Buying Men's Clothing In Thailand

Trevor

Thai clothing can be really cheap compared to the West. But when you factor in quality and durability, especially after washing, the net 'value' can be suspect. Labels often lie; '100% cotton' socks turn out to be man-made fibre and ladder in no time.

I don't like the way Thai stuff is arranged by brand with a salesperson ready to pounce as soon as you enter their arena. Makes homing in on one's final choice embarrassing and time-consuming.

One needs to shop wisely to get the best of both worlds. I certainly prefer to buy my footwear and underwear in the West.

So where do you guys go for casual outerwear like trousers and shirts? Pratunam, Big C, Robinson, Tesco Lotus, Central Chitlom or ... ?

Thanks for your input.

i took some friend ( european body ) in two center

one was central silom complex who has two shops ( i think 3 floor ) discount price item ( gant / timberland )

the other place is in central pinklaow who has two shops for european man.

i pinklaow is a great shop to get blazzer / parka / hanorac very well discount ! near entrance of central 2 or 3 floor .

for underwear i go to MBK , tokyo department store !

i have a great place for socks ( cotton ) in mbk to , in the new section !

A lot depends on how big you are.

I am 6ft, with 40" waist and find it very difficult to buy off the shelf.

Underwear is OK, I buy in the local market along with sports shirts,

but trousers and shirts for business I have made for me by the tailor.

It doesn't really cost any more.

size is allways the problem for the larger (compared to Thai) person, there is a place in Khonkaen that can supply me with stuff though.

Try the XL shop or the places called Export Shop; this is where a lot of samples are made. Big sizes, and decent quality. Very cheap too :-) Can be found in most major shopping malls; most of the stuff is American size, which makes me an M; whereas local sizes I am usally an L or XL. :o

If you buy fake junk, expect it to be junk....

Not always true,

but if it does fall apart, you can afford to buy another at that price!! :D

I hate this fashion thing, where you pay 10 times the price for an item because it has

some flashy name on it. :o

you pay 10 times the price for an item because it has

some flashy name on it. :o

yes - because most of it is made in this neck of the woods

it will take a little practice , but cheap compared to the label mabel west , but you have to look and try and maybe pay a smidgen more than the cheapest price - and you will find the gear you are looking for.

both bo bay and pratunam will give you same quality at a good price if you are prepared to walk , look , and talk

Where is bo bay ??

Bo Bay is not far from Mision Hospital. They sell wholesale, mostly you have to buy a dozen. Cheap and reasonable price.

If you want a good and reasonable price for trousers or blazer, chinese or Indian trailor shall make good and not that expensive. YOu can select your own quality of cotton, linen or silk.

Or in mostly shopping center. But I personally dont like the cutting of men's trousers here in Bangkok. In Europe the cutting is proficiency. And the price ( if you choose ) not much more expensive than in Thailand.

For underwear, we have quite good and very cheap here. Shoes and winter clothes, better buy in your country.

size is allways the problem for the larger (compared to Thai) person, there is a place in Khonkaen that can supply me with stuff though.

Try the XL shop or the places called Export Shop; this is where a lot of samples are made. Big sizes, and decent quality. Very cheap too :-) Can be found in most major shopping malls; most of the stuff is American size, which makes me an M; whereas local sizes I am usally an L or XL. :o

The export shop is excellent, i get most of my clothes there nowadays as Thai XL is too small for me. The only thing you have to be careful with is that they sell brandclothes for the west with small faults. Most is just cosmetic, but you still have to look carefully at the items.