Tigerair starts flights to Chiang Mai

CMfoodie

Checked it out.

There are lots of + + +. From a base cost of THB4800 return, no luggage allowance, no food, basic seating the costs were already at THB7100.

Still cheaper than Silk Air (the only other carrier doing this route).

And saves the Bangkok transit (time wasted).

Great news really.

• Like 1

Checked it out.

There are lots of + + +. From a base cost of THB4800 return, no luggage allowance, no food, basic seating the costs were already at THB7100.

Well of course there are lots of extras.

The execs are all graduates of the Phineas T. Barnum School of Business, where they learned that the great man never said "There's a sucker born every minute."

But he did say "Without promotion something terrible happens...nothing." And "Every crowd has a silver lining." And "Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American Public." And "Advertising is to a genuine article what manure is to land - it largely increases the yield."

Then again, maybe he did say "There's a sucker born every minute." He never denied it, anyway. It's just that so many other con-artists claimed it as their own.

Very many thanks CMfoodie

After seeing your post I booked today for gf and me to Singapore early November. All in, cost Bt 14500 for the 2. A steal. And if folks dont like budget airlines with the inevitable extras for those who cant travel light, let them pay a lot more than the extras come to with a 'proper' airline.

But with Tiger you can take 2 cabin bags each, to a total of 10kg each-plenty for me for a short trip

• Like 2

Checked it out.

Great news really.

yes its cheaper. its probably not worthwhile you opt for all options

silk air in november everything in is at 12.6k baht. tiger air with 15kg, meals, booking fees, basic seats selection etc etc is over 11k. a unlimited changeable ticket is over a whopping 40k. silkair changable (i believe twice?) is at 16k

Very many thanks CMfoodie

After seeing your post I booked today for gf and me to Singapore early November. All in, cost Bt 14500 for the 2. A steal. And if folks dont like budget airlines with the inevitable extras for those who cant travel light, let them pay a lot more than the extras come to with a 'proper' airline.

But with Tiger you can take 2 cabin bags each, to a total of 10kg each-plenty for me for a short trip

>>A STEAL ? << i THINK THEY STOLE FROM YOU .LOL

Checked it out.

Great news really.

Last time we used Silk Air, we flew DIRECT from Chiang Mai to Singapore. Didn't have to go to Bangkok.

Tiger-air is trying again after almost being grounded by the weight of negative publicity over their "difficult" attitude towards customers. "Take Care, if you Fly, Tiger-air."

Checked it out.

Is charging for all luggage the norm now? Last night I was checking a fare from Chiang Mai to Australia on AA, one way was 9,392 baht, I pressed continue and suddenly up came a fare of about 10,600, it had added 20 kilo's of luggage and upped the price by 1,200 baht. I could find no way of getting that flight for the quoted 9,392 baht. Is that the way it is this year? Previous years I have opted for 15 kilo's going at no additional cost and payed extra for 20 kilo's on the return. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice.

skyscanner showed the cheapest fare to Tiger is indirect and double the price.

Silkair direct was bht35k!!!

In europe folks on forums like this love to hate Ryanair, but they carry 32m passenger a year-people voting with their wallets.

If you see flying as a 5* experience, Tiger and other budget carriers are no good for you but if you think of flying as like catching a bus and dont expect a load of free extras, just want to go quickly,safely and cheaply, its a great service.

Works for me as we take trips we would otherwise not make.

• Like 1

Checked it out.

The execs are all graduates of the Phineas T. Barnum School of Business, where they learned that the great man never said "There's a sucker born every minute."

But he did say "Without promotion something terrible happens...nothing." And "Every crowd has a silver lining." And "Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American Public." And "Advertising is to a genuine article what manure is to land - it largely increases the yield."

Then again, maybe he did say "There's a sucker born every minute." He never denied it, anyway. It's just that so many other con-artists claimed it as their own.

Humourous and informative...

American business practices transplanted to East Asia where they have flourished.

Insights like that raise the intellectual tone of the topic to my level.

Checked it out.

Is charging for all luggage the norm now? Last night I was checking a fare from Chiang Mai to Australia on AA, one way was 9,392 baht, I pressed continue and suddenly up came a fare of about 10,600, it had added 20 kilo's of luggage and upped the price by 1,200 baht. I could find no way of getting that flight for the quoted 9,392 baht. Is that the way it is this year? Previous years I have opted for 15 kilo's going at no additional cost and payed extra for 20 kilo's on the return. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice.

You have to be careful with Air Asia as they do the add ons themselves and it is up to you to delete them. You can delete the 20 kg or adjust it down, I think you can opt for 15 kg and maybe 10 kg. The same goes for insurance. Unless you delete it you pay for.

The more the merrier, you have a choice whether to fly premium or budget..no one can stop you... I would prefer airasia join in the fray where their promotion prices are a steal if you book well in advance .....just two weeks ago I booked SIN/BKK/CNX/BKK/SIN sectors with transit in BKK on AA, for next week's travel at 8500 baht..

Edited by chuang

Checked it out.

You have to be careful with Air Asia as they do the add ons themselves and it is up to you to delete them. You can delete the 20 kg or adjust it down, I think you can opt for 15 kg and maybe 10 kg. The same goes for insurance. Unless you delete it you pay for.

Saan, I can find no way to delete the 20 kilo's, I can find no options at all re luggage. I know previously you could opt out. Have AA changed their policy.

Checked it out.

Humourous and informative...

American business practices transplanted to East Asia where they have flourished.

Insights like that raise the intellectual tone of the topic to my level.

Glad you liked it... I aim to please.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked it out.

I think you made up some of those quotes.

Checked it out.

Great news really.

Last time we used Silk Air, we flew DIRECT from Chiang Mai to Singapore. Didn't have to go to Bangkok.

Tiger-air is trying again after almost being grounded by the weight of negative publicity over their "difficult" attitude towards customers. "Take Care, if you Fly, Tiger-air."

The problem I have with these cheap air flight deals is you never really know what the deal is. A lot of time the price is a steal but only on certain days and there is only so many seats on that flight. Then people post here like this was the every day all seats price. It is not a matter of shop around it is a matter of watch daily for there deals and then jump on them when they come out. then make your holiday plans or what ever.

Checked it out.

Great news really.

The problem I have with these cheap air flight deals is you never really know what the deal is. A lot of time the price is a steal but only on certain days and there is only so many seats on that flight. Then people post here like this was the every day all seats price. It is not a matter of shop around it is a matter of watch daily for there deals and then jump on them when they come out. then make your holiday plans or what ever.

Why is it a problem ? Like any product you want to purchase on line ,you do a search, if the price/date meets your expectations you process the payment and you know exactly what the deal is.

If not the "deal" you want simply check out another airline or another date,not a long process,maybe 30 minutes, and you can save big bucks .Low cost airlines have made travel affordable for many who would otherwise never travel, or travel a lot less.Competition just benefits all of us.

• Like 1

Checked it out.

Why is it a problem ? Like any product you want to purchase on line ,you do a search, if the price/date meets your expectations you process the payment and you know exactly what the deal is.

If not the "deal" you want simply check out another airline or another date,not a long process,maybe 30 minutes, and you can save big bucks .Low cost airlines have made travel affordable for many who would otherwise never travel, or travel a lot less.Competition just benefits all of us.

What you say is true but if you read my post you will notice I said posters post it like it is an all seats every day deal. I have checked at times only to find the flight is full when in fact it was not but the cheap seats were.

Been a while since I have traveled other than to Bangkok and on to Pattaya by bus.

The last time I flew internationally I found the price for Air Asia and then went to a travel agent and booked with Singapore air as they were 500 baht cheaper than Air Asia I was going to Bali. The point is it will take you a lot longer than 30 minutes to check all the different air lines and a travel agent (Of course you need a reliable one.) might know of a better deal with a major airline. If not you can go back to the computer and look there.

In addition to being 500 baht cheaper there was no plus plus plus in it meals 20 kilo luggage all included.

• 4 months later...