ILR after Oct 2013

I am considering returning permanently to the UK next year with my Thai wife and 4-year old son. My intention is to apply for a settlement visa for my wife, and then apply for ILR after she's been there for 2 years. However, I understand that with effect from October 2013 ILR applicants will need to meet the the following requirements:

As both tests require an Intermediate level of English, my wife's chances of passing them (even with 2 years in the UK) are remote.

Assuming she fails them, would she have other options for remaining in the UK, or would she have to return to Thailand?

I really want my son to get an English education, but I don't want to find myself in a situation where we're forced to return to the UK after 2 years. If that happened my son's limited Thai would a big disadvantage for him.

The Life in the UK test, and English B1 tests, are much harder than I expected and most of the Thais I know wouldn't pass. I appreciate immigrants in the UK require a certain proficiency in English, but the UK govt. are setting the bar much too high.

HI

Do not underestimate what your wife is capable of, with all due respect.

My wife came to the UK in November 2010 just before the English tests were introduced because we did not think she would pass.

She has now passed ESOL entry level 1 and 2. Inter 3 which is equivalent to B1 and Life in the UK. Just started English Level 1 which she has already said is very difficult even after only 1 day.

As you see, it is achievable.

MaprangHomes - thanks for the link, I'll take a read.

Stanaris - I appreciate your input. I'm glad your wife is doing so well. My wife's speaking and listening skills are probably at a strong Elementary level, but her reading skills are much weaker. If the ILR process does take 5 years, hopefully that would be long enough for her to improve, and pass both tests.