Nationwide Launch Of Bicycle Lanes

george

Wasn't it ACM Kongsak who wanted to buy the gas guzzling Russian jets for the Thai airforce?

The way he and Thaksin were pushing for them a cynic might suspect a wee bit of commission may have been forthcoming. :o

We have had a "computer for every school" then a "Buffalo for every farmer" now it will be a "treadly for everyone"

Anyone might think the government was into populist, slogan like policies. Heaven forbid.

Why not just bring back the Khwian and buffalo. Then all those free buffalos can be put to good use.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Farang,

Let's give the Thai government a break. It's without a shadow of a doubt a great idea. Too hot for farang ? Sorry you are in the wrong country, go back home without going through jail hahhaa. I would recommend government officials to take a look at the Netherlands, on how they did it and were succesfull. I believe this is a great idea, and guess what, it could work even in Bangkok. This, understand, will be excepted for all services related businesses, but all others should not have a problem. How ? Drive to BTS, create car security parking, take BTS, take bike at BTS stop station to your office, create bike security parking. Make bycycle lanes (FAST). Next step would be same as Singapore, to implement toll gates to enter town during business hours, with taxis excepted. Impossible no, Easy to implement no, a real chalenge, but not imposible. Just make sure rules are implemented and followed up properly. and again this is NOT difficult to do. It is just the power of the mind, the desire to suceed.

Wish the government the best of luck, Great idea !!!! :o

For your information, there's actually a very successful bike lane in Bangkok, that's the Green Lane, starts from Lumphini Park and ends at the Queen's Convention Hall (about 2km). Passing through some residence (some people playing badminton there... but it's still a very nice ride!).

One of the reasons why the Green Lane (it's really green in color) was so successful for bikes only, because it's built on a flyover, if you want to ride it, you have to put your bicycle up the staircase first, some more advanced cyclists could ride up and down all the way but not for other motorcyclists or hawkers.

But is the government trying to build a flyover all the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai just for bikes??? I guess they wouldn't have the budget.

A few years ago the government built some bike lanes across Bangkok, it was a big joke, and you know right outside the Ta Prom Brahma Statue is actually a bike lane? I mean the street which is full of hawkers selling flowers and incense.

There's another bike lane near Rama III Road (near the Tesco and Central), I saw motorcycles going through all the time, I went there a few times and I never gave way in this situation, shouted "This is the way for bicycles only!" They just smiled and let me go first.

If anyone's gonna manage to do it, it'll be Lamphun. They seem to have an active bike culture down there, and I was pleased to see their annual bike festival, promoting the use of bicycles within the town.

So, I'm that crazy farang who has a mountain bike and cycles round Chiang Mai (as my main mode of transport). Which actually isn't so bad on account the city being relatively small and me relatively young. And at times when the weather is cool it is actually rather enjoyable.

I've started to see more and more cyclists in Chiang Mai - both Thai and farang (not so much now actually, it really is HOT). But I think it's catching on slowly.

However, I'd imagine though that if cycle lanes were put into the roads, they'd become motorcycle lanes and still wouldn't really help the cyclist. No, really, I think the only thing that is going to help the situation is for cyclists to feel more safe on the roads. And that comes down to better education for Thailand's drivers, and the same courtesy that is extended in real life to manifest itself on Thailand's roads. Pipe dream? Perhaps, but I remain optimistic.

There have been times when I've had near accidents because some 4x4 hasn't watched where he's going... or a crazy farang driver not used to driving here causing mayhem for other drivers. Not to mention the Thai girl chatting to her friend and not keeping her eye on the road. When I cycle round Chiang Mai, I have to take a very defensive stance in terms of my riding, even more so than if I was cycling in London.

Cycling can be a great way of getting round Thailand's smaller cities if you take as many precautions as possible (helmet, lights, reflectors, proper footwear, etc) and learn to understand how Thais drive.

As much as I don't want to say it, regarding Bangkok - driving there to me seems absolutely inhospitable. There's no way you'd catch me cycling in that city!

But really, if the government was THAT interested in saving oil and halting pollution, they'd start by inspecting existing vehicles on the road via emissions tests and force drivers to properly service their engines to make them more fuel efficient. Then ban vehicles gas-wasting vehicles for personal use above a certain level. It seems Thailand's got a lot of inroads to make with existing vehicles before it starts getting into cycling schemes, as much as us cyclists appreciate this gesture from the government.

Rich

Bicycle lanes in many parts of the United States are no more than painted while lines on major surface streets and neighborhoods. Problem is , even the United States where drivers are a bit more cautious, cyclist don't feel save riding so close to fast moving traffic or along streets where people are likely to step out of their cars and smack into you.

The only bicyle lane that works here are separate dedicated bike paths that can only be accessed by bicycles. These lanes do not necessarily parallel surfaces streets and they only get used by bikes and pedestrians.

I think that building a bike path right alongside major streets in Thailand will only get used by motorist looking for an extra lane or a place to park...or businesses looking for a place to set up a noodle stand or place signage.

Edited by egeefay

I also would like to see what benefit to health someone would gain by biking in BKK...or other Cities in LOS .

Looking further, i rather sit in a Car and be cut of by a reckless driver who never made a drivers licence than on a Bicycle.

rcm :o

In all honesty, if you can not keep cars off the sidewalks, then how in the dickens can you keep them out of bike lanes? We all know how well one-way roads work in LOS :D

Interior Ministry to encourage people to bike

BANGKOK: -- In the face of rising petrol price, the Interior Ministry is going to encourage people to turn to bicycles.

Caretaker ACM Kongsak Wantana Friday said he would convene a meeting on Monday April 24 to discuss how to implement the idea. He said he was hoping to launch bicycle lanes in every province across the country.

Commuters, especially government officials, will be encouraged to ride bicycles for good health and energy saving.

--The Nation 2006-04-21

ahh...sounds like our beloved toxin is still calling the shots....

nothing has changed

Great idea. Wrong country.

I found that the only way to drive safely here is to give up attachment to such notions as lanes. :D

cv

Right; lanes? Bike lanes will be vendor cart sites and motorcycle taxi lanes. Bicycles are at the bottom of the pecking order. How do I know? I rode a bicycle around bicycle to work for a long time. It's quick and efficient, but hot and a wee bit dangerous if you don't have your wits about you and one eye up front and the other glued to the back of your head.

:o

M I C...K E Y....M O U S E.. lets all sing together that tune we all learned as kids...this is so funny!

I have been hit so many times by bad drivers and all are usually women on motorcycles..

OK I will at least give this guy credit, he is trying.

Most of the talk seems to be about Bangkok, does anyone travel the Issan roads, the major highways all have motorcycle lanes, do they work, sort of. Until a truck or bus decides that they want to drive there. Then the motorcyclist is faced with a problems now he needs to get into the normal flow of traffic, going 40KMS faster then he is.

Traffic going to slow and let him, not hardly he will be a hood arnamate if not careful. So we make them bike lane, now traffic is flowing even faster around him. Mr. auto motorist decides it's time to rest where does he park in the lane.

Here in Udon I hate driving my pickup, it's just to dangerous, in most of the older areas of town the roads are very narrow. In the city, hey ! no parking area no problem just leave your car in the road and let everyone else worry about it.

Actually I would fnd in fun to ride a bicycle when the heat index is not 110 degrees. Used to to do it all the time in America as a hobby and really enjoyed it, in real bike lanes.

Can they solve all these problem here maybe, double parkers could have cars towed, certain area of the downtown area could be declared non motor vehilce area's IE walking street at night. It can be done, but it wouldn't be easy. In th three years that I have been here in Udon six days a week they have sit up check points to fine people who are not wearing helemts. They still do it today and they still issue citations to people not wearing helmets. Now you would think that after three years the light would go on and people would wear helmets. But the tea money business is still booming.

So now I am to use a bicycle and getting even lower down on the food chain and get out in traffic. :o

Let see now :D

I'm selling my three motorcycles and my pickup and ordering two canoes :D

The Thai driver generally thinks when he places Buddhist amulets on the dashboard or hangs them from the mirror he is then magically transported into a realm where he is immortal and immune from crashing and death.

I caught a bus from Nakhon Sri Thammarart to Phuket last year and another bus from Trang sneaked in front of our bus and was picking up passengers our driver obviously thought were his.

That instigated a race to Krabi where our driver drove like a total maniac trying to overtake the guy from Trang who was not keen to give up the lead. We were in a big blue air con bus and nearly rear-ended the other smaller bus many times. We got so close it must have been inches at times. Our bus had numerous images of revered monks and Buddha on the dashboard so our driver obviously felt he had some form of divine protection.

The driver's eyes were so dialated and glassy he looked like he had 10 yaa baa pills in his system. Apart from nearly rear ending the other bus 10 times we almost had a head on crash about another 20 times and this clown ran cars off the other side of the road.

The most annoying thing was when we reached Phang-nga we lost the other bus and he then slowed down so much it was ridiculous. He obviously couldn't turn up in Phuket too ahead of time as the boss would have known he was speeding excessively. I clocked him at 140km, he then slowed to 60km. If it was in Australia he would have been dragged from the bus and given a good flogging.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing is the way Thai passengers passively sit there mumbling under their breath while some drug fueled idiot in endangering them and their children's lives.

I would never ever ride a push bike at night in Thailand on a main road. At least on a motorbike you are lit up. For inner city areas and tourist areas I see it as a great idea. Getting rid of all the cars except emergency and commercial vehicles would be a start. It will never happen of course.

Just motorbikes and pushies would make a vast difference to the quality of air for a start. I have not set foot in Bangkok for over 15 years due to the smog and congestion.

The problem with the pushie in Thailand is the status factor. Get some rock star or some lifter like Bird Thongchai riding one and it might become popular. If Mercedes or BMW put out a push bike we have some success in promoting it.

What is wrong with Shanks Pony anyway? A good walk never hurt anyone. :o

About six months ago, there was some bike lanes painted on the pavement at chong nonsi BTS Station.

What they did was paint these lines in the middle of the pavements, not to the left, not to the right of the pavement but smack bang in the middle.

Does anybody in this City have a clue about what they are doing?

Something has to be done to stop the reliance on cars.

Apart from the fuel cost, there is also the traffic congestion problems - to keep building new roads is not a proper solution.

Cycling is a great activity, however the tracks need to be dedicated cycle tracks not just a lane marked on the road.

The best cycle paths are those that are separated from main roads, and follow rivers/canals or train tracks.

Might be too hard in bkk, but it is worth striving for, especially in provincial cities & towns.

I also think that mountain bikes would be a great way of getting around in many country areas where there are thin dirt road/paths between rice fields etc.

As far as the heat goes, you are going to get hot & sweaty as soon as you get out of a car anyway.

The solution to the energy crisis is not having more bike lanes. It is doing something about it and hopping onto your bike and just get on with it. It will take years to have bike lanes installed. When they have been established, motorcycles will overrun the bike lanes. So who are they joking.

I lived in bangkok for 7 years. First 3 years, I drove my car to the office. After having two collisions, I got rid of the car and started biking. My normal communiting time of 1 hour and 15 minutes was cut down to 25 minutes when I started biking.

Problem was that my lungs taking a beating :o . Had to get a heavy-duty dust filter with activated carbon elements to clean the air :D .

It was fun overtaking Benz's, Volvos, BMWs and other fancy cars stuck in traffic.

It would be an advantage if you could take a shower at the office. So I wasn't really bothered if it was raining by the bucket or if I was sweating in the searing heat.

By the way, I now live in Chiang Rai where the air is much cleaner and the weather cooler (during the winter months). I still commute by bicycle and make about 20 kms per day.

Now if only it would do something to my waistline... :o

The cons far outweigh the pros in this dreamy vision, IMHO.

What good is it saving time if you're no better off than a motorbike in a chaotic traffic and safety environment?

The officials really should do more research and planning before making their dreams public.

Whatever is it, just give it a try... it will still safe some energy .....

yes let all safe some energy. Not talking about nasa but it's so easy to tell the newbies who haven't a clue with there give it a chance attitude.

You give so many pathetic ideas a chance here and lose so much at it that it's normal to get a bit jaded toward more stupid hub clown ideas from people who just want screw people over who never lived in the real world only fake fake show show poor person thinking. It's like the blacks showing gold because they come from so poor pretending they are not poor. If they were really rich or even comfortable they woul not need to show like that.

I see gold in thailand and i know they feel poor inside.

I ride my bike almost everyday even though I also have a pick-up and a chopper. I love it. Part of the reason I rented my house at the southern end of Phuket Island is because of the great bike lane that ran along the main road and was seperated by a deep ditch that kept the motorbikes and cars off of it. But just in the last two weeks they have torn it all up to widen the road. Oh well!

What did Thais use for transportation before they all had motorbikes? Probably bicycles. I have often thought how much nicer, safer, quieter and cleaner places like Pattaya and Patong Beach would be if everybody had to ride bikes or use rickshaw taxis. But that's dreaming. Reality is Thai's will never go back to bikes now that they have had a taste of just twisting a throttle.

Thai's driving on the wrong side of the road at night with no lights on drives me crazy, but other than that [ I hear laughter !], they are not as crazy or aggressive as the hot head Latins back in Miami, USA, or the Romans, or the Brazilians in Rio where I used to live. I have often wondered what driving would be like back in "farangland" if the police suddenly announced they would no longer give out traffic tickets for moving violations or drunk driving as is essentially the case here in Thailand. After you figure that into the equation, maybe Thais are not such bad drivers after all. Any comments?

Firstly we are talking about a Thai minister, and they rarely go anywhere except Bangkok!! :D

Furthermore, nowhere did I see any mention that bicycle lanes where going to be on existiing roads. Maybe it would have been better to say cycle paths, if that is what they are intending.

Where precisely do you think these "cycle paths" could be routed?

Over, under or in the klongs, perhaps. :o:D

It also gives the impression that farangs consider themselves so much cleverer than Thai people.

:o oh but WE ARE

bike paths, pssht, ngoh jing jing

Yes in the UK the local authorities made a wondrous contribution to encourage cycling by sticking signs on lamposts - blue with a cycle motif if I remember correctly - telling you it was 10miles to wherever - very clever.

But hang-on it's easy to be cynical about another country's attempt to do something to avert a future crisis - I don't see too many alternative suggestions in here. I imagine car-sharing was considered but if a vehicle is viewed as a status symbol or fashion accessory I wouldn't see any great desire to share even more so if it was viewed as a penis extension.

So instead of knocking lets hear some cleverer alternatives.

I'll might be a couple days late but will say it again, good idea but such a joke, a big joke. Maybe walking lanes first to actualise? Nothing to block walking lanes, let's widen problematic areas as Sukhumvit by few lanes too as for motorized trafic that is. Bicyles are a good idea defenitely and will be. This idea is a lot farther than Thailand being a developed country. One word. Unbelievable again. Won't even comment on other parts of the country.

I have ridden in BKK and it was "interesting". Mainly as a farang just wanting to get from A to B without dealing with the traffic crawl. Biking in the countryside is quite nice and a great way to see Thailand, when it is not flying by at 120 Kph.

One pain in BKK is that while you can take you bike on the BTS to rapidly go from one point to another; you can not do the same on the subway. It would be great if you could say, hop on train at a stop and go to a remote destination and be able to ride there and return home easily, the same on he subway as on the BTS.

Another point I found is that many parks do not allow push bikes inside. While Lumpani is very bike friendly, the Queen's Park @ Emporium Mall or Jut-u-jahk Park is definitely not. Try to bike in there and you will have some smiling civil servant putting his open palm in your face.

Another pain I found was trying to transport your bike on a Bus in Thailand. I once tried to go from BKK to Rayong with my bike, broke it down for easy packing in the under storage and had the gruff packer at the Bus Station demand I slip him another 100 baht for the honor of placing my bike in there, all the while load after load of Thai passengers placed the month's worth of big city purchases in their bundles for shipping home to the family. I smiled and stood my ground and eventually got things straightened out. But It was a pain and I really did not appreciate the experience.

I agree though, flying down a major roadway in BKK and seeing all the BMW and Mercedes passenger watch you leave them behind in traffic is a joy.

Always were a helmet, always have at least some sort of marker lights.

- Ahnan

Is this the same dude who advocated RACING lanes for the teen Motorcycle idiots..

Let's see: Thais can wait in a line... Thai drivers can pass a cars on a curve.. Thai drivers when passing a slower car, can come in the opposite lane while the approaching car has the right of way (yeah right), And THRILL THE Approaching Drivers and passengers... Thais.... can follow directives, rules, and guideslines and alway respond in Thai Style.. Lastly Thai motorcycle drivers know the difference between a motorcycle lane and bicycle lane.. However this behavior.. applies to everyone...

This AIN"T China or Europe.. where the concept of bike transportation is accepted and practiced.

The focus: A radical change in transportation needs, alternative fuels, and STAY the UCK HOME.

YADA YADA...

OK you lot.....here's a road safey question for you all and it relates to bicycles.

You are driving along a narrow two lane road with a NO PASSING sign posted, and come upon a bicycle rider. Do you follow this slow-moving bicycle rider for the next 2 miles, or do you break the law and pass?

Which is the correct choice?

post-3503-1145791549_thumb.jpg

After all, why take unnecessary risks?

Theres obviously a big problem with the current traffic system at present. Personally i think one of the problems is people are to quick to dismiss an idea. It may be completely ludicrous but if peoples opinions don't change then things will never improve.

I know that was a load of b*ll*x but i had to say something.

Edited by BlimeyCharlie

The fact of the matter is, it is quicker to walk in Bangkok than try to get anywhere in peak hour time. I remember sitting on a bus for an hour near Lumpini and we only managed to move about 500 metres.

I got out and walked. I got to where I was going in about 15 minutes. If I'd stayed on the bus it would have taken another 2 hours the way it was moving. The problem with walking and biking is the smog and pollution factor.

It all comes down to quality of life. I have a friend who migrated to Australia. He worked in Banking and his wife was a Bank accountant. He was making big money in Bangkok but felt life was not worth living there as he had to commute 2 hours to and from work everyday.

The same journey in Australia would take him 30 minutes at tops. He said he would rather do some shitty job in a good environment than do a good job in a shitty environment.

The rich ruling elite don't care as they live such pampered lives they have no idea of how the poor 9-5er fares in daily life. Nobody is going to ride a bike in conditions that are harmful to the health. What would be the point.

The King was wise in suggesting a move to alternative fuels if possible. Our dependence on oil for our cars has made us all slaves. Everything like electrical goods and many other consumer products have come down in price in the last few years.

Someone farts in the middle east and they jack up the price of petrol. If we had any brains we would all buy a bike and ride it for a few weeks. The oil price would come down in record time.

We are all so divided and selfish we could never do it. Bush and co make sure people are totally afraid, totally unorganised and totally distracted they can't get organsied. They plunder while we slumber. Thaksin has learnt well how to play these games. :o

A bike in Thailand costs 1000-2000 baht for a cheap mountain bike. I would guess not much more than one tank of petrol at present.

post-13260-1145803385_thumb.jpg

Hi there.

I think promoting the use of bicycles is a great idea...... if only there was space to actually do so? In my country bicycle lanes are available in many cities and even where not, riding a bicycle even on a main road is quite safe due to very strict driver education and the fact that bicycles are given many advantages over cars in traffic (for example, using one-way streets in the other direction, etc).

However in the chaos on Bangkok's rtoads, this is a non-starter., As many have pointed out already, there is no space for additional bicycle l;anes, so they would have be to take from one of the traffic lanes or, worse, from the footpath. If taken from a traffic lane, no driver behind the wheel of a car would care and just use the space. Motorbikes for sure as well, but they anyway use whatever space is available.

If taken from the footparh, you'd have to zigzag around foodstalls, phone booths, electricity poles and the odd pedestrian who of course wouldn't care for the bicyle lane either. And you need to dodge those potholes that are known to swallow people.

I have my own experience bicycling in BAngkok - with good ambitions i bought one of those city bikes with the basket in front, had an extra long seatpost mounted (i'm almost 2 m tall) and tested it out - for a full two days. No gear shifter on the bike - ok, not necessary in practically flat Bangkok but my max speed was about the max speed of the average bus. With the result that i was constantly stuck behind those! Couldn't pass right - suicide. Couldn't pass left - passengers getting on and off. I had to stop behind the bus at bus stops, and between them i was conctantly in a black exhaust cloud. I arrived home black as the wheels on my bike. Next day, another "test run", same result. I gave the bicycle to my boyfriend's mum who has a better use for it in Chiang Mai, and stuck to my car. Since a few months now i have finally a motorbike too, which cut my commute time by about 90% and my weekly gas bill from about 1.200 Baht down to 200 Baht.

But if some day bicycling in Bangkok is safely possible, i will get another of those city bikes and try again. I love bicycling! And figure a tall guy like me on one of those cute Bowdangs.... many thais had eyes like dishes when seing me during my two runs :o

Happy biking.....

your Thanh