Surapong says Kofi Annan understands Thai political situation

webfact

Surapong says Kofi Annan understands Thai political situation

BANGKOK, 11 September 2013 (NNT) - Minister of Foreign Affairs Surapong Tovijakchaikul has revealed that former Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan understands the Thai political situation and is willing to travel to Thailand to join in national reconciliation forums.

According to Mr Surapong, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has met with Mr Annan who asked her about Thailand’s reconciliation process.

The premier told the ex-UN chief that the government had arranged public hearings on the matter as well as forums on economic, social and political reforms. Ms Yingluck also explained the government’s campaign for an amnesty bill to Mr Annan.

The former UN secretary-general said reconciliation would take time and it would not happen if all sides held on to the past. He added that the government was already on the right track.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-11 footer_n.gif

Andddddd yet another 'foreign adviser' disappears down the Rabbit Hole only to end up in the multicoloured world that is LaLaLand, to emerge wearing a look of bemused bewilderment lasting at least a week after takeoff. Chok dee Kofi thumbsup.gif

I expect Kofi understands a lot better than Surapong thinks he does.

100% agree

Kofi is not an idiot.

He knows perfectly well that when one convicted criminal controls the Government which in a real democracy would not be there and try's to white wash the crimes of a convicted criminal who is in effect running the country while he lives in exile it will not lead to reconciliation.

People forget that Thailand is not a democracy in a democracy 48% of the votes would not be enough to win the election you would need over 50%. Here we have a clear cut case that over 52% of the voters did not want Thaksin yet we get a government that refuses to listen to the 52% who do not want him.

I am not up on all the different kinds of government but I know this one is a parliamentarian one and the states is not a democracy either it is a Republic.

It is my belief that Kofi is an honest man and Surapong is not going to like what he has to say. I wonder if he will say any thing about the government deliberately with holding a real education from the people so they won't see through them. That goes for all the previous governments also.

• Like 2

100% agree

Kofi is not an idiot.

He knows perfectly well that when one convicted criminal controls the Government which in a real democracy would not be there and try's to white wash the crimes of a convicted criminal who is in effect running the country while he lives in exile it will not lead to reconciliation.

People forget that Thailand is not a democracy in a democracy 48% of the votes would not be enough to win the election you would need over 50%. Here we have a clear cut case that over 52% of the voters did not want Thaksin yet we get a government that refuses to listen to the 52% who do not want him.

I am not up on all the different kinds of government but I know this one is a parliamentarian one and the states is not a democracy either it is a Republic.

It is my belief that Kofi is an honest man and Surapong is not going to like what he has to say. I wonder if he will say any thing about the government deliberately with holding a real education from the people so they won't see through them. That goes for all the previous governments also.

I suspect that it is the attitude of posters such as yourself that help perpetuate the problem. Throw some %'s around and we are suppose to accept them as truths. The truth is that Thaksin was not on the ballot. The truth is how many people want or don't want him is irrelevant. The party that represents him has a history of winning elections. You can fault the people in the party and the voters, but they clearly keep winning.

Some people simply will not accept that under the current system, this is who rules the country.

I don't know if Kofi Annan understands the Thai political situation or not, but his experience and input should be noted.

Edited by Credo

100% agree

Kofi is not an idiot.

I suspect that it is the attitude of posters such as yourself that help perpetuate the problem. Throw some %'s around and we are suppose to accept them as truths. The truth is that Thaksin was not on the ballot. The truth is how many people want or don't want him is irrelevant. The party that represents him has a history of winning elections. You can fault the people in the party and the voters, but they clearly keep winning.

Some people simply will not accept that under the current system, this is who rules the country.

I don't know if Kofi Annan understands the Thai political situation or not, but his experience and input should be noted.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

But to be honest I have no input on the situation. Just facts on a forum filled with people like myself and a few like you. None of us can really do some thing about the situation.

You don't have to accept the 52% voting against him go ahead and fight city hall.

The true figure is much larger because believe it or not there was some voters who voted PTP thinking they were going to get Yingluck. Add them to the 52% who made it known they didn't want Thaksin and add on the Yellow shirts who definatly didn't want him but were mad at Abhist for not starting an all out war with Cambodia and you will find not that many want Thaksin. Have you not noticed even in his strong holds 3(75%) out of 4(100%) of them voted for the Dems in the last elections.

Most of the people who want him are either on his pay roll or receive direct benefits from those who are on it.

• Like 1

One thing needs to be made clear in the world of Mr Surapong, who gives one stuff about Mr Annan , Mr Blair, father Xmas or who ever you may ask to your talks on reconciliation, the point you and your co partners have failed to understand , it is you lot that caused the problem in the first place, now you want everyone else to help you solve a problem, that will never go away, Thaskin Shinawatra and Co should have done more home work on the out comes before going off on half baked idea's, like Thaskin running from the law.bah.gif

• Like 1

Why should Thailand even be seeking "understanding" from the UN or any of officials, Didnt an ex-PM close to the governments heart publicly state the UN is not our parent or words to that effect ? And now they want understanding.....hypercritical me thinks

• Like 2

One thing is clear - despite his alleged faults, Kofi has a lot more credibility than Blair. However I suspect, as one poster has pointed out, that much of the article is Surapong attempting to put words in Kofi's mouth.

None of these 'names' invited are going to solve anything. A few sensible speeches, so balanced as to be fence sitting, and off they go to another talk fest.

• Like 1

100% agree

Kofi is not an idiot.

Interesting comments - and that's how it works here. But, you mention that PTP has a history of winning elections. How many previous elections have they won?

• Like 1

Why should Thailand even be seeking "understanding" from the UN or any of officials, Didnt an ex-PM close to the governments heart publicly state the UN is not our parent or words to that effect ? And now they want understanding.....hypercritical me thinks

I don't think they are seeking "understanding" from anybody. They are simply trying to attract some famous ex-politicians and similar here to add a veneer of international acceptance. I wonder if any of those invited are dumb enough to believe what the government tell them or do some research first.

I don't think they are seeking "understanding" from anybody. They are simply trying to attract some famous ex-politicians and similar here to add a veneer of international acceptance. I wonder if any of those invited are dumb enough to believe what the government tell them or do some research first.

Ones suspects His Tonyness didnt give a sh1t as long he was paid, and one also noticed that Emma Thompson never showed either...

Why did Koffi not attend the last love-in forum in Thailand?

One suspects a more pressing matter of chemical weapons being used in the Syria, although we know the primary school that is Thailand, is the center of the universe, I am sure YK understood and forgave him on this occasion

100% agree

Kofi is not an idiot.

Interesting comments - and that's how it works here. But, you mention that PTP has a history of winning elections. How many previous elections have they won?

Actually they have won quite a few: after:

- Numerous populist policies aimed at very large numbers of deliberately targeted voters, but which have no content whatever in regard to long-term development which would create the circumstances whereby many many Thais would have a much better quality of life through their own productivity.

- Mass manipulation of very large numbers of deliberately targeted voters.

- Education of the same groups at red democracy schools which preach hate and play doctored tapes, and teach nothing whatever about what democracy is, why it's desirable, the pillars of democracy, etc.

- Massively uneconomic policies in terms of rice buying / trading - and interesting how this connects to the points just above.

- Zero education reform which might well make many more Thais much more analytical and much more aware of the shenanigans going on right under noses.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Is this an attempt at trying to legitimize theses so called reconciliation talks with foreign dignitaries giving speeches of encouragement? Even though this government has no intention of following any advice it might get. After all foreigners don't know Thai democracy is not the same as democracy?

Edited by ggold

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Baerboxer" data-cid="6813326" data-time="1378891412">Baerboxer, on 11 Sept 2013 - 16:23, said:<p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="americaninbangkok" data-cid="6812224" data-time="1378870329">americaninbangkok, on 11 Sept 2013 - 10:32, said:<p>

post-71053-0-67244600-1378896998_thumb.j

• Like 1