Thai editorial: Quick fixes have left education in a mess

webfact

EDITORIAL
Quick fixes have left EDUCATION IN A MESS

Populist policies have failed the country; it's time we stuck to a master plan

BANGKOK: -- Considering the number of education ministers Thailand has had in the past few years, it's no surprise that the quality of the country's education is so poor.

The latest confirmation of this is the recent World Economic Forum (WEF) Global Competitiveness Report for 2012-2013, which ranked Thailand worst among the eight Southeast Asian countries evaluated. The frequent changes at the helm of the Education Ministry are just part of the wider problem.

The two years of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's Pheu Thai-led government have seen four ministers of education, with Chaturon Chaisaeng the incumbent. The choice of ministers has not been bad - and is actually the least of the problem. Like Chaturon, his predecessor, Pongthep Thepkanjana, was also widely admired. But the frequent changes at the top are evidence of lukewarm attention being given to the issues at stake.

Under pressure after the WEF ranking, Chaturon has vowed to take the lead in putting our education system on par with international standards. He is not the first minister to set that target and probably won't be the last. His problem is how to forge a policy that lasts longer than his tenure in office.

Improving the education system is an arduous task in itself, but it is made even tougher by its entanglement in politics. The urgent need for an upgrade has fallen foul of political influence, with past and present governments seeking solutions via populist policies. At first glance, things look promising. Study at the compulsory levels is free, youngsters have been given free computer tablets, and older students can get loans for further study. Such feel-good policies are bound to draw favourable publicity.

But when the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle from past government's policies are assembled, the picture

that emerges is of a country without an education master plan. There might be a master plan in theory, but the reality is a mosaic of different policies spanning years that lacks unity.

Democracy, especially at a time of such wide divisions among the electorate, encourages politicians to launch "quick fixes" rather than a sustainable policy. Some projects prove unsuccessful and fizzle out. Others are just halted when a new minister arrives. Worawat Auapinyakul, Yingluck's first education minister, wanted to have students speak at least one word of English per day. The idea sank without a trace. Pongthep planned to revamp the curriculum to help students learn more outside the classroom. After he left office, the plan was shelved.

The real problem is not bad ideas but the fact that the root causes of the system's poor quality have barely been addressed. Teachers still rank among the most poorly paid workers and lack proper training. Meanwhile, the quality of school management in rural areas lags behind urban standards, and the enrolment system for high schools and universities has been changed frequently.

Chaturon could be right to look into the criteria under which Thailand's education ranking has plunged. They include the quality of school management, labour development and training and higher-education enrolment - these are undoubtedly areas where problems exist - but Thailand doesn't need the WEF or any other agency to remind it of the urgent need for reform.

Problems have been left to fester for so long that no "quick fix" can cure the chronic wound. What the country needs first and foremost is to shun populist measures and spend the necessary time and effort to address the deep causes. The country needs one sustained policy drive that tackles the root causes, one that will not disappear with any change in government.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-12

• Like 1

Things that should be done to help in the short term.

1) Early retirement for the older teachers, they are holding back progress because they dont understand new teaching methods. That wouldnt be so bad, but they dont allow others to implement them either and since its such a hierarchical system nothing ever changes. From what many Thai's have told me, this is well known amongst most of the country

2) Get rid of the no fail policy! Many students dont try because they know they cant be held back.

3) Raise the salary to attract better teachers. Instead of pensions, give them cash up front. This allows people with the skills to teach more incentive to give it a go even if for a couple years.

• Like 2

1) Early retirement for the older teachers, they are holding back progress because they dont understand new teaching methods. That wouldnt be so bad, but they dont allow others to implement them either and since its such a hierarchical system nothing ever changes. From what many Thai's have told me, this is well known amongst most of the country

2) Get rid of the no fail policy! Many students dont try because they know they cant be held back.

3) Raise the salary to attract better teachers. Instead of pensions, give them cash up front. This allows people with the skills to teach more incentive to give it a go even if for a couple years.

4) Keep politics out of education.

• Like 1

Perhaps the first step is to establish a set of standards which every teacher and administrator must meet in order to qualify for a position. Then, fire every teacher and administrator, and have each one apply for an opening. Those who do not meet the qualifications, don't get hired.

Of course, the downside of this plan is that there might be one qualified teacher and administrator for every 50,000 students.

The Thai education system has dug a hole so deep that it will take decades to climb out of it. However, if they don't start doing something about it now, it will only get worse.

As I see it the real problem is no one wants to do what it takes to fix the problem.

To fix the problem it is going to take a massive change in the education system. As has been said drop the no fail policy start holding them back until they get it through their head they will need to learn to move ahead.

That is a flippant but true thing to say. How to achieve it is not that easily done. You must start at the college level where the teachers learn how to teach. With out competent teachers you will have a continuous series of plans that fail. Secondly forget the quick fix. This is going to take at least two generations of students and in most cases three to come about. With out that recognition Thailand will never develop a school system that works. They will continue to turn out students who need a calculator after 10 or 12 years of schooling to add 2+2 and come up with 4. They will have been through at least 12 quick fixes and be none the wiser for it.

Develop real teachers will take one generation as the ones in training now are all ready steeped in the old system and it will take them a generation to change then they will be able to start teaching.

All so drop this insane drive to teach them all English. 90% of them will never need it and 50% of them will probably never meet an English speaking person. Make it available but not mandatory.

• Like 2

I doubt that, above a certain level, in Thai society there is any real interest in reforming the education system. Above this level most would send their children overseas for serious study. I am not just talking about very wealthy families here. I have met many Thai students studying in Sydney who come from middle class backgrounds and work (as they are allowed to do) to help pay for living costs and tuition. Hopefully as his number of younger educated Thais grows and they fill senior positions they will realise the benefits of good education for the masses. For myself, I doubt it, as keeping the masses poorly educated makes them easier to control, and how much education do you need to bolt together a Ford Ranger pick up.

[/quote

The problem is that less than 10% of the population can afford to send their child overseas, thats why we need to improve NOW!

Is a countries status measured by its wealth, or is it measured by its education?

Edited by Mampara

This subject has been thrashed to death more times than I've had hot dinners. There is no 'quick fix' or 'slow fix' because the powers that be do not want to fix anything; it all suits them the way things are. Sure, you will get plenty of lip service and big numbers being thrown around but what good has actually been done at grassroots levels in the past five years ? Do they really believe handing out tablets is the answer to Thailand's education woes ? Mere gimmicks my friends, mere gimmicks.

Ya, it's like the Pied Piper. All the kids are going to have to leave town before something is done.

With a lot of things in Thailand, it's the unaccountability and lack of self reflection that leads to poor quality. In Education that is the case on all levels, from principal to student. The principal became principal of who he knows and not what he is able of, and the students pass anyway, with or without hard work.

Sad to say but in international context and in many societal aspects, Thailand has become the hub of ineptitude.

• Like 2

I doubt that, above a certain level, in Thai society there is any real interest in reforming the education system. Above this level most would send their children overseas for serious study. I am not just talking about very wealthy families here. I have met many Thai students studying in Sydney who come from middle class backgrounds and work (as they are allowed to do) to help pay for living costs and tuition. Hopefully as his number of younger educated Thais grows and they fill senior positions they will realise the benefits of good education for the masses. For myself, I doubt it, as keeping the masses poorly educated makes them easier to control, and how much education do you need to bolt together a Ford Ranger pick up.

[/quote

The problem is that less than 10% of the population can afford to send their child overseas, thats why we need to improve NOW!

Is a countries status measured by its wealth, or is it measured by its education?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that reform is not needed , I just don't see a lot of genuine interest from the people that can make the changes, only a lot of smoke and mirrors.

I agree completely with your last statement that a more even spread of a country's wealth usually comes with a better educated population through a growing middle class. This is happening in Bangkok and perhaps some of the larger cities but not throughout the country. Bangkok based working class Thai friends of mine appear to have a much greater appreciation of a good education than 20 years ago when I first spent time in Thailand however they are powerless to instigate the changes that are required.

Yet another story about Thailand's backward educational system (I say this through gritted teeth as there are some decent teachers here)

Yet again another story about who, what, when, where and why is to blame.

Yet again, nothing changes!

The problem must not rest with the present minister or his immediate predecessors. The problem must surely be with ALL education ministers cos not one has the balls to face the truth and admit that the whole system needs ripping up and re-shaping.

But...

Is the problem of a poor educational system not just a reflection of Thai habits and ideology?

Maybe a lot of other things need to change first before Thais will even admit the system is broken.

Edited by lostmebike

.....corruption is alive and well..........

..I was bilked by a former advisor to The Ministry of Education....an ethics professor in a prominent university, no less.....

...I have had directors of government school where I was teaching demand a kickback of 150,000 baht in order for me to enroll my daughters...

...I had my teacher's licence for for 4 years....only to have my subsequent employers allow it to lapse and be forced to work without the paperwork...

...I have been offered a bachelor's or a master's from a neighboring country...with transcripts and university verification...

...citizens of this country have flooded the educational field......with these types of degrees...and the Thai educational milieu turns a blind eye...

....corruption that was displayed in agriculture. forestry and any other domain is alive and well in wheelings and dealings in the educational field...

...and then there are the tablets.....

• Like 1

They do not want any help from westerners because they feel we are trying to brainwash and take over the country... Sad thinking!

That applies to a lot of Thailand. The railways and drainage system,building codes, police etc

WHEN IS THIS COUNTRY GOING TO CREATE A GLOBAL LEVEL PLAYING FIELD I CALL ON YINGLUCK TO MAKE SURE EVERY STUDENT GETS FREE EDUCATION UNTIL GRADE 12 THEN THAILAND WILL BE A POWERHOUSE

FREE EDUCATION HOW ABOUT IT RED SHIRTS AND YELLOW SHIRTS SHIRLEY THIS IS COMMON GROUND DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN

I spent over twenty years as a lecturer in adult education, the last few years as a senior lecturer with responsibility for quality of teaching and delivery. There were some good ideas on teaching practices and quality, and how to measure it, and there were some not so good.

As has already been said, establishing and maintaining teaching standards and quality is not rocket science - there are plenty of internationally accepted and clear practice guidelines, which include how to obtain meaningful feedback and follow-up on results and achievement (including post-qualifying).

The problem here, amongst many other socio-political 'throwbacks', is that there is a fundamental lack of political will (i) to invest the necessary (realistic) resources; (ii) to look beyond Thailand for best practices and experience; (iii) to provide appropriate teacher training to reflect those best international practices and experience; (iv) to take the necessary measures to 'clear' the current system of its deadwood and (v) to properly reward those who demonstrate best teaching practice.

That fundamental lack of political will is, unfortunately, at the very heart of the problem of Thailand's poor education system (as well as other neo-feudal elements of Thai culture) and, as has been said so often before, it is quite simply NOT in the interests of the ruling elite, whatever their 'colour', to change the status quo, particularly in relation to having a well-educated populace.

Thus, there cannot be any fundamental change UNLESS external influences (including ASEAN, WEF et al) become so obvious and Thailand falls so far behind (particularly economically) that even the ruling elite can no longer afford to ignore them.

Change MUST come but I fear, as it will require a fundamental cultural shift, IF it comes it will come far too late and Thailand will be in real danger of becoming a 'third world' country once again, not to mention the potential for social unrest and upheaval.

Education IS the future.

I spent over twenty years as a lecturer in adult education, the last few years as a senior lecturer with responsibility for quality of teaching and delivery. There were some good ideas on teaching practices and quality, and how to measure it, and there were some not so good.

As has already been said, establishing and maintaining teaching standards and quality is not rocket science - there are plenty of internationally accepted and clear practice guidelines, which include how to obtain meaningful feedback and follow-up on results and achievement (including post-qualifying).

The problem here, amongst many other socio-political 'throwbacks', is that there is a fundamental lack of political will (i) to invest the necessary (realistic) resources; (ii) to look beyond Thailand for best practices and experience; (iii) to provide appropriate teacher training to reflect those best international practices and experience; (iv) to take the necessary measures to 'clear' the current system of its deadwood and (v) to properly reward those who demonstrate best teaching practice.

That fundamental lack of political will is, unfortunately, at the very heart of the problem of Thailand's poor education system (as well as other neo-feudal elements of Thai culture) and, as has been said so often before, it is quite simply NOT in the interests of the ruling elite, whatever their 'colour', to change the status quo, particularly in relation to having a well-educated populace.

Thus, there cannot be any fundamental change UNLESS external influences (including ASEAN, WEF et al) become so obvious and Thailand falls so far behind (particularly economically) that even the ruling elite can no longer afford to ignore them.

Change MUST come but I fear, as it will require a fundamental cultural shift, IF it comes it will come far too late and Thailand will be in real danger of becoming a 'third world' country once again, not to mention the potential for social unrest and upheaval.

Education IS the future.

Agree with all the above comments, but this is not just the problem in education.. it's rife throughout all things Thai !!

• Like 1

Education IS the future.

Agree with all the above comments, but this is not just the problem in education.. it's rife throughout all things Thai !!

Accepted, though the focus here is on education and I did allude to "other neo-feudal elements of Thai culture".

".....corruption is alive and well..........

..I was bilked by a former advisor to The Ministry of Education....an ethics professor in a prominent university, no less.....

...I have had directors of government school where I was teaching demand a kickback of 150,000 baht in order for me to enroll my daughters...

...I had my teacher's licence for for 4 years....only to have my subsequent employers allow it to lapse and be forced to work without the paperwork...

...I have been offered a bachelor's or a master's from a neighboring country...with transcripts and university verification...

...citizens of this country have flooded the educational field......with these types of degrees...and the Thai educational milieu turns a blind eye...

....corruption that was displayed in agriculture. forestry and any other domain is alive and well in wheelings and dealings in the educational field...

...and then there are the tablets..... " (toriros)

And, sadly, Toriros is quite correct about corruption, not just in education but throughout Thai cultural and political life.

Edited by awayego

WHEN IS THIS COUNTRY GOING TO CREATE A GLOBAL LEVEL PLAYING FIELD I CALL ON YINGLUCK TO MAKE SURE EVERY STUDENT GETS FREE EDUCATION UNTIL GRADE 12 THEN THAILAND WILL BE A POWERHOUSE

FREE EDUCATION HOW ABOUT IT RED SHIRTS AND YELLOW SHIRTS SHIRLEY THIS IS COMMON GROUND DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN

Who is Shirley and what has she got to do with it ?

• Like 2