Why is the staff in Japanese aimed establishment always more polite?

MrHammer

You might not notice it, but I do. Any kind of establishment which caters to Japanese have more professional, more polite employees. This goes if you compare Fuji Market to Villa Market and it goes for restaurants even for ladies of the night.

In Villa Market, staff loiters around and gossips even while keying in your purchases. In Fuji, they are alert and polite at all times.

In farang aimed restaurants, service is random and uneducated. In japanese aimed restaurants, service is prompt and polite.

Japanese aimed girl places have better looking, more polite girls. Farang girl places have rude and unattractive girl mainly.

There are in my opinion only two explanations for this:

1) Farangs have lower expectations and you get what you ask for

2) Thais think lower of farangs than japanese

I think both are true. The social standing of the Japanese is MUCH higher than the farang population and ALSO that the Japanese have much higher demands for what they expect as reasonable service.

Certainly, comparing service, quality and politeness in Japan to the average cultural-marxist European country, Japan wins with an ace, it aint even close.

The question is, has the ship sailed? I think so. I think the reputation of the farang in Thailand has for quite some time been irreversibly soiled.

I really wonder what others will say. Some will get offended by number 2 2) Thais think lower of farangs than japanese

because japanese are asians and well let's just say considered inferior but it won't be explicitly stated out.

Anyway respect has to be earned.

I've noticed this. I was in a small Japanese restaurant in Bangkok recently and the staff were almost suffocatingly polite and attentive. I've noticed it in other places like the Japanese shopping centre in Ekamai. I asked a few people about this including a farang bird who lives next door to the restaurant. She laughed and said if she had a pound for everytime she'd been asked the same question. Apparently it's what the Japanese expect, somehow connected to geisha and all that goes with that. If you read about about the geisha tradition you'll get my drift.

No need for the paranoid farang among us to get too paranoid.

went into an innocuous looking japanese restaurant in thailand and was greeted by the japanese female owner in no uncertain terms "This is japanese restaraunt". i said so if i dont eat japanese then i must eat thai because there are no farang restaurants on my nominal nationality around at all, so where is the difference? after speaking with her a bit longer she grudgingly served the food i ordered and i ate it tasted fine. all the while i am the only customer in the place at all.

next morning of course the expected glued to the toilet occurred to a worst extent than i have ever experienced. . havent been to any japenese restaurant since then and that was a decade ago. before that episode i went occasionally to other japanese restaurants. no still not going to any japenese restaurants at all.

went into an innocuous looking japanese restaurant in thailand and was greeted by the japanese female owner in no uncertain terms "This is japanese restaraunt". i said so if i dont eat japanese then i must eat thai because there are no farang restaurants on my nominal nationality around at all, so where is the difference? after speaking with her a bit longer she grudgingly served the food i ordered and i ate it tasted fine. all the while i am the only customer in the place at all.

next morning of course the expected glued to the toilet occurred to a worst extent than i have ever experienced. . havent been to any japenese restaurant since then and that was a decade ago. before that episode i went occasionally to other japanese restaurants. no still not going to any japenese restaurants at all.

All the other customers were single Japanese men yakuza types. All of them not talking to each other and drinking whisky - I think. Each one with a Thai girl stood there attentively filling their glass up. No craic, no laughing just grim. Food was great though.

You sure you spoke exactly ad verbatim as you have written? Did she understand what you were saying? whistling.gif I love these japanese restaurants man it's so cool to only have that certain nationality welcome in a foreign country nontheless. So elite.

• Like 1

Maybe it was just for money laundry....I had a similar experience in a money laundry italien restaurant in Europe (they got closed for money laundry a few weeks later)

Japanese are much more courteous than Farangs.

Japanese don't walk around Thailand dressed like lazy slobs.

Japanese spend much more money that Farangs.

Japanese do not spend all their time on TV type sites Thai bashing.

Now, who would you expect to get the best service from Thais in Thailand?

For some odd reason some farangs still expect to be treated better simply cos they are farang. Wonder why do they have such a mindset.

Japanese are much more courteous than Farangs.

Japanese don't walk around Thailand dressed like lazy slobs.

Japanese spend much more money that Farangs.

Japanese do not spend all their time on TV type sites Thai bashing.

Now, who would you expect to get the best service from Thais in Thailand?

For some odd reason some farangs still expect to be treated better simply cos they are farang. Wonder why do they have such a mindset.

There was an article on Stickman a few months back that talked about this very thing, although it focused on the bar scene (http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/Bangkok-bar-Asian-customers.htm).

An excerpt from the article:

[(Stick) sent a question to a bunch of bar owners asking them about the bad points of Asian customers in their bars. The question wasn't merely leading. It was loaded. Their responses surprised me. Not a bad word was said from any of them. Not one single negative comment! One of my favourite Bangkok bar bosses, a Brit with a popular bar in Patpong had this to say, "I wish my bar was full of Japs every night, never a problem, girls love them, pay their bills, never bitch. That's it!"]

Note that the term "Jap" is offensive in America, but apparently not so in Europe. Anyways, I don't think the OP is imagining this because it's probably more reality than mere coincidence. And as for the trend....well, you all can judge for yourself. That's why it's such a turn-off for me when farangs act like d*ckheads, it reflects on all farangs.

Just wasnt impressed with the 15 minute wait for a table, thrown in a corner. Attitude of the staff in particular was poor as you said but the food for me was worse. Bland, tasteless, overpriced <deleted>. And where else charges for wasabi? Albeit its only 5bht but come on... to top it all off they stick on a 10% service charge.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try Fuji in Hua Hin for me the best example for realy bad service but the food is ok unfortunately some of our farang fellas has given us such a bad reputation that it is now quiet difficult to make this up- love the pics above..

Edited by Crazy chef 1

Fuji is make-believe Japanese food for Thai people. You won't find many Japanese eating there.

Correct. Food is awful and beers overpriced.

Thais love it though. Because they don't know the real thing.

85 busy and successful Fuji restaurants in Thailand. Awful food, ya right. Thais don't know any better, ya right. You are English right?cheesy.gif

• Like 1

To understand the answer, you have to understand Japanese culture. In Japan, if you walk into a store you are always treated with a smile and at least person saying "irashimasen!" to you as you walk into a store. It is a polite culture, and customer service is the best you find in this entire world. If it is not applied to stores with mostly Japanese clientele, the absolutely WILL NOT shop there again. They will go somewhere and pay more if it means better customer service. If you ever spend any time lving in Japan you would instantly understand.

BTW, Fuji isn't real Japanese food. I'm pretty sure of any of my Japanese friends were here they wouldn't eat there more than once.

Edited by RtotheC
  • Like 2

I'm not talking about Fuji restaurant but Fuji Market compared to Villa Market.

And Villa Market has the worst, loitering isaan staff money can('t) buy. While the staff in Fuji is diciplined and efficient. Who owns these Villa Market places? I find it hugely annoying to pay for my overprized import stuff while 4 isaans banter as if I wasn't there.

Very poor management. This is fundamentals 101 of running a retail shop.