Sea water quality off Samet Island improves

webfact

Sea water quality off Samet Island improves
By English News

13788647564203.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 11 – The quality of sea water near Samet Island off the coast of Rayong province, tainted by an oil spill from a crude oil pipeline, has greatly improved and should return to normal later this month, according to the director general of the Pollution Control Department.

Wichien Jungrungruang said quality checks of sea water on 12 Samet Island beaches and bays found that the levels of oxygen and heavy metals were below the hazardous standard.

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) were also below the standard level and would not affect marine lives in the area, he said.

Collection of samples on September 3 at 11 beaches on the island found the level of total petroleum hydrocarbon (TPH) at 0.05-0.29 microgrammes per litre – lower than the sea water quality standard, he said.

He warned tourists, however, against swimming at Prao Bay where the TPH level, measuring at 3.30 microgrammes per litre, was higher than the safety standard.

Mr Wichien said the quality of sea water near Prao Bay and other beaches has gradually improved and should be back to normal later this month.

The Natural Park Department will be asked to close Prao Bay until next month, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-11

what they mean is that it's at the normal level of pollution, high. I will say though that the sea has been looking beautiful the last few days, like a millpond. (the sand is still full of rubbish from the squid fishing fleet though).

So, they took measurements at 11 beaches that were not the focal point of the accident, and found the TPH to be safe in the range from .05 to .29. But Prao Bay--which was the focal point of the accident--is not safe for swimming because TPH was measured at 3.30. Doesn't this mean that the rest of the island that didn't get much oil is safe, but the primary location of the accident is still not safe--after how long? Wasn't it going to be cleaned up in just a few days? Perhaps Mother Nature wasn't listening.

And oxygen can't be below hazardous limits. If dissolved oxygen is low, it indicates the presence of organic pollution. Dissolved oxygen needs to be above minimum levels--not below them. So I assume they mean DO was above minimum levels, and heavy metals (which have little or nothing to do with an oil spill) were below hazardous levels.

So, they took measurements at 11 beaches that were not the focal point of the accident, and found the TPH to be safe in the range from .05 to .29. But Prao Bay--which was the focal point of the accident--is not safe for swimming because TPH was measured at 3.30. Doesn't this mean that the rest of the island that didn't get much oil is safe, but the primary location of the accident is still not safe--after how long? Wasn't it going to be cleaned up in just a few days? Perhaps Mother Nature wasn't listening.

And oxygen can't be below hazardous limits. If dissolved oxygen is low, it indicates the presence of organic pollution. Dissolved oxygen needs to be above minimum levels--not below them. So I assume they mean DO was above minimum levels, and heavy metals (which have little or nothing to do with an oil spill) were below hazardous levels.

Worked in spill response then large scale remediation for the past 22 years. I'm here on Samet now. Been round a few of the beaches and cannot see any indication there was ever a spill. Haven't been down to Ao Prao though.

The island doesn't need an oil spill to keep tourists away. It's like a landfill site anyway.

MJP-- thanks for your insights!

Worked in spill response then large scale remediation for the past 22 years. I'm here on Samet now. Been round a few of the beaches and cannot see any indication there was ever a spill. Haven't been down to Ao Prao though.

The island doesn't need an oil spill to keep tourists away. It's like a landfill site anyway.

MJP-- thanks for your insights!

Very welcome. Unless the hydrocarbon has turned to a mousse (emulsion) impact on dissolved oxygen is negligible. Bacterial respiration occurs at the oil water interface.

What does need sorting out is the drainage system, now chockablock full of sand and cement from the uncontrolled developments. Will need breaking out and relaying.

Big rainstorm last night. Me, five girls and a ladyboy having to wade through dirty water knee deep down main street just to get to Ploy Talay (which was dead as a door nail) and on to Reggae Pub for a birthday party sing song. Bottle of SangSom later and I'd forgotten all about the drainage, the spill and the endless litter.

My room in main street narrowly missed being flooded by about 5mm.

yes, the guey chunks are getting smaller

Ao Prao will have a longer term problem with residual heavier fractions in the sub-littoral fringe.

Probably need digging up at some point, the sand being treated above ground using ex-situ bioremediation or hazardous landfill disposal or thermal treatment if available or whatever they do over here, LOL!

"Ao Prao will have a longer term problem with residual heavier fractions in the sub-littoral fringe"

I'm having problems with the sub-literal fringe. In idiot-speak for us mere mortals, please MJ. Nice to have someone with your knowledge feeding us info, but we really need to understand it. Grab another bottle of Mekong, kick the ladyboy out and get typing. :)

"Ao Prao will have a longer term problem with residual heavier fractions in the sub-littoral fringe"

I'm having problems with the sub-literal fringe. In idiot-speak for us mere mortals, please MJ. Nice to have someone with your knowledge feeding us info, but we really need to understand it. Grab another bottle of Mekong, kick the ladyboy out and get typing. smile.png

It's the bit of the beach that's uncovered at low tide. Imagine all that oil washing up and down the beach on the tides.

Oil will be smeared at deeper depths (vertically through the sand) within this zone and thus residual pollution will persist.

(But to be honest, it's nothing compared to the untreated sewage, solid municipal waste and hazardous wastes discarded into the sea here everyday.)

Edited by MJP

Excellent. I understood that. And I'm completely sober. Grateful for any further insights you have. My daughter and I have fond memories of Samet of a couple of decades ago, so it breaks my heart to see it in this state. Cheers mate.

Wong Duan looks the same as it ever did.

But this island needs serious remedial management on all fronts if it's to remain a 'destination'.

In short, it's pretty horrible here and I only come here because I used to live here and have many friends here.

Edited by MJP

A microcosm of Thailand, I'm afraid. You've probably read all the same threads I have, so nothing should surprise. I've been watching this state of deterioration for 25 years - ah, well. Time for a Horlicks and off to bed.

Only 13 years for me. Yes, Samet has fallen victim.

However, the village I live in (70km's north of Roi-Et) used to be third world landfill sort of place, but is now pristine and lovely.

Where does all the waste water for the island go anyway?

Discharged at night into the bays.

I have trodden in. In flip flops. Not pleasant.

Ao Prao will have a longer term problem with residual heavier fractions in the sub-littoral fringe.

Probably need digging up at some point, the sand being treated above ground using ex-situ bioremediation or hazardous landfill disposal or thermal treatment if available or whatever they do over here, LOL!

They burn it in Saraburi.

• Like 1

They burn it in Saraburi.

Waste Management Inc.?

Discharged at night into the bays.

I have trodden in. In flip flops. Not pleasant.

I thought that was going to be the answer. No wonder the DO is low anyway....