Slow International Internet in Thailand

brucegoniners

Hey everyone!

I know this has come up before here, but I wanted to share my sad story of attempting to get even decent internet here in Bangkok and not even getting close.

For the last year and a half I've had True's "ultra high speed" service, which is cable modem technology. I am paying for 100 mbps and often not even getting 1! I have learned to test by doing downloads and doing the math. Unfortunately sites like speedtest.net just aren't accurate at all. Neither is True's own speed test (of course). This service costs me 5000 baht a month and as you can see, I'm not getting my value.

I also just installed True's DSL service, 10 mbps and it is truly crapola. At times it works better than my cable for iptv, but there is little bandwidth, so none of the other computers work while I'm watching a ballgame.

My goals are to run 2 or 3 computers at a time on our home network and be able to watch MLB and NFL games on the internet, stream Roku channels as well as surf the web. Not too much to ask I think.

The complication appears to be in the international gateway, which we all know is sh*t.

I am looking for something that will allow me to get a usable connection. I'm not looking for miracles here. But maybe a usable connection is a miracle in Thailand, I just don't know. True told me that even their business service, while much more expensive, won't work any better.

If you are an advanced tech wizard maybe you have an answer to this. I'm at the point where money isn't much of an object. I just want this problem to go away and be able to use the web!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you can get dedicated fibre I wouldnt really be too hopeful, the internet companies just keep chasing more and more customers and refuse to add to their servers(profits rule) so the lag gets pretty bad and you dont have a hope in hell of getting top speeds. We pay 600 a month for unlimited downloads at 25mbps but rarely get anywhere near that but do get good speed most of the time, all the providers are very much the same and speed is too so in reality you are being ripped off as you will never get the speed you are paying for, I would go for a cheaper plan that is more realistic with its speed allowance. I am with 3bb but I dont think any are all that better than each other

You should get a good connection to a Bangkok datacenter from either of your connections. The datacenters should have good faster international connections.

So if you can locate a VPN service which has a presence in a Bangkok datacenter you will gain acess to this faster bandwidth by forcing your connection to route via the VPN.

Another thing that might be worth considering as you have two internet connections is a 'bonded' connection whereby both connections are combined into one by an advanced router and traffic is spread over both connections at the same time. I've never done this before but I know it can be done and the routers are availabe to do it with two ADSL connections.

EDIT : If a mod moves this thread over to the internet and technology forum I'm pretty sure one of the guys over there will know all about how to do this in Bangkok

Edited by ukrules

fibre or not, makes absolutely no difference.

The bottleneck is the international connectivity.

And yes, international traffic costs money!

ADSL lines are overbooked / overloaded, the THAI-ISP (all) will limit your bandwidth at peak times (always?).

And it's getting more and more worse every day.

It was ok one, two years ago, but now, since everybody has an Internet-ready smart phone/tablet...annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Let's face it: Internet in TH is just antiquated crap, with or without useless "fibre".

For downloading large static files of between 300MB - 1GB in size (over http) from one of my servers I find that if I use the 'free download manager' ( http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ ) windows program on my 3BB internet connection I can max out my connection speed and download at around 1100 KB/s, a little over 1MB/second. So a 1GB download using 10 simultaneous connections takes about 15 minutes.

This is pretty good but it won't work for live streams as they will only have a single feed.

If I download the same file in the regular web browser I get a speed between 120-150 KB/s, this is obviously the result of a throttled international connection by my ISP as I can get the same speed on multiple connections at the same time.

I've been on to TRUE about their ADSL service to my home. Here's what they said (if you can translate the Thaiglish) . . .

I also asked them (several times) for alternative solutions like cable, but there's been no reponse.

Steve

-----------

In reply to your email, we would like to answer your questions as following;

(a) I understand that TRUE has a "Data Transfer limitation" of 1,350 MB/Hour for the 10 Mbps ADSL service, and 1,755 MB/hour for the 13 Mbps service [information from True Online, but it is in Thai only, as far as I can find].
I would like to watch Internet TV but I'm worried these limitations might throttle the service and make it impossible to watch Internet TV, even with the 13 Mbps connection. I don't know how much bandwidth Internet TV uses.
Would you like to comment on this?
Answer: The rates of data transfer does not effect to home user.

i. Do you guarantee the 10 Mbps (or 13 Mbps) download speed, at least using the TRUE ADSL Speed Test within Thailand?
Answer: We guarantee the speed 80% only local test. For international site, there will be a problem depending on site region. For example : the site is far from you and there are too many hops in the connection between you and the destination sites especially international websites. As we can't guarantee the accessing to international site.

ii) If "Yes" to the first question, what are you going to do if I find the speed drops significantly below the stated service speed?
Answer: You can inform the issue to our representative, they will investigate and solve your problem urgently.

iii) Is there any way of improving the service so I'm not shared with other customers who use up a lot of bandwidth?
Answer: Actually, the package as the information below for the home users only. Thus, we have the data transfer limitation to control about this matter. For the customers who use up a lot of bandwidth (such as Internet Cafe', Business or Enterprise), we have other package and bandwith separate from home user to support them.

Yours Sincerely,

And something else which may be of interest . . .

TRUE sent a tech to test my TRUE telephone line and found there was a "Line Speed" limit of 11.77 Mbps Download and 1.2 Mbps Upload.

So there is no point in my paying for a faster service like 13 Mbps if the limitation is in the phone line.

A friend in the same condo who uses TRUE ADSL can get significantly higher download speeds.

I think you can get an idea of the speed limitation by going in to the Modem-Router settings.

Requests to try to upgrade the TRUE phone line to improve the speed have gone unanswered.

Some years ago TOT offered to upgrade my TOT phone line to digital which I did not do because it involved a change in phone number. I intend to ask TOT again if they can upgrade the line and provide faster Internet ADSL service. I'm probably flogging a dead horse, but unless I try I won't know.

By the way, my interpretation of the last email from TRUE (as above) is that they DO have a "Data Transfer Limitation" as stated in Thai on their web site, but their answer referred to "rates of data transfer" which is not the same thing.

Steve

---------------

Simple rules...If on fibre, you're paying too much...if on ADSL and 20 Mbps or higher, you're paying too much. So, my simple rule is pay no more than an ADSL 16Mbps, I chose this because it gives a higher upload than lower packages. The sooner everyone does this, the sooner the ISPs start losing money, and we all know how they like the baht. As for those on mobile (the mobile networks are crap, even for voice, never mind data) or satellite packages, I feel very sorry for you.

For downloading large static files of between 300MB - 1GB in size (over http) from one of my servers I find that if I use the 'free download manager' ( http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ ) windows program on my 3BB internet connection I can max out my connection speed and download at around 1100 KB/s, a little over 1MB/second. So a 1GB download using 10 simultaneous connections takes about 15 minutes.

This is pretty good but it won't work for live streams as they will only have a single feed.

If I download the same file in the regular web browser I get a speed between 120-150 KB/s, this is obviously the result of a throttled international connection by my ISP as I can get the same speed on multiple connections at the same time.

You're right about ISPs limiting international connects. This in fact, at least for 3BB< is illegal. In their contract they do say it could be limited due to "technical" reasons, the truth is it is an administrative decision. I took this to dept of consumer protection.... still, after 2 emails, waiting on a reply, will not hold my breath.

Back to the 2010 situation for me. 2011 - 2012 was not so bad in term of International bandwidth. Slow degradation all over 2013 but from 3 weeks now, it's become nearly impossible to stream a movie form a foreign server. Youtube, facebook and google still works perfectly since they have mirror servers in asia / thailand. Tested, 3BB, TOT (both dsl and fiber), CAT CDMA, True (cable and 3G) and I have to say they all are the sam except that True was very good 1 year ago and now they are amongst the worst. Somebody told me when I subscribed to True, you will see It's good now but when they will have a lot of customers, the speed will drop. He was right.

The speed tests servers are owned and the results are just a joke, all international trafic is saturated or throttled.

Ofc International data cost money. So why they not sale a special subscription for International users ? I am ready to pay 2500 thb per month for a 15mb garanteed International bandwidth.

Hope it will be better soon.

Used to have 3BB Premier, as that package was the only package I could find in Thailand that was specifically made for International Traffic. Expensive though and not very fast, I think the price is now 2500THB for 5MB connection.

Now I have the Fibre from 3BB, 30MB, no International Bandwidth/Traffic.

Difference being is that the premier package was more stable, ie, always the same speed, but slow and the my new Fibre Optic has true full download speeds on for example torrents, but regular browsing is actually a bit slower than the premier package, which can mostly be noticed during Internet rush-hours. Although overall I am still more happy with the Fibre Optic option.

In short, I would recommend finding a package which is meant for what you want, ie 3BB Premier Package, as this is the only one I know. Perhaps others know of other providers with dedicated packages for International Bandwidth, as I think that the current 5MB might not be enough for your requirements.

Here is the link to the Premier Package http://www.3bb.co.th/promotion/en/9mb.php

3BB Premier 5M / 1M SMEs with heavy usage on international websites, who want to increase usage efficiency. The connection can support 3-4 computers at a tim

So according to them, it suits your needs, but I would check and perhaps even ask if they can give you higher speed, since money is no object anyway.

I've just had a Chat with StrongVPN which they say . . .

"we have no limits on speed but the vpn still depends on your local isp so it will most likely not make your internet faster sorry."
"we do not have servers in Thailand, speed depends mainly on your local isp and route, distance to our servers."
I checked the speed using the StrongVPN test and it came in at 2.33 Mbps Download and 0.265 Mbps Upload to the USA.
Checking with the TRUE ADSL Speed Test gave TRUE came in at 9.5 Mbps Download and 0.79 Mbps Upload (to Thailand), and 9.37 Mbps Download and 0.76 Mbps Upload (to USA).
Are there any VPN providers with servers in Bangkok?
I like the second idea of using 2 Internet providers. I could use TRUE and TOT since I have both phone lines.
Any idea about quality Modem-Routers which have dual capability?

We were with TOT in 2007 then switched to 3BB in 2010 as TOT connectivity (UL/DL & Intl) was crap and the service became woeful. We didn't last a full year with 3BB as they started off good but gradually the speeds etc declined and service was almost non existent.

The we moved closer to the city and found TOT was already connected. The speeds were so low we couldn't even do a video call as the signal would drop. DL speed was around 3.5mps and UL was around 0.3mpbs. To make it worse, the international ping rate was up and down like a yo yo. Best was around 360ms but would jump up to 1200 to 2000 within any given minute. It was erratic to say the least.

Knowing that CAT hold the control for the International gateway we inquired to hook up with them and they said yes as we were on the Chiangmai city grid.

Waited for a month for it to be connected but man what a difference.

DL is between 15 and 20mbps and upload is about 3 to 5 mps which is awesome. Ping rate to US, UK, EU are now between 220ms and 330ms which although not good by international standards is still good enough for anything we need including video calls etc.

We pay around 3 times the previous rates we had with TOT nut figure its worth it for a good service.

I've just had a Chat with StrongVPN which they say . . .

"we have no limits on speed but the vpn still depends on your local isp so it will most likely not make your internet faster sorry."
"we do not have servers in Thailand, speed depends mainly on your local isp and route, distance to our servers."
I checked the speed using the StrongVPN test and it came in at 2.33 Mbps Download and 0.265 Mbps Upload to the USA.
Checking with the TRUE ADSL Speed Test gave TRUE came in at 9.5 Mbps Download and 0.79 Mbps Upload (to Thailand), and 9.37 Mbps Download and 0.76 Mbps Upload (to USA).
Are there any VPN providers with servers in Bangkok?
I like the second idea of using 2 Internet providers. I could use TRUE and TOT since I have both phone lines.
Any idea about quality Modem-Routers which have dual capability?

check to see if TP-Link have one, we recently had a problem with our TP-Link modem router(several years old) and they replaced it on the spot as they have a life time warranty, couldnt believe how efficient their service centre was, tested the old one then just got out a new one and set it up for us, best service I have come across in Thailand so if they make one, get TP-Link.

CAT...DL is between 15 and 20mbps and upload is about 3 to 5 mps which is awesome. Ping rate to US, UK, EU are now between 220ms and 330ms which although not good by international standards is still good enough for anything we need including video calls etc.

We pay around 3 times the previous rates we had with TOT nut figure its worth it for a good service.

How much is CAT connectivity costing you?

Sent from an Apple gadget.

I was going to bring this up. I've been here for almost 1 month now and extensively tested my internet speed in different situations. What I found out is that some international links are throttled and some not. For example when I download a file from a server in Netherlands I get a bit lower than full speed (which is 5 mbps in my case) but when I try downloading a file from another server in another country it's limited to 1 mbps. Now when I download this file on a VPN connection I get much higher speeds than 1 mbps. So it's definitely limited by the ISP.

Now the funny story is that I once ordered a trial VPS service in a major datacenter in Bangkok and ran an international download on it. Guess what! It was limited to 1 mbsp! Now when internet in a datacenter is throttled like that, we can't expect anything better. Let's just hope that everything gets better.

But for now IMO the only thing you can do is to get yourself a VPN account. But test the server speed on your ISP before actually buying a long-term account.

Different websites will have different downloading speeds. It mostly depends on where that specific website you are visiting, is hosted and if that hosting facility has good peering agreements with providers which have a good connection to Thailand.

Meaning, that a website hosted on server X in New York, New York, USA might have great download speeds and another website hosted also in New York, New York, USA but on server Y in a different datacenter with no or less good peering agreements, will have horrible download speeds.

CAT...DL is between 15 and 20mbps and upload is about 3 to 5 mps which is awesome. Ping rate to US, UK, EU are now between 220ms and 330ms which although not good by international standards is still good enough for anything we need including video calls etc.

How much is CAT connectivity costing you?

Sent from an Apple gadget.

About 1,800bht per month. That was the cheapest package. The rep recommended a 3,000bht pkge per month with even better performance but we decided to go with their basic at first to see how it performed,.. and so far its certainly been great!

Sorry for your bad luck, but I have excellent and reliable True internet 10M service and only pay 1389 baht per month. I often stream or download movies and TV shows and only occasionally have a problem. I assume it's your location ... i.e., a high-use area. However, I'm located on Suk. Soi 10 so I'm in a concentrated population area.

fibre or not, makes absolutely no difference.

The bottleneck is the international connectivity.

And yes, international traffic costs money!

ADSL lines are overbooked / overloaded, the THAI-ISP (all) will limit your bandwidth at peak times (always?).

And it's getting more and more worse every day.

It was ok one, two years ago, but now, since everybody has an Internet-ready smart phone/tablet...annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Let's face it: Internet in TH is just antiquated crap, with or without useless "fibre".

That's not my experience at all. I have excellent service and I do mostly international net connections.

I am in din daeng district and using the cheapest true ADSL (I believe 600 baht) since 1 year ago. The international connections have been just fine for the first 10 months or so, but somewhere around last month or the end of the previous they just collapsed. Now I am no even able to steam aljazeera or other TV broadcasts from Europe. YouTube, however runs OK except when using live street.

That's not my experience at all. I have excellent service and I do mostly international net connections.

have you ever tried LIVE video streaming from Europe?

Even Youtube sucks many times.

Download speed is throttled at ~1Mbit per feed. (A download manager gives better results....sometimes)

I use a virtual server in Singapore as "relay" for streaming, VPN and Proxy.

Not ideal, but much better.

a VPN might help - not so much on the speed, but on the reliability.

I've had several occasions where on my PC that's not using the VPN, a website will simply not come up. But if I use the work PC (using the same internet connection, but which connects to the office VPN in Hong Kong, the website works fine...)

i.e. The encrypted connection isn't being mucked around with by True's servers, so your internet browsing is as if you were outside Thailand.

Obviously - connecting through the office though, there are limits to what I connect to so for non-work stuff, I tend to only use the VPN connection when the website simply doesn't work in Thailand. It's not a complete solution as the office blocks things like facebook, youtube and gmail, but that's because I'm supposed to be working...

I pay quite a bit for my 1Mbps connection though - the person suggesting paying 2,500 for 15Mb is underestimating how much businesses pay for "proper" internet - so don't seem to be limited on the International access - my problem is distance to the exchange means my ADSL speed is pitiful, even within Thailand.