The benefits of a Thai driving licence?

longstebe

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society biggrin.png

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's 5 years the second time around. I've done it and so far I do not think I am a Thai, they still call me Farang! Don't let it expire or else you will start all over again.

The benefits? Well if you get booked for speeding etc & have an international driving licence, it will be cancelled. The cops around here seemed impressed when a Farang produces a Thai driving licence. You will probably get away with an International until it expires but a Thai driving licence is so easy to get, no driving test, no rules test, just a colour blindness test & a reaction test with a simulated set of accelerator & brake contraption. Costs 150b FOR MOTOR VEHICLE, 150b for motor cycle.

More misinformation it seems

1. A 5yr thai DL, according to Rayong traffic dept can be renewed upto 1 year after expiry, in my case it had been expired nearly a month because I was away at work...no problem to get renewed

2. An international permit/ license what ever you wih to call it cannot be cancelled by the BiB there is nothing to cancel its not a license, further The Thai BIB cannot legally revoke or endorse a foreign license for offenses committed in Thailand

I really don't know where people get this poop from.....actually I do...from listening to the BS merchants sitting on bar stools

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently received my United Nations Drivers License issued by a shoppe on Khao San Road. Guaranteed for life in all 235 Countries and Territories around the Globe the agent assured me. Hassle free also. Sent from my GT-S5360B. Using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you are just a tourist an IDL is all you need for 3 months. Living here requires a Thai licence, same a s in the west..you get a period of grace then need to conform with the local laws.

A Uk licence may well be accepted by plod here, but if they want to be funny they can insist on an IDL for your first 3 months after arrival.

Cover your ass in case of accidents/incidents..if you are street legal you will at least not automatically be at fault for non compliance. Check the drink driving threads where folk have ended up in Thai prisons

too and don't give them any chance to do that to you. 1st class insurance, camera front and rear and happy trails on Thailands wonderful roads mate.

An IDP (Int'l Driving Permit) is valid for 12 months and I used mine for almost the duration before getting a 1 year Thai licence that was renewed with a 5 year one. Due for another renewal next month.

My Thai DL's make me legal to ride and drive in the other 9 ASEAN countries and in the future Japan, China, and Hong Kong I believe.

Thailand. The Hub of ASEAN driving licenses.

Cool!

Kinda surprised how real countries like Japan and Hong Kong would accept a Thai DL though, given the state of the 'testing' and infamous DL for baht history.

I recently received my United Nations Drivers License issued by a shoppe on Khao San Road. Guaranteed for life in all 235 Countries and Territories around the Globe the agent assured me. Hassle free also. Sent from my GT-S5360B. Using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hey, they do P.hD's as well. You missed out.

www.wikihow.com › ... › Legal MattersLegal Documents for Driving

The United Nations does not issue international driving licenses. If you obtained a document purported to be an international driving permit issued by the U.N., ...

I have just been awarded a Noble peace prize from the same place

No need to "Push" for a 5 year next time It is standard after a 1 year then you will get 5 year driver licenses. This is the way it is done So any License Bureau should and does not this

I have had my drivers license here for more that 9 years and had a 1 year and then a 5 year and 5 year This is the norm and dont let anyone tell you otherwise including your wife

BTY it used to be just before I got my license that a Thai license was valid for LIFE I guess the government figured out they can get money from punters every 5 years

As for emigration asking for 1000 baht to "sort out your paperwork All I can say is you have been had No reason for emigration to get involved other than a Visa that is already in your passport

1000 baht for immigration?????????? for what?

it is free, here in CM they ask me when i get my papaer after 7 days for a donation,

so I gave 200 baht but it is for free!

driving test? not at all, I showed my international driver licence, the copies of all papers and

then they make foto and i got my driver licence, 20 minutes for all together

total costs, 100 baht health paper, 200 baht Immigration, 10 Baht Copies,

less than 300 baht for licence (i not remember the amount)

Sakon Nakhon immigration demand 500 baht for 1 residence cert

you need 1 for each license = 1000 baht for car and motorbike

been there done that

they say they need to charge more because there are less customers there then bigger places like pattaya

you need long stay visa to get 5 years license

Errr being legal to drive.

Hint of sarcasm there mate????

I've been stopped plenty of times and produced my UK licence with no problems whatsoever.

I was stopped at road check in Chiang Rai , Showed them UK license , not good enough either , Thai , or international req`d. 300 b fine .

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society Posted Image

OP seems to be a bit negative, and just having a down demeanor can incline a Thai to tell you to f-off.  I am fat and cute and smile at everyone.  I am routinely referred to as resembling a big kid, and I can get away with just about anything by smiling and uttering any of the ten Thai words I know and getting the "You speak Thai good, You Narak" 

Not at all negative mate. The little Thai I can speak I used, the place was empty and we all had a wee laugh.

Letter confirming residence is usually only 100 baht.  You've been had, lad

I know mate, I can only question it at the time which I did. I got told it was for them sorting the paperwork out. What can I do?

been there done that

they say they need to charge more because there are less customers there then bigger places like pattaya

Ah OK mate. Thanks for posting that. Makes me feel a little better :D

Next time I will hopefully be on a non o visa depending on how my job situation is back in Britain.

mate, I got my 5 year licence last month and it was just under 1,500 baht all up, I did list the costs in here somewhere so others would know what they are. You get the choice of 1 year or 5 year licence after the first year, a 1 year licence does not need you to do the tests(pulling the strings and the light tests) but the 5 year one does.

You shouldn't have to do any kind of test when you get the five year because you already did it before when you got the one year in the first place . Unless things have changed ......

They check your eyes and reaction times again.

As already stated a Thai drivers license works great as an ID card. Whenever I am ask for my passport I use my DL instead which is always excepted. which curiously has the same id numbers as my passport, is this common practice throughout Thailand? Mine where issued at the DOLT Pattaya Chonburi. Plus I feel I get a little measure of respect from the BIB and the locals by having one. Well worth the effort IMHO ...

As already stated a Thai drivers license works great as an ID card. Whenever I am ask for my passport I use my DL instead which is always excepted. which curiously has the same id numbers as my passport, is this common practice throughout Thailand? Mine where issued at the DOLT Pattaya Chonburi. Plus I feel I get a little measure of respect from the BIB and the locals by having one. Well worth the effort IMHO ...

Of course the ID number is the same as your pp number....it is your pp number

A little measure of respect from the BIB & locals ? are you really that insecure ?.....it's a driving license <deleted>

But hey if it makes you feel at one with your thai ness who am I to criticise

Of course the ID number is the same as your pp number....it is your pp number

A little measure of respect from the BIB & locals ? are you really that insecure ?.....it's a driving license <deleted>

But hey if it makes you feel at one with your thai ness who am I to criticise

If you have a yellow book they prefer to use that number on licence

When you renew you licenses you will have to do what you have just done the only difference is your licenses will be for 5/6 years and not 1 year you cannot renew your licenses until they have expired so do not go the day before they will not renew them I know because it happened to me. By law anyone who stays more than 3 months in Thailand should have a Thai license I have a number of Brits who whilst on holiday take there test for a bike license and on there return to the UK apply for a full bike license that means you could do your test in Thailand on a 125 and within a week you have a full UK license for a bike up to and over a 1000cc

been there done that

When I require a letter from immigration I always ask for two and have only ever paid 500 baht When I went once to the license department I needed 2 licenses they just copied my letter from the immigration as I was getting them at the same time. I think a letter will last up to 3 months

When you renew you licenses you will have to do what you have just done the only difference is your licenses will be for 5/6 years and not 1 year you cannot renew your licenses until they have expired so do not go the day before they will not renew them I know because it happened to me. By law anyone who stays more than 3 months in Thailand should have a Thai license I have a number of Brits who whilst on holiday take there test for a bike license and on there return to the UK apply for a full bike license that means you could do your test in Thailand on a 125 and within a week you have a full UK license for a bike up to and over a 1000cc

I renewed one week early and was given the licence but it started when the old one finished and I was told to use that until then.

My congratulations to the OP for obtaining his Thai driving license.

Was the colour-blindness test difficult ?

Thanks mate.

I actually thought the amber was more like a green until the actual green light appeared, they must have thought 'what's he seeing here'.......:D

I have a number of Brits who whilst on holiday take there test for a bike license and on there return to the UK apply for a full bike license that means you could do your test in Thailand on a 125 and within a week you have a full UK license for a bike up to and over a 1000cc

I think they are pulling your leg...there must be more to it than that surely ?????????

Thanks mate.

I actually thought the amber was more like a green until the actual green light appeared, they must have thought 'what's he seeing here'.......Posted Image

Did they make you go through some color albums ?

No, just the traffic light thingy.