Golden chimney Indian restaurant review

jinners

Ok thought Indian lovers might want to know my recent experience of the Golden Chimney, Pattaya Tai close to the Shell station near 3rd road. Went there last night with my Thai GF as I'd read a review in some publication, where they said it offered very tasty multi cuisine, and they still say that outside, it is however now strictly Indian only. Not a problem for me and my GF agreed she'd find something she was happy to eat.

Nice clean restaurant and very comfortable surroundings. Seeing as we were the only people in there (8.45 p.m. on a Wednesday evening) service was good. Ordered chicken samosas and onion Bahji starters. Samosa's filling was lovely, more than can be said for the pastry which was like cardboard, and the Bahji's were just onion slices dipped in a batter deep fried. Hmmmm??

Main course was a prawn jal frezi type dish for her and a chicken kathai (I think) for me. The prawns were so salty ( and hard) she asked it be replaced. My chicken was at least edible, or so I thought but could only get down half of it before gasping for water, and the chicken was getting harder and more over cooked with each bite. The prawn dish was replaced, not as salty but with similarly hard prawns. Awful. The rice was 'OK' and the Nan was probably the best thing on the table.

My GF being a business person and quite a foodie suggested we tell them our thoughts, which I did, as obviously they are in need of some assistance. I mean the food was awful, the restaurant is very nice and in a great location, should be busy but empty. The waiter told me they have trouble dealing with tourists from all over the world and try to please everyone with their cooking. I told him sorry, I'll give a 2 out of 10 and I would love to meet the customers they have who order hard prawns with a salt pot please.

End of story is 2 bottles of water and food, a 1000 baht. Not worth it and won't go near again unless I see there are other people in there meaning the chef has hopefully been sacked and replaced.

I've eaten there twice with friends and we were happy with our meals. However, this was several months ago. My only complaint is the place is always empty so it's kinda lonely.

Unfortunately Indian restaurants and the general Third Rd area don't seem to work.

I ate at Baadshah (near Cherry's) a few times over the last two years or so. Same owners as Raj I believe. It was always empty. It closed a few months ago.

And Spices2 closed recently - despite occasional coachloads of Indian tourists.

Haven't tried Golden Chimney.

I went to the Chimney with a very large group for a set meal at a special price, which made it reasonable value though still overpriced to my mind. Generally I thought the place was OK without being at all exceptional. I found the food to be pleasant enough but bland, which for some bizarre and unknown reason seems to sum up all Indian places in Thailand. For this reason I dont think I would go back.

And Spices2 closed recently - despite occasional coachloads of Indian tourists.

Apparently Spices2 closed due to the landlord wanting a higher rent for a new contract. I doubt that the coach parties paid more than 100B each for the buffet, which is about what it was worth. At 200B for the "walk-in" rate it was very overpriced, as are nearly all the other regular Indian buffets I have tried here.

The only exception to that is Dicey Reilly's on Wednesday. At 300B that one is much more expensive but much better value, apart from the fact that the food has hardly any flavour and a small bottle of water costs an astonishing 80B.

I went to the Chimney with a very large group for a set meal at a special price, which made it reasonable value though still overpriced to my mind. Generally I thought the place was OK without being at all exceptional. I found the food to be pleasant enough but bland, which for some bizarre and unknown reason seems to sum up all Indian places in Thailand. For this reason I dont think I would go back.

frugal freddies?

• 4 weeks later...

We are extremely sorry for the bad experience you had at our restaurant. I believe you were with the Freddy Frugal group, I would like to point out that during our meeting we were specially told to tone down own spices. Our A la carte is always freshly prepared according to the specific taste of the customers which is mild, Medium spicy or spicy. We strongly recommend you to join us for a meal again and serve you better.

Many Thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney

We are extremely sorry for the bad experience you had at our restaurant. I believe you were with the Freddy Frugal group, I would like to point out that during our meeting we were specially told to tone down own spices. Our A la carte is always freshly prepared according to the specific taste of the customers which is mild, Medium spicy or spicy. We strongly recommend you to join us for a meal again and serve you better.

Many Thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney

Don't worry about them...for a hundred baht they expect a gourmet meal. I mean, you should see them pigs at the Loaf pizza trough.

• Like 1

I have noticed a sad pattern in general with local Indian restaurants. Not all. But probably most. There is the assumption that if you have the white skin that you can't handle authentically spiced Indian food. That is so wrong! A white person who is actively seeking out Indian food most likely loves Indian food. REAL Indian food. With the spices. Not pointing at the Chimney specifically here, but this message needs to be said to all Indian restaurateurs. Sure if a customers ASKS for tone down, do tone down, but DO NOT tone down just based on skin color. I have even had the experience at some places of explicitly explaining my spice preference and getting bland anyway, and then complaining, and then being told oh Europeans don't like the same as Indians. DUH!

So when you combine the general situation with local Indian restaurants, overpriced and also spice bias based on skin color, no personally I don't eat Indian food here as much as I would like!

One good thing about buffets targeted to Indian tour groups, even if we have to overpay for them, at least with that food the spices are done the Indian way!

Fully agree.When Im ordering a vindaloo and is asked if I want it spicy the whole dining experience always turn out to be bland and boring.

If I want dull indian food I can buy a jar of Uncle Ben`s !!!

• Like 1

I admire your courage in posting. Not many restaurants would do the same.

I didnt say that I had a bad experience; I described it as OK which by my standards is certainly not bad. As I mentioned my main criticism was the blandness of the food and you are probably correct to say that this may simply have been what you were asked to provide for the group.

You are certainly correct to say that I should come again and order from the menu, and I will.

• Like 2

Don't worry about them...for a hundred baht they expect a gourmet meal. I mean, you should see them pigs at the Loaf pizza trough.

The Loaf pizza buffet is 239B, not 100B. Not everyone who goes there does so purely to eat vast amounts (though I suspect that some do). Some people go to sample many different types of pizza without having to order (and pay for) many whole pizzas that they wont ever finish. But in quantity at the buffet they probably only eat as much as they would if they had ordered one whole pizza. That's why I go there anyway.

The meal I had at Golden Chimney also cost a lot more than 100B.

I admire your courage in posting. Not many restaurants would do the same.

I didnt say that I had a bad experience; I described it as OK which by my standards is certainly not bad. As I mentioned my main criticism was the blandness of the food and you are probably correct to say that this may simply have been what you were asked to provide for the group.

You are certainly correct to say that I should come again and order from the menu, and I will.

so you are a closet frugal freddie after all......

so you are a closet frugal freddie after all......

It's none of your business but I'm not a closet anything and I believe I mentioned previously that I am not a member of any group or association anywhere.

commenting on here, or on the internet , makes it anybody's busines

when you join a public forum, what you write on said forum is just that, public.

so you rebuff my assumption that you are not a frugal freddy but do not rebuff golden chimney for making the same assumption or deny that you were part of the frugal freddy group that dined there that night

then you go on to be strongly attracted by a 299baht deal at golden chimney and you are a staunch defender and advocate of the cheap Loaf buffet

sounds pretty frugal to me.....