The benefits of a Thai driving licence?

longstebe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate, I got my 5 year licence last month and it was just under 1,500 baht all up, I did list the costs in here somewhere so others would know what they are. You get the choice of 1 year or 5 year licence after the first year, a 1 year licence does not need you to do the tests(pulling the strings and the light tests) but the 5 year one does.

You shouldn't have to do any kind of test when you get the five year because you already did it before when you got the one year in the first place . Unless things have changed ......

I think the first time you renew it has to be done before expiry, but once you have five years, it is always after. If you time it right, like just after your birthday, you can end up with close to six years.

It's the other way around. The 1 year (probationary) license must have expired when applying for the 5 year. The 5 year must not have expired and can apply 90 days before the expiration. Yes, I know there have been exceptions reported here but that is the regulation.

Actually in terms to the regulations, at least in Rayong, a 5 yr DL can be renewed upto 1 year after expiry, as daft as this sounds,, and having tested renewing a 5 yeat after the expiry date by nearly a month, I can confirm this rule seems to be true..

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

Not if you are a tourist or short term visa.

Ah ha!!!!!

Maybe you've touched on something there. I'm only on a tourist visa at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I did my 5 year I was on a 30 days on arrival . Photocopied and old visa and they don't even know what they're looking at .

• Like 1

mate, I got my 5 year licence last month and it was just under 1,500 baht all up, I did list the costs in here somewhere so others would know what they are. You get the choice of 1 year or 5 year licence after the first year, a 1 year licence does not need you to do the tests(pulling the strings and the light tests) but the 5 year one does.

You shouldn't have to do any kind of test when you get the five year because you already did it before when you got the one year in the first place . Unless things have changed ......

You normally have to do and eye test and colour vision test and this time during my 5 yr renewal I had to sit through a road safety video for around 45 minutes

When I first arrived on Phuket 4 years ago I was regularly stopped at Police check points. I had an international licence but seldom carried it with me for fear of it being stolen while I was out surfing. I was fined on three occasions. The international licence expired and rather than get a new one I went and got 1 year Thai car and bike licences. I recently extended them to 5 year licences...but when doing so I was initially blocked by the desk staff (and then the boss) at the Transport office (under the excuse that I was on an ED visa) but this just turned out to be an attempt to extort some tea money from me. I didn't pay but eventually the boss (a woman) gave up and I was issued my 5 year licences.

Because of the ridiculous amount of running around and paperwork required to get my Thai licences I do not want to lose them. So I had laminated copies made of each and keep the originals in my fireproof safe. I have been pulled up at checkpoints three times since carrying my licence copies but, rather ironically, on none of these occasions was I asked to show my licence. At Kamala the other night it was a full vehicle search and pat down on me.

Why did I get my Thai licences? Because I do not trust insurance companies. In my view not having a Thai licence would be an issue swiftly seized upon by a Thai insurance company to justify not paying a farang.

Edited by Phronesis

I didn't get my Thai license because of reductions at national parks and so on but I must have saved a few thousand Baht since I got one. Probably works best if you have a Thai wife with you.

You feel better if you can present a Thai license, so does the cop.

By the way I was spared the film, I have been driving for over 40 years ....

Edited by cooked

Fair doos mate.

I can only hope when I get to renew it, it's for the 5 years.

As long as you have a long term visa/extension of stay you should get 5 years - but in your case you may have to push for it as it appears the person you spoke to is not aware.

As to a good reason how about if you have an accident and the insurance co. want to check that you are legal to drive......before they pay out anything......

Last can you say what you paid Immigration 1000 baht for? Even in Pattaya they only charge 200 for a residence certificate and apparently it is supposed to be free.

If you actually live here and have done so for some time you may be able to get a yellow Tabien Bann, which which does away with the need for a certficate of residence. Very useful in many situations...

If you are just a tourist an IDL is all you need for 3 months. Living here requires a Thai licence, same a s in the west..you get a period of grace then need to conform with the local laws.

A Uk licence may well be accepted by plod here, but if they want to be funny they can insist on an IDL for your first 3 months after arrival.

Cover your ass in case of accidents/incidents..if you are street legal you will at least not automatically be at fault for non compliance. Check the drink driving threads where folk have ended up in Thai prisons

too and don't give them any chance to do that to you. 1st class insurance, camera front and rear and happy trails on Thailands wonderful roads mate.

You normally have to do and eye test and colour vision test and this time during my 5 yr renewal I had to sit through a road safety video for around 45 minutes

maybe it's changed like I said , or all these places just do things how they feel on the day !

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society biggrin.png

Mines 5 years.

So is mine.

You can velcro it to your forehead so everyone knows you're not a tourist.

Thus you get more respect.

A must for those in pursuit of being at one with their thainess, along with the Chang vest, fisher mans pants and big Buddha medallion.

• Like 1

I did not do any kind of test for my five year car license, but for my five year motor cycle license, I had to do the eyesight test and the reflexes test.

You can velcro it to your forehead so everyone knows you're not a tourist.

Thus you get more respect.

A must for those in pursuit of being at one with their thainess, along with the Chang vest, fisher mans pants and big Buddha medallion.

:lol:

Makes me cringe. I have actually owned a beer lao t-shirt which I thought was OK.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

Not true. You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Short Term Visas renewals 1yr. Long term visas or extensions 5 years.

Edited by harrry

Not true. You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Short Term Visas renewals 5yrs. Long term visas or extensions 5 years.

Small typo here can lead to confusion, should be 'Short Term Visas renewals 1yrs. Long term visas or extensions 5 years'

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Incorrect.

Different officials may work by their own rules because they do not know them though, or perhaps just do not care about them and enjoy refusing a farang as it makes them feel a little bit of power over them, which may help with their Thai emotional issues.

Edited by pilm
  • Like 1

My first 1 year licence expired and I renewed it last week. Copy of passport etc. Health check certificate was 100 baht. Certificate of Residence - local Amphor provided for 50 baht (5 mins drive instead of 2 hours to immigration) and that was it. Filled the form in, paid 615 baht and got my new 5 year license in return. There was quiet a queue but in and out in less than 40 mins. Very friendly and efficient,

You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Incorrect.

Different officials may work by their own rules because they do not know them though, or perhaps just do not care about them and enjoy refusing a farang as it makes them feel a little bit of power over them, which may help with their Thai emotional issues.

I do not know where you got that information. The rules are extremely clear here.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

You can pretend to be Thai and try to wing your way into national parks for 20 baht.

A favourite boast of some holders.

Why do you say it is a boast? In some places, not as many as one woud like perhaps, it does work and always worth a try

Renewed my 5 year earlier this year, had to watch the safety video and a do couple of the eye tests including colour blindness..

Renewed my 5 year earlier this year, had to watch the safety video and a do couple of the eye tests including colour blindness..

I did the depth perception(strings going to dowel in a box), the red light, green light , the pedals(stop go) and then perifial vision test but I got both car and bike. They said that because it was for 5 years I had to do them if I had of gone for a 1 year licence there were no tests required, go figure.

1000 baht to immigration!!! for what certificate of residence is free. Had 2 now never paid 1 baht.

Then you are damn lucky.

In Jomtien you now pay 250B per "residence certificate" and you need two to get a car and motorcycle license. Use to be 200, the price has gone up now.

I got the 1 year then 5 years and renewed to 5 more last year, just need to show tabian baan, then no need paper from immigration if you have it.

Advantage of Driving Lience is that it is legal ID in Thailand, so no need passport anywhere and can use it at Bank, hotel, etc. and Thai Police appreciate it when they check your documents on the road.

To drive in Thailand you need an International Driver License. Staying more than three month in LoS, you need a Thai Driver License. May be important in case of accident/insurance. First time Thai Driver License is valid for one year, when renewed valid for five years.

Much better than carrying you passport everywhere ,its the same as an id card and yes it does get you Thai price at all places.

That's simply not true i have been declined thai price at national parks upon showing a thai driving license as have probably thousands of others.

It in no way entitles you to that of a thai national such as above likely but not 100% guaranteed.

Most national parks DO honor your license and charge you the Thai price. I have only been turned down once at a park outside Hua Hin and they even had the audacity to post it on a sign that falang must pay full price even if they have a license. Any park turning you down is probably run by a falang hater and they can do what they want. I usually get a nice smile and am charged the Thai price.

You are charged the Thai price at Nong Nouch and that was with a very nice smile. Mini-Siam gave a discount, but not quite the Thai price and I understand Underwater World honors the Thai driver's license. Sanctuary of truth does not because everyone pays the same price. The Grand Palace in Bangkok also does not honor the license.

The driver's license regulations are the same for Thai and Falang. If you live in an area where there are very few falang then I'm not surprised they don't know or outright lie. And yes, you really did get ripped off by your immigration office. Understand this, you can ONLY get a 5 year license if you are here on a ONE YEAR visa or visa extension based on a one year visa.

Edited by oneday

When I'd made mine in Chonburi many years ago, I was on a tourist visa. Then the guys from transport department sent me to the Pattaya Immigration ,where they issued a "letter of residence" ( a freaking hotel near the circle to Naklus) for 1,000 baht.

I have to be honest that i had no idea that somebody had made anything that wasn't legal.

Then off to the TD to make the written test. An Austrian guy who couldn't read English was asking me for help, when a woman working for the "test center" stepped in. She then wrote his answers on the test sheet (500 baht) and we both walked out after about an hour there.

First time only good for one year, second, third, ...time then five years. Got my Chonburi address still in my license, as nobody seems to worry where you'd lived when you made your permit. Land of Smile.-wai2.gif

Mines 5 years.

Mine too!