Thammasat divided over student uniforms

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not quite off topic but there was a bar in Nana Plaza called Play School with the girls attired (if that's the word) in school uniforms. Don't know if its still there as I don't go to the bars now - but worth a look if it is.

Anyone should be able to wear whatever they want, and educational institutes are supposed to develop students thoughts and creativity, not teaching them whats right or wrong, Netiwt wrote of his Facebook page. [read more...]

Damm Straight !

I hate uniforms and uniformity.

• Like 2

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

I fail to see the connection here between wearing uniforms and having sex.

I think the point they were making is the stupidity of having to wear uniforms - to the point that the "authorities" would more than likely insist that uniforms were to be worn while engaging in sex.

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

I think the point they were making is the stupidity of having to wear uniforms - to the point that the "authorities" would more than likely insist that uniforms were to be worn while engaging in sex.

No more silly than the burning of bras days at Western Unis some years ago. And it does not polute the air with all that sponge rubber.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I can see the case for not needing/wanting uniforms, but this ad campaign is utterly ridiculous. The uniform is not designed to be sexy, students wear them that way. If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed? These girls are going to wear short skirts and high heels no matter what (for the record, i have no problem with this thumbsup.gif ).

If they want to get ride of uniforms, then how about going about it in a mature fashion (pun intended).

I agree, the connection is laughable. Maybe they should worry more about the quality of education more than their uniform. But then again, I had stupid priorities in University as well.

As much as I love the girls in uniform, I agree that no matter what the dress code is, the girls will sexualize it (not a bad thing for an on looker) if they truly cared the admin would enforce it better. I know individual professors enforce it more than others.

As for a science faculty, I always had a strict dress code in lab. Improper dress meant you were barred from entering, simple as that.

If they truly wanted to talk about uniform not being a measure of education, showing university rankings of the US and EU where uniforms are not mandatory would have been a better campaign....

You obviously haven't seen how short those skirts can get.

I think they look very nice.

Yes indeed. Also very seductive when they don't wear knickers "as quite a few don't"

Teachers become very distracted when the girls in the front row are so attired.

I can understand that. I'm distracted just reading your post.

• Like 1

Somkit insisted that Thammasat University students are not required to wear uniform, although it is encouraged, particularly during examinations, so that students can practice discipline needed for the workplace after they graduate.

wrong concept though. Thai students and graduates need more practice on the creativity, but no discipline.

I can just imagine the quality of education there with minds that work like that.sad.png

The idea of a uniform other than keeping the students uniform saves the parents of those who do not have from trying to keep up with those that do have.

When students are allowed to dress individually, unfortunately the inequity in society is seen by those that can afford the Nike's of the world and those that are wearing the second hand black and white sneakers.

Parents do not have to lose face, although they do have to pay for the school uniforms.

college is about learning how to be a good drone so you can be a good drone worker when you graduate.

if they really wanted freedom and individuality they shouldn't be plugged into the drone system. they should be starting their own businesses or getting out of Thailand.

there's only a couple paths for a college grad in Thailand and most of those jobs require wearing a uniform. get used to it kids.

• Like 1

Nothing has changed, has it?

The Thai "children" are still children. They are complaining and getting upset and now protesting over issues that have everything to do with "FACE", or appearance.

How about impressing me and reporting that they have protested about the lack of, and poor quality of engineering, math and science subjects, or that the classes aren’t challenging enough, or that they think funding isn't going to the proper departments and they aren't seeing or getting results?

Of all the legitimate things these young idiots could complain and protest about in order to demonstrate their level of maturity and to demonstrate how the education system is producing "thinking" individuals... well... they choose this instead. Condoms, sex, dress codes, Hitler impersonating, etc. etc. What an absolute conflagration of complete and utter fools.

Their clothes are nicer. They look trendy with their iPads and Smartphones and sporty little scooters and sub-compact death-mobiles that come in neon pink, blue red and green. They smell nice and look nifty with their Japanese cookie-cutter hairstyles, face whitening and acne prevention creams. Their condoms are available in plenty, and life has never been so good. Man, I tell you, they are going to live forever. The adults around them have really done a swell job of dressing them up with absolutely nowhere to go, and encouraging them to "get involved" in the most mind-bogglingly useless activities imaginable.

The decoration and idiotic cultural customs aside; these children in developed bodies are shallow, ignorant, un-opinionated, uninformed, feeble-minded emotionally charged lunatics rushing towards the drop-off of success like a swarm of mindless lemmings.

No sir, nothing has changed, has it?

• Like 1

What happens with the mature aged students attending university, those in their 30's and 40's are they required to dress as school children also?

Good question - at our uni the rule seems to be thus: undergraduates wear uniform; post graduate ladies taking masters dress in cocktail, party or very skimpy dresses whilst males are in jeans and t-shirts; and doctoral students of both sexes usually look like they've just come from doing the garden!

The length of dresses worn by undergraduate female students is so variable - from ankle length to, well, almost belt width.

These "rules" seem to be adopted by most foreign students at our uni too.

I can see the case for not needing/wanting uniforms, but this ad campaign is utterly ridiculous. The uniform is not designed to be sexy, students wear them that way. If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed? These girls are going to wear short skirts and high heels no matter what (for the record, i have no problem with this thumbsup.gif ).

If they want to get ride of uniforms, then how about going about it in a mature fashion (pun intended).

"If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed?"

Gees I bloody well hope not. I love looking at the girls. I'm a man approaching his mid 40's and remember when I had girls in their 20's. Days gone past and can only dream now.

Yep!

But remember this is amazing Thailand. There are guys here whose girlfriends weren't even born when they were in their mid forties!

Good to see the University intends to relax the rule and allow individuals to become creative. However, it can get out of control and beyond ridiculous as it did at my University in Melbourne with students showing up to lectures in their pajamas. So in the end, there needs to be parameters and limits....

There is no good reason for University students to wear mandatory uniforms

A uniform will not create discipline and it surely won;t create individuality

On the other hand I live beside two Universities and I have come to appreciate

the look of the blouses and skirts the young ladies wear .... pretty sure these

uniforms get more hormones running that a girl wearing normal street clothes.

Is there also good reason to NOT wearing uniform? I feel like those students who love to call themselves 'liberal' are just overreacting. They act like the uniform is an evil and the education system will be boosted like 300% by abolishing the uniform's rule. sad.png

Yes there is. It is called freedom. A university is not the military, nor is it the employer of the students.

The students are paying a fee for services to be rendered and are in fact customers of the university.

Consider the scenario where a business would demand that its customers wear a uniform in order to transact with the business. I find it offensive that a third party supplier of services would dictate to its adult clientele what they can wear.

i though the same to, my stepdaughter is in uni and is paying her own way, why should she be told what to wear. its all about control

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University responded to student pressure on Monday, announcing that the wearing of student uniforms in class was not compulsory.

I disapprove of the students not wearing uniforms, but I will defend to the death their right not to wear them clap2.gif

A friend of mine who has lived in Thailand for more than 20 years has the opinion that on average, Thai women are smarter than the men. After seeing the way some of the female uni students look in their sexy "uniforms", I am not a bit surprised !

What a joke the science dean saying discipline is needed when carrying on experiments and the uniform is discipline itself. 99% of real science minds would oppose the stupidity of wearing uniforms.

There's zero relationship between discipline and uniform, uniform is just a show. Talking about preparing for work dress code..., I say @&$# you and your dress code! As a technical guy I rejected any job offer that imposed a dress code, it's all about knowledge not about wearing a suit so you can mask your ineptitude with it. Grrr

• Like 2

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Chrissy Amphlett used the school uniform well when she sang "I touch myself"

Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young.

I once worked at a rural university and when I explained the dress code to my daughter who was in a uni in Scotland she was horrified and said if they were required to wear uniform no one would attended lectures.

Later i was teaching in a technical school in Nth. Isan where wearing uniform was all although at times the school was more a zoo because of the way the students behaved. However as long as they came to school properly dressed and looked like little angels in public all was well.

It was all show and no substance.

My wife is a former Thammasat student who graduated in the early 90s and she tells me she never wore a school uniform to class. Even back then it was optional. Too bad more universities here aren't as enlightened. It's a stupid tradition and just breeds the herd mentality that is so common here.

• Like 1

WOOONGGGGG MOVE!

It is a study related to this in the US confirming that the violence, discrimination, and many student's bad behavior issues have connections with the kind of outfit is used at the schools....and I agreed with that. I am also a witness because I was a teacher in US high schools. I am not originally from the US, and I was working in South American countries before, without the problems the US schools are facing. My wife owns a dormitory building for university students in Chiang Rai. Thai students are very quiet, very respectful and disciplined comparing with the US students, even out the school premises. It is not just a coincidence that here school uniforms are mandatory like in many countries, also in Asia and Europe. Please, don not change that...or very soon you will have to install guns detectors like in the US...if not facing a school tragedy.

Maybe a bit subtle for here, but I would guess that the point that the students' are making is that they are too old to have to wear uniform.

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Why not single out some celebrity names that the world knows and not just from your country?

"Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young."

I think you meant the blind, deaf and otherwise sensory challenged community.

post-145917-0-14286200-1378786914_thumb.