'Banharn's mistress' rumour leads to legal complaint

webfact

'Banharn's Mistress' Rumour Leads To Legal Complaint

BANGKOK: -- A young actress and TV personality has filed complaint to the police after rumours on the social network allege that she is a mistress of former Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-Archa.

Previously, a photo showing Mr. Banharn placing his hand on the back of the actress, Ms. Sornslip ′Manao′ Maneewan, started circulating on social network sites, and the rumour about their romantic relationship quickly followed.

The picture was later reposted along with a text alleging that Ms. Sornsilp is Mr. Banharn′s "minor wife" (mia noi), and she had caused several arguments, which drove Khun Ying Jamsai, Mr. Banharn′s wife, away into monkhood.

Speaking to the press yesterday, Ms. Sornsilp, who had won the contest of Miss Teen Thailand in 2008, explained that she had been a friend of the former Prime Minister′s family for quite a while now, and that she respects him personally because Mr. Banharn is an icon of Suphanburi Province - her hometown.

Later, the 21 year old actress visited Bang Sue Police Station in Bangkok to file a legal complaint to the officers and urge them to find the suspect who initiated the rumours.

"I was very shocked when I first saw the photo and the text" said the actress, "I would like to know who′s behind it, what they want, as their post had defamed my family and Mr. Banharn".

Meanwhile, Mr. Banharn dismissed the rumour and insisted that the photograph has been used as a "political tool" to damage his reputation. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09EazNOalkxTVE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-12

Wow! This is what the Thai police spend there time doing! In most countries if a celebrity faces gossip and rumours its news for the tabloids but in Thailand it is the main story on the morning news and the police waste their time listening to her complaint!!!! Rumours and gossip are now against the law in Thailand and this crime is treated on the same level as murder and drug trafficking! What a joke.

I'm pretty sure Barnharn has a mistress or even mistresses. Sad to say, it's the Thai way. However, I think it's pretty unfair to spoil a young girl's reputation based on a single rather innocent looking picture. You may not like him or Thai politicians for that matter but using some girl to get at him is pretty nasty.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Barnharn has a mistress or even mistresses. Sad to say, it's the Thai way. However, I think it's pretty unfair to spoil a young girl's reputation based on a single rather innocent looking picture. You may not like him or Thai politicians for that matter but using some girl to get at him is pretty nasty.

You miss the point her totally.

It is not using some young girl to get at him; it is using some old man to get at her that is pretty nasty.

I don't agree with you at all. We have no idea if its true or not! When one is a celebrity there are always scandals, gossip, and rumours that you have to deal with. It is part of being a public figure. If you can't take the heat then don't jump into the fire. It is very common for Thai girls to have affairs with rich, older, and prestigious men. It is also common for rich, old, and prestigious Thai men to have affairs with younger Thai girls. True or not this is news for the tabloids not the main story on the morning news and a circus in the local police station!

You said it yourself. We have no idea whether it's true or not but yet the tabloids are on it due to a SINGLE innocent looking picture. And yet we still wonder about the defamation laws here.

I don't agree with you at all. We have no idea if its true or not! When one is a celebrity there are always scandals, gossip, and rumours that you have to deal with. It is part of being a public figure. If you can't take the heat then don't jump into the fire. It is very common for Thai girls to have affairs with rich, older, and prestigious men. It is also common for rich, old, and prestigious Thai men to have affairs with younger Thai girls. True or not this is news for the tabloids not the main story on the morning news and a circus in the local police station!
Edited by gl555