raspberry pi - where to source in Thailand

ajarnpot

I bought a few from here: http://www.thailand.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

Have to say that I'm not too impress with the raspberry, I'm constantly have problems with the SDcard getting corrupted bah.gif

Same experience here but oddly enough the worst offender seems to be Raspbian. I've got 3 SD cards with Raspian, Pidora and Arch installed, and one card that I use to try other distros like XBMC, PiBang etc. The Pidora card is rock solid, never gives any corruption or problems. Of course, that is rather moot now that it seems Fedora is not going to support/update Pidora, at least according to the Raspbian forum. The Arch distro works fine, has only ever crashed once, but it's a bit minimal for my tastes and the Raspbian one is super nasty in that it has something like a 50% failure rate after I unplug the Pi. And yes, I am shutting it down properly. It's rather weird because all the distros have been moved around from card to card to see if it was the card or the distro and it seems to be the distro. Even tried re-downloading the Raspbian one. The 3 cards are all 8GB, type 10. The one for use with other distros is a 32GB type 10. The power supply was the one purchased from the vendor of the Pi, so it's sort of officially supported. I think I got it from Allied Electronics, not sure.

Re the Thai distributor- that seems like a pretty high price (Fifty bucks for a 35 buck unit).

If you have a specific use for the Pi related to it's strengths it's a good deal, but if you don't have any interest in learning programming, learning Linux, doing I/O or other such things there are probably much better options out there. Arduino is one that springs to mind, and NUC also although that one is a bit pricey.

• 6 months later...

I ordered a Raspberry pi from Raspberry PI Thai and paid online. Now I can not contact them by email, fb message or phone. Does anybody have a similar experience?

Oh that is strange, as they resell the rpi's from Element 14 .. never had a problem with them but I have not used them for ages as we buy direct..

Further to my post on Raspberrypithai, their web site, online shop and facebook page I include an email extract from the Raspberry PI foundation. As I got to the site after reading this topic I consider this post relevant and it may help other Thai Visa members from avoiding my mistake.

"

Hello Paul

Thank you for your email. I was really sorry to hear that you have been terribly let down by these people posing as representatives of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. I can confirm that they are nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and we will be taking steps now to ensure that they are dealt with for trademark infringement.

That said, I have no idea whether they are unscrupulous but hope you are able to get in touch with someone soon to find out what has happened to your order.

Kind regards,

Elaine

Elaine Reed Raspberry Pi Foundation www.raspberrypi.org

"

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For anyone interested, Gravitech now have a store in Fortune on the top floor and are displaying and selling ARM boards and stuff... Rasp Pi, Arduino, Bananapi etc.....

They also have a website.

A little more expensive though.