26 Thai provinces at risk of flooding

webfact

DDPM: 26 provinces at risk of flooding

BANGKOK, 10 September 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has warned residents in 26 provinces across Thailand to brace for flash floods and landslides.

DDPM chief Chatchai Promlert said the flood-prone provinces include Tak, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai, Phuket and Krabi. Residents in low-lying areas are urged to closely follow weather updates.

Disaster prevention units in these provinces have been instructed to prepare to assist those affected by the imminent deluge.

The Meteorological Department earlier reported that a strong monsoon which continues to cover the upper parts of the country will bring rains to most provinces during September 11-13.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-10 footer_n.gif

What do they expect if they clog all their waterways and drains with rubbish.

It rains all the time in Holland and a substantial part of the country is below sea level but the

country never floods.

Thailand's drainage system is just like it's railways....not fit for purpose.

This maybe so but Thailand does rely on child labour to stick their fingers in the dykes as they do in Holland........

It was their fingers wasn't it ? LOL

No, their thumbs

Maybe they should talk to the met office, theres no mention of severe weather there.

In fact the 3 sites i checked suggest its going to be relatively dry for the next few days.

How dare you argue about the Met predictions, they got it right 2 years ago. after BKK got to be underwater world.

• Like 1

HM King Chulalongkorn the Great fixed this issue over a century ago - he built the great canal system (at the same time Britain was building its great canal system) - unfortunately they have been left to silt up and become locked with weeds, to be built over (and reservoirs turned into housing complexes). This is brought up every time there is a flood, but money is never allotted to put the system back in place (and use the bloody thing for transport too and save on road congestion and pollution to boot!). There is simply nowhere for the rain run off to go any more - the canal routes are broken and the reservoirs have been removed - heavy rains will cause flooding worse and worse as it pushes south from the much higher north - until it reaches the sea.

As my post said-let this water out of the dams NOW so you can fill up with the monsoon excess. this water can steadily get out to the gulf before it's too late. The Farmers do not need the water- we do not want any more RICE planted late this year. live off your stockpiles.

• Like 1

Mr water minister, is the water level in the dams low or high ???

remember the last time you admitted that you should have let the water out earlier-then came the heavy rain, the dams couldn't accept any more, hence the great flood.

Now maybe is the time to get rid of most of your water let it go to the sea and you will be able to cope with the extra.

Unless YOUR on the overseas trip with the PM.

If he is I'm sure the official line will be that he and YL are receiving regular reports, are up to date with what's happening and are monitoring the situation from their luxury 5 star hotel.

If YL's reaction to the oil spill is anything to go by she won't feel under any pressure to rush back.

Maybe they should talk to the met office, theres no mention of severe weather there.

In fact the 3 sites i checked suggest its going to be relatively dry for the next few days.

Exactly my thoughts...was about to cancel golf tomorrow until I looked at the weather sites and of course looked out the window???

Tonight
nt_chancetstorms.gif20 °C
Chance of T-storms
40% chance of precipitation
Tomorrow
partlycloudy.gif33 °C
Chance of Rain
20% chance of precipitation
Tomorrow Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif21 °C
Partly Cloudy
Thursday
partlycloudy.gif32 | 22 °C
Chance of a Thunderstorm
Friday
chancetstorms.gif29 | 20 °C
Chance of T-storms
Saturday
chancetstorms.gif30 | 21 °C
Chance of T-storms

I AM FROM HOLLAND ,BUT STILL I CAN SAY IF ITS RAIN IN THAILAND ITS ONLY A LITTLE BIT OFF RAIN .

WY WE HAVE THE BEST OF MOZAIK DYKES OFF THE WORLD? THATS WY!Posted Image

Strange response considering the flood risk in the Netherlands is not with precipitation but with low lying areas and the North Sea.

Wise up man.

Remember 1953.

Tidal surge due to high spring tides combined with strong winds.

No rain in sight.

It rains all the time in Holland and a substantial part of the country is below sea level but the

country never floods.

What are you smoking old son?

You are supposed to wear wooden shoes not smoke them.

September 2013 Netherlands (Holland to Brits) was preparing for floods.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/06/the_netherlands_gets_ready_for.php

What about the frequent British floods. The Brits are too weary after their floods to come and teach the Thais their tricks.

Edited by Netizen
  • Like 1

country never floods.

sorry u forget 1953 in Holland

Seriously though; I live near Mae Ngat reservoir, which is one of the main storage areas off the River Ping in Chiang Mai. I note this year that it's nowhere near full, and has a lot of capacity left. It's now fairly late on in the Monsoon season and there has been little or no flooding in the area. So, despite the warnings, I doubt if we will see any problems this year.It would seem that any excess water has been let flow in an organised way and thus a sensible management scheme has been implemented.

• Like 1

HM King Chulalongkorn the Great fixed this issue over a century ago - he built the great canal system (at the same time Britain was building its great canal system) - unfortunately they have been left to silt up and become locked with weeds, to be built over (and reservoirs turned into housing complexes). This is brought up every time there is a flood, but money is never allotted to put the system back in place (and use the bloody thing for transport too and save on road congestion and pollution to boot!). There is simply nowhere for the rain run off to go any more - the canal routes are broken and the reservoirs have been removed - heavy rains will cause flooding worse and worse as it pushes south from the much higher north - until it reaches the sea.

England's canal system was far more complex than that of Siam long before H.M. Rama V ordered the design and construction of the Rangsit canal system which is still vitally important today. Many of the canals (khlongs) in Bangkok have been covered or are in a sad state of repair.

The main airport sits on top of what was once a major drainage area. Swampy as its name implies..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangsit_Canal

• Like 1

DepRAIN1Jan090913.gif
This map shows the departure from normal for rainfall from Jan 1 to yesterday. As you can see, large parts of central, northern and northeastern Thailand have had less than normal rainfall. The only parts of the Chao Phraya River Basin with higher than normal rainfall are southern Tak, Khampangphet, and Chiang Rai. Given this situation, it would take world-class mismanagement to have widespread flooding again this year.

Having said that, heavy rain up in the mountains can easily cause short term, local flash floods, which is what the original article was warning about. I rather suspect that the TMD issued a press release, which a scientifically ignorant reporter turned into the article in the OP.

• Like 1

What are you smoking old son?

You are supposed to wear wooden shoes not smoke them.

After reading quite a few of his inane comments I knew he was smoking something, had no idea they were wooden shoes. His comment regarding Holland never flooding cracked me up.

I just Googled "flooding in the netherlands" and guess what ? They are having floods there now. Even though their annual rainfall is about 25% that of Thailand they are still affected by rivers flooding, not only flooding from the sea. This time round it is caused by heavy rain in Germany, perhaps Thailand can blame their floods on the heavy rain in Burma, not the clogged up drains. Perhaps their mighty Dutch dykes are actually keeping the flood water in and not letting it get away. Better pull your fingers out, boys ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by mikemac