Police report 1,204 crimes in Phuket in August

webfact

Police report 1,204 crimes in Phuket in August
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1378814914_1.jpg
Gov Maitree Intusut presided over the meeting.

PHUKET: -- A total of 1,204 crimes were reported to police in Phuket in August, with 1,264 people arrested, a meeting at Phuket provincial Police Commander’s office was told this afternoon.

Four of the crimes were murders, with three people arrested; rape, sexual assault and common assault accounted for 25 cases, with 20 arrests; and there were 72 cases of theft with 38 arrests.

Of the total arrested 317 people – roughly one in four – were held on drugs charges. Sixty-two were arrested for possession of narcotics with intent to sell, while another 255 were caught in possession or failed drug tests.

Foreigners took up their fair share of the statistics, both as victims and perpetrators of crimes. Nine were victims of assaults, shootings or other forms of bodily harm, while eight fell foul of robbers.

Among foreigners arrested, 24 were locked up for assault, three for theft, two for possession of drugs, four for overstaying in Thailand, seven for working without work permits and four for being in the country illegally.

Seven foreigners died in Phuket in the month. One was a suicide, another was classed as accidental, two were drownings and three died of medical conditions.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-report-1-204-crimes-in-phuket-in-august-41835.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-11

I don't know the numbers in other parts of the world, but 1204 crimes in a month in a place the size of Phuket seems quite high to me. And 4 murders in a month sounds crazy. Anyway, there were 255 who just carried drugs or failed a drug test, I wonder who were the victims of those. Still pretty high figures I would say

only 8 fell foul of robbers, so only 7 if you count me, a thai woman came into my house and stole wallet with driving license, credit card and 7000 bht from a shirt pocket, I didn't know it was a thai woman till 2 days later. A window behind a screen I never unlock was found to be unlocked, obviously to re enter and steal more at a later time, sure enough 2 days later I came back from the shops to be told a thai woman turned up the minute I left the house and was trying to open said window, the neighbor chased her off. Turns out she is a local woman, still not found though, who was just hanging around like a vulture waiting for me to go out so she could rob me. I would really like my driving license back if anyone knows this woman, in her 30's was wearing a red sports shirt with yellow arsenal badge and white shorts, and drives a kawasaki 110 mini bike around the nia harn area.

3 days after being robbed a thai guy on a bike tried to knock me off my bike for no apparent reason then sped off before i could get his reg plate details

about 4 days after that a thai guy in a pickup truck chased me down visset rd for just touching my horn to let him know i was there, luckily we hit traffic and i got away. or god knows what would have happened.

I've been here 3 years and apart from having a motorbike stolen from phuket town, it's been problem free. August was a bad month for me.

being as you have to pay the police if you want them to take any action and the fact they can also be bribed to ignore an arrest the figures are huge , around 4 fold i recon .

Yes...I agree. These are only the documented stats. In my opinion the real figure is probably 5 times the documented figure. Last week I was a victim in three separate criminal acts. How many did I report...None.

We should also not over look the gigantic elephant in this room. August is a wet month in the pit of low season.

• Like 1

Just 40 crimes per day !!!! Does seem high to me. I wonder how that compares to Bangkok and also how it compares to other big cities round the world. I think whatever stats you look at, it's still pretty high...

Seems high to me for a town the size of Phuket! ...and this is the low season! facepalm.gif

They used to report some arrests on prostitution charges.

I suppose the numbers are high enough now that they do not need to be inflated using these imaginary prostitution charges...

No mention of Jet Ski or Taxis either, guess they fit into the same category!

Yes, they conveniently ignore these stats, whilst including overstays and work permit violations...!?

being as you have to pay the police if you want them to take any action and the fact they can also be bribed to ignore an arrest the figures are huge , around 4 fold i recon .

I recon you would come up with other numbers with the same lack of knowledge if you had consumed a different quantity of beer before posting. And how many actual instances have you witnessed/experienced where cops had to be bribed to work?

Yes...I agree. These are only the documented stats. In my opinion the real figure is probably 5 times the documented figure. Last week I was a victim in three separate criminal acts. How many did I report...None.

We should also not over look the gigantic elephant in this room. August is a wet month in the pit of low season.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Ahh another statistics expert. You prefer your crime numbers as prime numbers do you? rolleyes.gif Hey I was a victim thee separate times myself during the week: A taxi overcharged me with a definitely rigged meter (a frequent route of mine so no doubts), a car did not yield to me on a crosswalk signal in my favor and a prostitute groped me on the street while I was walking to a local 7-11. Oh yeah one more. I purchased an electronic gadget and Norton 360 found spyware on the driver disk! w00t.gif

And low season? Business is slow so this could also be a catalyst for crime.

Edited by techboy