Roadside assistance

dogpoo

If you have a Honda, they give you booklet with numbers of Honda dealers you can call in every province, and they will come out and provide roadside assistance. That's what the Honda dealer told m. Never needed or tried it yet though

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a Honda, they give you booklet with numbers of Honda dealers you can call in every province, and they will come out and provide roadside assistance. That's what the Honda dealer told m. Never needed or tried it yet though

Provided you can speak Thai!! I very much doubt Honda dealers in the back of beyond will be able to speak English!!

I understand the CWC can register your mobile phone and use that to locate you in the event you need to get service. This will save a lot of language problems.

I was wondering about that, I will find out tomorrow and hopefully take out a yearly cover!

Been looking for something similar myself and many thanks for the link, but it appears after perusing their website the policy's not worth a w--k.Let me quote from their website.

Benefits & Privileges for Regular Members:-

Free unlimited towing services for a period of 1 year within 15 kms. An additional 20 baht/kms. will apply beyond 15 kms.

Benefits & Privileges for VIP Members:-

Free unlimited towing services for a period of 1 year within 30 kms. An additional 20 baht/kms. will apply beyond 30 kms.

So if for example like myself you like to ride all over the country,if you were living in Chiang Mai and was to break down in say Surat Thani thats an approximate distance of 1335 Kilometers.The company if you're a regular member most generously allows you 15km's free towing and if you're a VIP member they allow you a whopping 30km's,then it's 20 baht each extra km.This calculates at best(VIP MEMBER) to 26,100 Baht and that's on top of your annual membership fee.

At that rate you wouldn't want to breakdown far away from home too often.

I know this is Thailand but it's hardly,Green flag, the AA or the RAC.

Just happens that I needed roadside assistance after a pothole incident yesterday. I am always using some kind of yellow pages number in Thailand you tell them where u are and what u need and they will forward you to the nearest. In this case a toe truck service. Number is 1113.

Been looking for something similar myself and many thanks for the link, but it appears after perusing their website the policy's not worth a w--k.Let me quote from their website.

Free unlimited towing services for a period of 1 year within 15 kms. An additional 20 baht/kms. will apply beyond 15 kms.

Free unlimited towing services for a period of 1 year within 30 kms. An additional 20 baht/kms. will apply beyond 30 kms.

So if for example like myself you like to ride all over the country,if you were living in Chiang Mai and was to break down in say Surat Thani thats an approximate distance of 1335 Kilometers.The company if you're a regular member most generously allows you 15km's free towing and if you're a VIP member they allow you a whopping 30km's,then it's 20 baht each extra km.This calculates at best(VIP MEMBER) to 26,100 Baht and that's on top of your annual membership fee.

Have a look here.... RAC covers 10 miles.....at a much much higher cost.

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/?vehicleCover=true&recovery=true

maybe have to put the criticism on a UK forum?

Edited by harrry

We are talking motorbikes here as this is the bike forum, no towing necessary for a motorbike! Wherever you break down you would be taken to the nearest dealer which would not be all that far, if you want to be taken back to where you came from then of course it is going to cost lots of ฿ same in any country, for me it's peace of mind should a puncture occur, as I said before never had one but it's always possible on poor Thai roads!

Just happens that I needed roadside assistance after a pothole incident yesterday. I am always using some kind of yellow pages number in Thailand you tell them where u are and what u need and they will forward you to the nearest. In this case a toe truck service. Number is 1113.

Again this is fine if you are fluent in Thai!!

Have a look here.... RAC covers 10 miles.....at a much much higher cost.

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/?vehicleCover=true&recovery=true

maybe have to put the criticism on a UK forum?

Recovery

We'll take you, up to 7 passengers and your car to your chosen destination anywhere in mainland UK.

After having a puncture in the middle of the desert, I used to carry 2 tire spoons, a spare front tube (can be used for the rear), a patch kit and CO2 (although I now carry a mtb tire pump).

Find a shady spot, relax, remove tire and repair, replace tire... on the way in 30 min or less.

Super easy on a scooter, a bit more work the bigger the bike.

After having a puncture in the middle of the desert, I used to carry 2 tire spoons, a spare front tube (can be used for the rear), a patch kit and CO2 (although I now carry a mtb tire pump).

Find a shady spot, relax, remove tire and repair, replace tire... on the way in 30 min or less.

You found a shady spot in the middle of the dessert?

Well it was shady when the vulture spread its wings.

What has your posts got to do with the roadside assistance?

About the same as yours.

About the same as yours.

My posts are all about roadside assistance as that is what the thread is about, if you want to post try and be constructive which might help other people!

Provided you can speak Thai!! I very much doubt Honda dealers in the back of beyond will be able to speak English!!

Dogpoo,

Can you draw a picture? Have you ever been to a pantomime? It is not difficult to find a friendly pick up driver anywhere in Thailand?

Best way to avoid this is to do what Scuba divers do and always ride with a, or more, buddy(ies). If you must travel alone at least get a piece of paper and have a Thai write on it something akin to "My motorcycle is broken and I need help to take it to a motorbike repair shop".

• Like 1

Dogpoo,

Can you draw a picture? Have you ever been to a pantomime? It is not difficult to find a friendly pick up driver anywhere in Thailand?

Best way to avoid this is to do what Scuba divers do and always ride with a, or more, buddy(ies). If you must travel alone at least get a piece of paper and have a Thai write on it something akin to "My motorcycle is broken and I need help to take it to a motorbike repair shop".

No thanks I would rather have roadside assistance!! hopefully sorted out now!

Thanks for the suggestion, how will this piece of paper with the Thai words help me etc written on it going to help me at let's say 2am and it is lashing down with rain! How many people do you think will be stopping, how uncomfortable would it be sitting in a pick-up truck with ma ma and the 4 kids screening, That's not for me!!

Thanks for the suggestion, how will this piece of paper with the Thai words help me etc written on it going to help me at let's say 2am and it is lashing down with rain! How many people do you think will be stopping, how uncomfortable would it be sitting in a pick-up truck with ma ma and the 4 kids screening, That's not for me!!

Also how uncomfortable would it be not knowing if you are actually being taken to a motorbike dealer, I am thinking in this country a dangerous thing to be doing, ill stick with the roadside assistance once it's sorted out!

But don't be suprised if the roadside assistant is a non english speaking thai, maybe with his wife and kids on board, maybe with ... who knows, TiT. If you show him such paper he can at least say "OK" Posted Image

Surely the most important thing is that the operator speaks English, if it's a flat tire there would be no need for any talking to the person who shows up! if I point to the tire he can also say ok, if there is a problem with the engine(unlikely, he would already know that!

Thanks I understand some people would rather sort out problems for themselves, I have just talked to the very nice girl at Alliance who provide the roadside assistance, there people who attend breakdowns etc speak English, now it's all down to whether you believe her, it's good enough for me, at 2250฿ per year it's cheap enough to give me peace of mind!

Okay I give up!! 21st century and this major roadside assistance company have no way of finding you other than you talking to local people, try doing that in many parts of this country where the only thing you might be able to find is a buffalo!! Plan B worry about it when it happens!!

Okay I give up!! 21st century and this major roadside assistance company have no way of finding you other than you talking to local people, try doing that in many parts of this country where the only thing you might be able to find is a buffalo!! Plan B worry about it when it happens!!

CWC with a prearanged form can send someone to the location of your mobile phone.