What Dvds Do You Buy?

thaibebop

I think that how well a movie is liked is better represented buy DVD sales than tciket sales. Buy a ticket to movie, regardless of how good it ends up, just means you got suckered and took the gamble. Most of the time when people buy the movie they know what they are getting.

I watch more movies than I do TV. Love a good story. I buy mostly, but don't limit myself too, historyically influenced films, animation, sci-fi/fantasy, martial arts and Asian movies. I know that last is rather wide, but I love the way Asian films are shot and told, comedy or otheriwse.

I think that how well a movie is liked is better represented buy DVD sales than tciket sales. Buy a ticket to movie, regardless of how good it ends up, just means you got suckered and took the gamble. Most of the time when people buy the movie they know what they are getting.

I watch more movies than I do TV. Love a good story. I buy mostly, but don't limit myself too, historyically influenced films, animation, sci-fi/fantasy, martial arts and Asian movies. I know that last is rather wide, but I love the way Asian films are shot and told, comedy or otheriwse.

Is this another thread killer threadamajig?

1) Get only good DVDs that you plan to show to guests. Make sure they have enough language and subtitle options for you guests. Comedy, CGI movies (Nemo, TOy Story), and special effects films are good for good DVDs.

2) Buy the copies of pisspoor and questionable quality for films that have already debuted and will not show in your area for a while. The worse the quality, the more you are guaranteed to see the movie in a theater just to see what you missed. Go back home and compare again with the ever present frustration that the DVD only fricks up at the good parts.

3) Buy a DVD in Singapore?? HAHA. See censorship first hand - and lose the plot all in one purchase. Learn lipreading for better frustration on more of what you are missing. There is the director cut, the movie release cut, the butchered pirate copy cut, and lastly the Singapore cut. All named the same but not the same story.

Is this another thread killer threadamajig? Eh, no. :o

1) Get only good DVDs that you plan to show to guests. Make sure they have enough language and subtitle options for you guests. Comedy, CGI movies (Nemo, TOy Story), and special effects films are good for good DVDs.

2) Buy the copies of pisspoor and questionable quality for films that have already debuted and will not show in your area for a while. The worse the quality, the more you are guaranteed to see the movie in a theater just to see what you missed. Go back home and compare again with the ever present frustration that the DVD only fricks up at the good parts.

3) Buy a DVD in Singapore?? HAHA. See censorship first hand - and lose the plot all in one purchase. Learn lipreading for better frustration on more of what you are missing. There is the director cut, the movie release cut, the butchered pirate copy cut, and lastly the Singapore cut. All named the same but not the same story.

So, you buy moives from each category here? Why? I am sorry, I guess I don't understand. :D

Is this another thread killer threadamajig? Eh, no. :o

So, you buy moives from each category here? Why? I am sorry, I guess I don't understand. :D

I try not to buy in Singapore because of the censorship. If I can buy in Bangkok or Hong Kong, I do that. If you have the thai languge options, that helps if you have a thai girl.

I like to own classics, movies that you know you'll watch again and again.

I also buy 'bargain bin' dvds, that way if they are rubbish I'll give them away or use them as a beer mat.

:o

Why just buy beer mats and regift the DVDs?

I would buy far more, but most "special offers" are just the latest Hollywood releases and I'm not much interested in that stuff. Even if you look for official releases, there is nothing much to get either. Desperately looking for European classics, also fun stuff like Monty Pythons, or cineastic works from Peter Greenaway. Mission impossible, it seems. Luckily more and more good concert videos are on sale.

I would buy far more, but most "special offers" are just the latest Hollywood releases and I'm not much interested in that stuff. Even if you look for official releases, there is nothing much to get either. Desperately looking for European classics, also fun stuff like Monty Pythons, or cineastic works from Peter Greenaway. Mission impossible, it seems. Luckily more and more good concert videos are on sale.

I take it you are in Thailand trying to find these, yes?

I take it you are in Thailand trying to find these, yes?

yes, indeed..... :o

No point buying DVDs, just download what you want, quicker and cheaper.

I rent the DVD's in the shop next door. If it's a really good movie i copy it and burn it on a DVD. DVD will cost me 42 Baht from Tesco + 35 Baht for the rent. I find this better than buying the DVD's on the street as the Thai subs are usually crap, and often the Q in general as well.

I rent the DVD's in the shop next door. If it's a really good movie i copy it and burn it on a DVD. DVD will cost me 42 Baht from Tesco + 35 Baht for the rent. I find this better than buying the DVD's on the street as the Thai subs are usually crap, and often the Q in general as well.

Is this not against the law?

Is this not against the law?

Shhhhh! :o

I dont see the point of buying DVD's, films are things I watch once and if it is good I may watch again in a year or two when its on telly! My wife has bought no end of DVD's coz she liked the film when we rented it but 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert', 'Full moon party', ' Billy Elliot' 'Charlotte Grey' 'Amelie' 'Spirited away' and 'Withnail and I' all remain in their polythene packets - the only one she bought that has been looked at is 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' which was me drunkenly searching for the best scenes!

Edited by mittheimp

I usually download stuff that won't be available to buy for quite sometime.. particularly if its a TV series I'm interested in.

I buy a lot of stuff that would be too time consuming to download and copy myself. Like full tv series. The cost of dvds here is very affordable anyway.

Best to be careful though because a lot of the operators in pantip plaza are selling really bad quality these days. In MBK its hard to buy for less then 100 baht each unless you are buying in serious bulk (50+), obviously if you are then 70-80 baht each isn't anything out of the ordinary.