abundantly clear that you are a Hansum man with a lot of money. I wish you every success taking that attitude to Thailand.

I've been fighting a bad cold, so I too am unable to sleep clinging to a laptop while I lie in bed. You are my only company as I sit on death's doorstep hacking up phlegm.

Oh how I love a good bashing thread, but Singapore? Really? You can drink the tap water. The cops are relatively professional and honest. And for added thrills sure to satisfy the fetish seekers from Japan and Continental Europe, Singapore offers canings on the buttocks.

Ok, you say, what the blazes am I dong on this thread. Well, I'm looking at a trip to Sentosa Resorts in Singapore for Christmas. I want to ride the roller coaster and check out Universal Studios etc. Thailand doesn't have the same. Trouble is I can't get any friends to go. Girls aren't interested. And my male friends laugh at me. I already mentioned a couple weeks ago how my alleged best friend wouldn't ride the choo choo train at the Hua Hin floating market, claiming that despite me behaving like a little kid I wasn't and that only silly Chinese tourists rode the choo choo.

I suppose this then should cause me to start a thread as to why Thai guys are no fun anymore. Not one of them wants to go on a roller coaster ride with me. I am convinced they have a screw loose. Last week, when I asked another alleged friend, he replied, no he'd rather spend time with his girlfriend. There it is. Absolute proof that Thais are untrustworthy. He broke the rule. What's wrong with that guy, wanting to hang out with a girl, when he could be with me. Then my other friend called me yesterday to remind me that I am supposed to be exercising. The bugger. He doesn't care, he just wants to see me drop dead while exercising. Again further proof Thais are evil. Tyis is also the same guy who blasts me for eating fast food. Know how evil he is? He caught me eating KFC and took it away from me and threw it out. Ok sure, I was eating a bucket, but it was MY chicken. His excuse was that I would have spent the next week complaining how awful it was and how I was poisoned. This is also the same guy that told me a girl I had my eye on was a ladyboy, just to spite me. (She wasn't.) Nice friend. He thinks because he can run a few kms without breaking a sweat that he's the cat meow.

Jiminey, where was I? I have no idea. ok. n'er mind. PLease carry on.

I've been fighting a bad cold, so I too am unable to sleep clinging to a laptop while I lie in bed. You are my only company as I sit on death's doorstep hacking up phlegm.

Oh how I love a good bashing thread, but Singapore? Really? You can drink the tap water. The cops are relatively professional and honest. And for added thrills sure to satisfy the fetish seekers from Japan and Continental Europe, Singapore offers canings on the buttocks.

Ok, you say, what the blazes am I dong on this thread. Well, I'm looking at a trip to Sentosa Resorts in Singapore for Christmas. I want to ride the roller coaster and check out Universal Studios etc. Thailand doesn't have the same. Trouble is I can't get any friends to go. Girls aren't interested. And my male friends laugh at me. I already mentioned a couple weeks ago how my alleged best friend wouldn't ride the choo choo train at the Hua Hin floating market, claiming that despite me behaving like a little kid I wasn't and that only silly Chinese tourists rode the choo choo.

I suppose this then should cause me to start a thread as to why Thai guys are no fun anymore. Not one of them wants to go on a roller coaster ride with me. I am convinced they have a screw loose. Last week, when I asked another alleged friend, he replied, no he'd rather spend time with his girlfriend. There it is. Absolute proof that Thais are untrustworthy. He broke the rule. What's wrong with that guy, wanting to hang out with a girl, when he could be with me. Then my other friend called me yesterday to remind me that I am supposed to be exercising. The bugger. He doesn't care, he just wants to see me drop dead while exercising. Again further proof Thais are evil. Tyis is also the same guy who blasts me for eating fast food. Know how evil he is? He caught me eating KFC and took it away from me and threw it out. Ok sure, I was eating a bucket, but it was MY chicken. His excuse was that I would have spent the next week complaining how awful it was and how I was poisoned. This is also the same guy that told me a girl I had my eye on was a ladyboy, just to spite me. (She wasn't.) Nice friend. He thinks because he can run a few kms without breaking a sweat that he's the cat meow.

What medication are you on?

What medication are you on?

C2H6O

Advantages of being a farang

---------------------------------------

- Saves on whitening cream.

- Cheaper here generally than at home.

- The better of us are better educated than most Thais, and most of us are more worldly.

- To many Thais we are seen as more honest, polite, industrious, and clever.

- Generally seen as wealthy or at least financially secure.

- Easily pleased with a smile and polite service. Happy people.

- Generally more chance in life/options than the average Thai local Joe.

- Generally better at handling alcohol (due to genetics - and that is a fact)

Disadvantages of being a farang

---------------------------------------

- Doesn't save on AfterSun.

- Would be cheaper still if was here and NOT a farang.

- The rest of us love to show our ignorance, which tars us all, and/or fall into every con/trap going no matter how many warnings signs are shoved in our faces.

- The rest of the Thai have met at least one farang that disproves all afore mentioned virtues.

- Target for cons/rip offs/scams/overcharging.

- Fall for believing smile and polite service was anything more than lip service.

- Options reduced to almost nil by Thai laws and rules relating to us here.

- Plenty of <deleted> that can't handle their drink to disprove the rule!

And the list goes on - simply put there are differences and to think otherwise is to be naïve - and for every rule there is the instance that disproves it (for every pro - there is an equal and opposite con). The same list could be made for any expat from any country in any other country - expats by definition are not locals, so there will be differences in culture, upbringing, and so on, that make for benefits and detriments.

The OPs list is obviously set to try and illicit a reaction - in an attempt to be funny perhaps. One may consider that as he is not a farang, much of his statements could well be called racist - try swapping out farang for Black. Generalisations help no one and prove nothing - relying on generalisations to ridicule is simply discriminatory.

It is to be expected perhaps when coming from a country that exists because a passing colonial power needed a safe warehouse to cross-dock (actually a trading company thereof) - and now more than three quarters Chinese populated (all immigrants as originally it was owned by various Malaysian empires, sparsely populated, until Raffles made it a trading post) - its hard to take ownership of a nationality that is so ephemeral - therefore easy to attack those old colonial powers as were through soft targets. A bit like bullies that pick on small guys to hide their own cowardice, or gay-bashers hiding from their crush on their old gym master!

How about gets really sensitive when the farang gets called out?

Able to point fingers and judge others calling them racist and ignorant but gets super hurt when he is at the end of it except when it involves black ppl or any other race that had some sort of civil rights movement and ppl that will aid them like jesse jackson cos let us be honest about it if blacks didn't have the civil rights movement they would still be called niggers in their faces today and it also explains the different reactions of farang when they are faced with a black and a asian. With a black they get more respectful and some even side with the blacks, when it involves asians anything goes asian gets called chink/gook/slants and when asian retaliates gets called a racist. blink.png

Edited by snake24

Seems like you are clutching at straws now. I don't even see your point. You somehow have the impression that i have to wake up at what 8am and be in bed by 12 midnight and get an average of 8 hours rest failing in which i either have to be suffering from some form of insomnia or there is something wrong with my life. Your post seems to suggest like i somehow got so affected by your posts in this thread that i couldn't even sleep and thus was awake throughout the night unable to sleep.

It only takes me around say a few minutes to post and then that's it. Maybe you are different from the rest of us in which you need to somehow get all prepared just to make a silly post in a forum a few lines long with a max of say 200 words. I make posts like this on various forums on my pc or my cell phone when i am away taking the max of 5 mins and then i just continue on with whatever i am doing like going back to sleep, clubbing and so on. whistling.gif

No need to use the n word. Highly offensive to the majority of people, black or white.

No need to use the n word. Highly offensive to the majority of people, black or white.

ok but do you think chink/gook/slant is offensive too?

Anyway you can see my point clearly in the differences on racial slurs used on different races. White guilt is obviously the biggest when it involves blacks cos blacks were enslaved asians were not hence the reason why more whites steer clear of being openly racist to blacks vs being openly racist to asians. It isn't about fairness or logic at all in which in all fairness you shouldn't be racist to anyone in the first place regardless of race but that is far from the case.

Most certainly I do along with paki and similar racial slurs.

I don't use the term myself but hear them mentioned regularly. Doesn't stop me realising the differences between races though. Good and bad.

Most certainly I do along with paki and similar racial slurs.

I don't use the term myself but hear them mentioned regularly. Doesn't stop me realising the differences between races though. Good and bad.

At the end of the day it isn't about the concept of fairness at all isn't it?

It's about the consequences of how far your racism will take you. Call a black person nigger not only will you get assaulted but get embarrassed on national tv. Not sure what the situation is in the UK especially about getting shamed on national tv but pakis will fight if they perceive they are being disrespected which then brings us to this most important question. Isn't the western way of thinking the most advanced of alll? Which means that if you commit an offence you deserve to get punished equally but it doesn't seem so when it comes to racial slurs as it seems east asians don't react as aggressively compared to blacks for example so this shows a primitive sort of behavior whereby the one that shouts the loudest or reacts the most aggressively wins so if you called a black person a nigger you would most likely be killed or beaten up but the chances are lessened if you made a racial slur to an asian. Ways to solve this get asians to react as aggressively as black ppl when racial slurs are made about them. Sounds kind of barbaric but it's neccessary.

Seems like mww has now degenerated into the realm of BS which is if you cannot debate someone with logic just write any sort of rubbish. Then again he wasn't to be taken seriously. Here is someone that wanted to use "humor" to declare victory. As in if he somehow got in the punchline and it was "funny" somehow that meant he had the upperhand well sadly even this has failed for him as he now degenerates into debating the meaning of the word "clubbing" to denote physically attacking someone when it's plain obvious everyone gets what i mean.

snake said:

The funny thing is the same farangs who are boasting on how much of a superior human specimen compared to the thais in terms of physical appearance, stature etc complain that they get charged higher prices in tourist places or who knows any single time a thai has the opportunity to rip him off. That's the irony of it all and some of you guys sound really offended you get charged higher but don't mind being singled out when well when it involves female attention i suppose.

Please show me a single post where someone has made that claim. Your wording reeks of a combination of small man syndrome and Asian smugness - fwiw, I consider Thais to be some of the most beautiful people on earth and, pound for pound, some of the most physically gifted. It's only the lazy people who dont look after themselves that fit Stickman's rants about 'fat Thais' - that would be the same in Denmark or Sweden, both countries renowned for the stature and physical beauty of many of their citizens. Thais are getting taller and heavier - take a look at some of the schoolkids compared to their parents - but I dont walk around Thailand thinking 'I'm so much bigger and stronger than these guys !'. Only an idiot would carry that attitude into a nightlife precinct, even if the average Thai was 4' tall and weighed 90lbs ....

Yesss, Mr. Snake. Also their penises are getting longer, so,- watch out!

The Monsoon season is nearly over and snakes get more active.

Back to your post. My wife (Thai) very often negotiates a lower price. I always try to hold her back by asking 'why bother? Let a small vendor have a good day'...

On the other hand, buying big costly items I notice they cost less here and it suits me fine. What's your beef? Paid more than 40 bt for a bawl of Tom Yam or fried pork'n'rice? Or 200 bt bar fine was excessive? coffee1.gif

I think the singaporean swim team uniform sums it up quite nicely.

Snake, go back to your little hole and leave us alone.

Sums what up?

Pray tell how am i bothering the likes of you when you have the freedom to choose to respond or not to to a thread or a post?

snake said:

The funny thing is the same farangs who are boasting on how much of a superior human specimen compared to the thais in terms of physical appearance, stature etc complain that they get charged higher prices in tourist places or who knows any single time a thai has the opportunity to rip him off. That's the irony of it all and some of you guys sound really offended you get charged higher but don't mind being singled out when well when it involves female attention i suppose.

Please show me a single post where someone has made that claim. Your wording reeks of a combination of small man syndrome and Asian smugness - fwiw, I consider Thais to be some of the most beautiful people on earth and, pound for pound, some of the most physically gifted. It's only the lazy people who dont look after themselves that fit Stickman's rants about 'fat Thais' - that would be the same in Denmark or Sweden, both countries renowned for the stature and physical beauty of many of their citizens. Thais are getting taller and heavier - take a look at some of the schoolkids compared to their parents - but I dont walk around Thailand thinking 'I'm so much bigger and stronger than these guys !'. Only an idiot would carry that attitude into a nightlife precinct, even if the average Thai was 4' tall and weighed 90lbs ....

Yesss, Mr. Snake. Also their penises are getting longer, so,- watch out!

The Monsoon season is nearly over and snakes get more active.

Back to your post. My wife (Thai) very often negotiates a lower price. I always try to hold her back by asking 'why bother? Let a small vendor have a good day'...

On the other hand, buying big costly items I notice they cost less here and it suits me fine. What's your beef? Paid more than 40 bt for a bawl of Tom Yam or fried pork'n'rice? Or 200 bt bar fine was excessive? coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I was just merely pointing out the differences. Like some think their being farang makes them getting singled out for female attention or adoration from some thai vendors and so on.

Then in the same breadth they get offended they get singled out for paying more in tourist places, actually who knows in many places like taxi fares and etc compared to an asian non thai.

It's odd that so many of you would somehow be offended with me simply pointing this out. My my sensitive are we.

My bar girl neighbor tells me she prefers Asian men over western "farang" males. She states they are always finished quickly and has no problem accommodating their size. So to pay a higher price for goods really does not bother me.

It always has to come down to the penis size thing in the end. clap2.gif Yes you automatically being farang means that somehow you're "bigger" than the asian men further validated by your bar girl neighbour. cheesy.gif This reminds me of the peeps at other forums where some of them accept yeah black/african men are bigger than us but you know they somehow need to add in some excuse that they are superior so yeah us white ppl are "smarter" than those blacks. whistling.gif