The benefits of a Thai driving licence?

longstebe

This is a genuine question.

After visiting immigration, hospital and making copy after copy then finally taking a few tests in the driving centre I received my car and motorbike licences.

Total costs were 1410 baht.

1000 to immigration

50 for my health check

360 at the driving centre.

Both licences are only valid for 1 year and when I renew it, along with all the paperwork again it will still only be valid for 1 year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society :D

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society biggrin.png

Mines 5 years.

• Like 2

First time IS one year, renewal is always five, then renew every five (after expiry). Thais also have to renew. I think the first time you renew it has to be done before expiry, but once you have five years, it is always after. If you time it right, like just after your birthday, you can end up with close to six years.

As stated, foreign licenses are good for short time (rolleyes.gif) only, you need a Thai one to be legit. If you have an accident, you'll at least be safe in the knowledge that you are covered that side and for insurance purposes. Also separates you from the humble tourist (non tourist prices notwithstanding) and easier at check points/tea money points.

Fair doos mate.

I can only hope when I get to renew it, it's for the 5 years.

As long as you have a long term visa/extension of stay you should get 5 years - but in your case you may have to push for it as it appears the person you spoke to is not aware.

As to a good reason how about if you have an accident and the insurance co. want to check that you are legal to drive......before they pay out anything......

Last can you say what you paid Immigration 1000 baht for? Even in Pattaya they only charge 200 for a residence certificate and apparently it is supposed to be free.

mate, I got my 5 year licence last month and it was just under 1,500 baht all up, I did list the costs in here somewhere so others would know what they are. You get the choice of 1 year or 5 year licence after the first year, a 1 year licence does not need you to do the tests(pulling the strings and the light tests) but the 5 year one does.

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U61.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

Mines 5 years.

Mine too

Incorrect.

She's probably been fed xenophobic lies by people who haven't a clue.

I was told by a nice intelligent Thai woman that my motorbike is very nice, but it's a shame that such a nice expensive vehicle cannot be owned by me. (with a smirk)

What do you mean?

Because you cannot own anything here.

Oh right. (removes the pillion seat to show her the copy of the green book listing the motorbike in my name). I think somebody was joking with you. (with a smirk)

Thai woman gets angry, panics and walks away quickly.

After your 1 yr license is expired you simply renew it and are given a 5 yr one. If an idiot employee at the local DoLT says you as a foreigner cannot, take their name and number, and I'll PM you copies of both my 5 yr motorbike and car licenses. smile.png

Edited by pilm

Well it looks like I've been ripped regarding the 1000 baht fee at immigration. They said it was for sorting the paperwork out.

Looks like I will have to push for the 5 year one next time I visit.

Was funny though, pulling strings and stepping on a pedal. :D

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society Posted Image

Incorrect.

I was told by a nice intelligent Thai woman that my motorbike is very nice, but it's a shame that such a nice expensive vehicle cannot be owned by me. (with a smirk)

What do you mean?

Oh right. (removes the pillion seat to show her the copy of the green book listing the motorbike in my name). I think somebody was joking with you. (with a smirk)

After your 1 yr license is expired you simply renew it and are given a 5 yr one. If an idiot employee at the local DoLT says you as a foreigner cannot, take their name and number, and I'll PM you copies of both my 5 yr motorbike and car licenses. Posted Image

:lol:

Ok mate, hopefully it will be a different employee next time. Looks like my question has been cleared up.

Thanks guys.

Much better than carrying you passport everywhere ,its the same as an id card and yes it does get you Thai price at all places.

That's simply not true i have been declined thai price at national parks upon showing a thai driving license as have probably thousands of others.

It in no way entitles you to that of a thai national such as above likely but not 100% guaranteed.

• Like 2

I think the first time you renew it has to be done before expiry, but once you have five years, it is always after. If you time it right, like just after your birthday, you can end up with close to six years.

It's the other way around. The 1 year (probationary) license must have expired when applying for the 5 year. The 5 year must not have expired and can apply 90 days before the expiration. Yes, I know there have been exceptions reported here but that is the regulation.

I agree with this. As for the question of benefits.
I would consider the following, use as ID card, discount entry fees, being legal and making it easier for the Thai person you are dealing with. Many are less than comfortable trying to decipher a foreign passport.
I don’t know where you received such misguided information about DL.

Not if you are a tourist or short term visa.

Ah ha!!!!!

Maybe you've touched on something there. I'm only on a tourist visa at the moment.

Incorrect.

What do you mean?

After your 1 yr license is expired you simply renew it and are given a 5 yr one. If an idiot employee at the local DoLT says you as a foreigner cannot, take their name and number, and I'll PM you copies of both my 5 yr motorbike and car licenses. smile.png

I have had the same from Ex-Pats who have swallowed the same story from their loving Thai wives.

Second licence is 5 years. Used to be 155 baht for two ( car and bike ) old paper ones you had to put in plastic but the new ones are around 550 believe if memory serves me ok.