We choose defiance over image: Democrat Chuan Leekpai

webfact

The Democrats have to waken up to political reality that they are up against PTP led by a ruthless leader who will not let anyone or anything stand in his way and keeping a polished, nice people image isn't going to do it for them.

I'm not suggesting they descend to the level of red shirt thuggery and chair throwing isn't the way to go as it is the type of incident that gives a quick news clip and that's what the media wants. Childish playground politics isn't beyond them, or any Thai politician for that matter.

Being polished and reasonable is only one aspect of projection but they need to remember what's supposed to be kept inside that velvet glove.

Do these inept democrats not have anyone in their ranks light fingered enough to filch a few trillion baht with which to hire Baker Botts, Amsterdam and Peroff, buy a few tv stations and newspapers etc to do a full cult of personality drive? Defiance is all very well, but in this age of certain politicians reaching for deity it will be another lackluster failure. Fight fire with fire if you want to see concrete results, although with every passing day the Shinawatra clans tentacles are tightening and its likely too late to stop the hereditary familial dictatorship that Thailand will be suffering under for the next 30-50 years.

They lost their 'good' image the moment they colluded with the coup-making army generals to form the only post-coup government possible. Not that they had much of a choice at the time, I'd imagine. I blame the army's meddling in politics for all of this turmoil. Made a complete martyr out of Thaksin.

The Samak post-coup government?

• Like 1

They lost their 'good' image the moment they colluded with the coup-making army generals to form the only post-coup government possible. Not that they had much of a choice at the time, I'd imagine. I blame the army's meddling in politics for all of this turmoil. Made a complete martyr out of Thaksin.

And soon the country will pay the price of Thaksins folly!

And soon the country will pay the price of Thaksins folly!

I liked Chuan. He was PM when I 1st came to Thailand to reside.  I think he's now getting a bit old and rusty.  

Aren't they all. Most politicians here are over 60 some are into their 80's. They have been screwing Thailand a long time.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Did Taksin pay you to write such rubbish?. Or have you not lived long enough in Thailand to have seen many previous goverments come to power or changed in exactly the same manner as Abhisit came to power. The army-coup makers had nothing to do with him coming to power. All the MP's who voted for him had a free vote all transparantly shown on TV in spite of the huge bribes Taksin was offering for the support of his nominee. The choice of Abhisit with his integrity and fine education and expertise against a policeman!! Many chose what was best for Thailand. Taksin told his supporters that that it was the army and coup makers who put him in powers and unfortunately they beleived him.

• Like 1

Did Taksin pay you to write such rubbish?. Or have you not lived long enough in Thailand to have seen many previous goverments come to power or changed in exactly the same manner as Abhisit came to power. The army-coup makers had nothing to do with him coming to power. All the MP's who voted for him had a free vote all transparantly shown on TV in spite of the huge bribes Taksin was offering for the support of his nominee. The choice of Abhisit with his integrity and fine education and expertise against a policeman!! Many chose what was best for Thailand. Taksin told his supporters that that it was the army and coup makers who put him in powers and unfortunately they beleived him.

"Did Taksin pay you to write such rubbish?."

Nope. My opinion is worth exactly the same as yours. Zero.

What a load of borlocks. The coalition was formed in an army base with the invisible hand alledgedly making offers the Chart Pattana political party "simply could not refuse" to join the coalition. Newin made his infamous "its all over boss" phone call to Thaksin and jumped ship purely for cash promises but he learnt his lesson and Thaksin cut the Bhum Jai Thai party adrift into the political wilderness at the next election.

Integrity...jumping conscription. If you write nonsense I may be here to challenge you again

What a load of borlocks. The coalition was formed in an army base with the invisible hand alledgedly making offers the Chart Pattana political party "simply could not refuse" to join the coalition. Newin made his infamous "its all over boss" phone call to Thaksin and jumped ship purely for cash promises but he learnt his lesson and Thaksin cut the Bhum Jai Thai party adrift into the political wilderness at the next election.

Integrity...jumping conscription. If you write nonsense I may be here to challenge you again

It is your right to be a red shirt supporter and love Taksin. I guess you must have about the same level of education (or lack of) as the red shirts to beleive the high powered propaganda that Taksin paid for and spread to destroy Abishit. And your dislike of him is because he has all the qualities you lack.

Did Taksin pay you to write such rubbish?. Or have you not lived long enough in Thailand to have seen many previous goverments come to power or changed in exactly the same manner as Abhisit came to power. The army-coup makers had nothing to do with him coming to power.  All the MP's who voted for him had a free vote all transparantly shown on TV in spite of the huge bribes Taksin was offering for the support of his nominee. The choice of Abhisit with his integrity and fine education and expertise against a policeman!! Many chose what was best for Thailand. Taksin told his supporters that that it was the  army and coup makers who put him in powers and unfortunately they beleived him. 

What <deleted>. BARNHARN Silpar Archa and said party has been in EVERY government since the year dot there are ALWAYS offers.

<deleted> Thaksin has one of the coup generals in his fold of bought and payed for Mp's.

And they may have been cut adrift but BJT still managed to get 35 Mp's elected.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You have to forgive Peter he wasn't here. He went to a red shirt school on democracy and was given false information.wai.gif

Personally I think politicians should retire same age as every one else. Get rid of the dinosaurs biggrin.png

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

I like the idea of retiring at 60. It would open the door to new comers and lock out people like Thaksin. He would be unable to buy that many people and still they would have time enough to learn and practice the business of running the country.

Yes there would still be corruption but at least Thailand would be open to newer ideas.smile.png

Hopefully not on how to improve the take in corruption.sad.png

No one has believed in the democrats image in a decade, sigh. Thaksin is all they got - Hope he doesn't die on them or they have nothing

That would be a step up from having Thaksin.smile.png

It is to bad the press chooses only to print the violence and completely ignore the ignorance that the PTP is trying to shove down the throats of the Thai public.

In my opinion it was a good thing to show the voters that they are not just a bunch of gentlemen who don't really care about the people. The shame is the press hides the corruption and inept abilities of the PTPredshirts.

It is a long up hill battle fighting city hall and the press.sad.png

I like Chuan, but as PM he was spineless, allowing other members of his coalition government to dictate policy and budget spending, he cancelled the army’s secret budget which at the time stood at approx. 235 million, shortly after separatist fired at a train in the south killing one passenger and Chuan restored the army’s secret budget.

The secret budget was money the army was given over and above their regular budget, ostensibly to fund secret military operations, the army did not have to explain to anyone what happened to this money.

You have to forgive Peter he wasn't here. He went to a red shirt school on democracy and was given false information.wai.gif

Am I allowed to fabricate things about your personal life as well? Man, I could have some fun with that...

Please refer to this warning http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/479383-no-discussion-of-the-monarchy-in-political-context/

I will copy & paste for those not bothered to link:

Many people have been losing their posting rights or receiving suspensions because they continue to make comments on the Monarchy, and members of the Thai Royal Family in a political context. This is in violation of Thai law which explicitly states that The Monarchy is above politics.

- Do not make any accusations about any individual's or groups' loyalty toward The Monarchy.

- Do not speculate on the opinions of any member of The Royal Family.

- Do not discuss succession or speculate on the future of The Monarchy.

This includes hinting at, joking about, or using innuendo about the above, or referring people to outside information containing such things.

While we do not wish to needlessly restrict discussion of current events in Thailand, it's necessary that we put the above restrictions in place to ensure that local laws and customs are honoured, and the forum remains a viable news source for Thailand's expat community.

You may see some news articles referring to such things, but remember that they have expensive legal teams that vet the quotations first, and you/we don't.

Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.

The moderating team.