73 yrs. Any chance for a decent health insurance?

moonseeker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 63 gave up paying crazy prices if I am ill I go to the Government hospital just because they are not expensive does not say they are not good at there job from what I am told when the doctors have finished there shift they then go to the Bangkok hospital a couple of miles away to earn a little extra. I do have accident insurance as I believe there is more chance of having an accident than just falling sick I would how ever still use my local Government hospital have done for the last 8 years with no complaints

Couldn't agree more. I am a month off 73 & never had the need for medical insurance.

I do have accident insurance though, but that does not include a motorcycle accident. Almost cut my ankle off with a power tool a couple of years ago. The locals bundled me in the back of a rusty old pickup & took me to the local hospital. They x-rayed by ankle, found I had a cracked bone, so as well as stitching up the wound they put a half plaster caste on it & re-dressed the wound ever day for 3 weeks in out-patients.

All up, got a bill for 300B.

I am 70 years of age and took out a Health policy with CIGNA International (world wide except USA) for £251 per month. That is for £1 million worth of cover. However, this was if I was seriously ill and I would pay £2000 as an upfront payment if I needed treatment.

It suited me at my age/

I like the idea of banking your $8000. Medical costs here are much more reasonable than in the West, and that 8k would go a long way. Most policies either won't take you or else charge you greatly for any pre-existing condition, and make that condition an exclusion in your policy.

But, what do any of us know? All you can do to find out is ask a few agents.

Try BUPA International. Not sure for your age but for a 58 year old for Thailand it is $400 a month but if you go for $8500 deductible its $151 a month for the same coverage. Many years ago when I was about 35 I had $10,000 deductible and it was like $700 a year. Medical services in Thailand, if you go to the right place is cheap in Thailand.

You can try Bupa, but I am uncertain about their maximum age for entry. They are international and much less than $ 8000 pa.

Yes, but their coverage is really unrealistic. Most procedures are only covered partially. Even their better plans are poor. I agree with the comment about accident insurance. Ace insurance offers an xlnt accident policy.

Try BUPA International. Not sure for your age but for a 58 year old for Thailand it is $400 a month but if you go for $8500 deductible its $151 a month for the same coverage. Many years ago when I was about 35 I had $10,000 deductible and it was like $700 a year. Medical services in Thailand, if you go to the right place is cheap in Thailand.

Interesting information

Would you care to elaborate on what constitutes the right place?

Ask your question to a good broker, so you will get independent advice with several options.

A very good point. There's no extra cost.

It must be a broker, though, not a tied agent or bank employee.

Be very careful. Insurance cos give brokers bonus trips/gift if they send business their way.

Ask your question to a good broker, so you will get independent advice with several options.

A very good point. There's no extra cost.

It must be a broker, though, not a tied agent or bank employee.

Be very careful. Insurance cos give brokers bonus trips/gift if they send business their way.

Do you have any examples of that?

A broker will present you with all the alternatives he can offer and help you decide which one best suits your needs.

Having looked at all the recommended website here is a quick brief:

BUPA will only take you if you are under 63 years of age.

NZI sub contracts it's Medical Insurance to InterGlobal.

InsuranceThai appear to be an independent, but did not readily say if they had an age limit - there did not appear to be one, but.............check.

InterGlobal also appears to be an independent insurer and appear to insure for the rest of your life...............but again check by applying.

Remember, more often than not, if you can offer say the first X amount of payment towards your treatment, it could go a good way to reducing the premiums.

Good luck!!thumbsup.gif

I am 69 and spent 4 months looking at every plan I could find. I also spent 20 years in the heath care industry in the U.S.

First, if you are very healthy with no history of heart disease, hypertension, cancer, kkidney or liver problems, a couple of the internationso carriers MIGHT give you a look. Most have an age cutoff of 70.

I ended up getting a high end (by Thai standards) with AIS. I am not sure of age cutoff, but they do not cover you after 80. I pay 6,000 baht a month that includes 1mil baht of live insurance. You do have to be healthy.

I am 69 and spent 4 months looking at every plan I could find. I also spent 20 years in the heath care industry in the U.S.

First, if you are very healthy with no history of heart disease, hypertension, cancer, kkidney or liver problems, a couple of the internationso carriers MIGHT give you a look. Most have an age cutoff of 70.

I ended up getting a high end (by Thai standards) with AIS. I am not sure of age cutoff, but they do not cover you after 80. I pay 6,000 baht a month that includes 1mil baht of live insurance. You do have to be healthy.

LOL, did not know they had expanded their business to insurance.

I like the idea of banking your $8000. Medical costs here are much more reasonable than in the West, and that 8k would go a long way. Most policies either won't take you or else charge you greatly for any pre-existing condition, and make that condition an exclusion in your policy.

But, what do any of us know? All you can do to find out is ask a few agents.

I am 72 end this year and had private insurance in New Zealand since I was 45 I gave it all up when I reached 70 it became so expensive, it is what they do as you are more of a risk, the 8000 a year into a bank is your best bet. Take plenty of vit C every day get the liquid type if you can and CO Q 10

Shame you didn't just save the $8000 premiums for the last 8 years. $64,000 would cover all but the most serious treatments in Thailand.

I know someone who has already paid THB3m for cancer treatment and he hasn't finished yet. Your $8,000 isn't enough, unless, as you suggest, you're not interested in the most serious treatments - you know, the ones for life threatening conditions.