Vujicic brings his message of hope and joy to Thailand

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Vujicic brings his message of hope and joy to Thailand
Veenarat Laohapakakul
The Sunday Nation

30214860-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Born without arms or legs, motivational speaker and author Nick Vujicic is filled with energy to further inspire people across the world.

Now, about 1.3 billion people know about his story, up sharply from December 4, 2010, when he was on TV and seen by 270 million people in all of Latin America. His goal is 7 billion.

"We are just thankful that governments around the world can use me as a source of inspiration for teenagers, for the disabled and special integration into the mainstream school systems," he said during an interview in Bangkok earlier this month.

Vujicic, 31, was not born a happy person. The Serbian-Australian evangelist and motivational speaker was born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of all four limbs. As a child, he struggled mentally and emotionally as well as physically. He was treated as a normal child, disciplined and encouraged to do his chores like fixing his bed, cleaning his room and vacuuming the house.

At 10, he wanted to commit suicide but aborted the decision for fear of leaving his parents with guilt or shame. His parents made his home a safe refuge, where he could always return for love, acceptance or encouragement.

"Maybe they would have said to themselves that they should have done more. They did nothing but love me so they didn't deserve that pain. That's why I decided to stay," he said.

He is determined to pass the same thing to his children, with the plan to spend quality time with them to show his love despite his busy schedules. He wants to reach the world, but he needs a balance. His first priority is having time in prayer, in devotion, and meditation. The second is his family "to make sure that I am an excellent husband more than an excellent speaker and an excellent father more than an excellent provider".

To people who are down, Vujicic encourages them to think about joy.

"I think joy is what we are looking for. Joy is more than happiness. Happiness is at times temporary, but joy is something you could hold on to. Joy even when you are crying. There's a deeper joy that it's so deep that it can't come out of the emotion at that time. It's joy that you could hold on to. It's joy that says okay, if Nick can do it, then I can do it."

He noted that hope helps him have a positive attitude.

"Some people say the way to find hope is to have a positive attitude. Totally wrong. If someone is dying of cancer and they do not know where they are going after this life, how can they have a positive attitude. Because I know where I am going and because I know who I am, even death itself doesn't scare me. I want people to know that once you have hope, then you have the automatic fruit of peace and rest and it's not that I was trying harder to think more positive, it's me knowing that every day is an opportunity to spread the seed of love."

His story has inspired many around the world including in Thailand. Well, Vujicic said others also inspire him.

In Thailand, he was inspired by do-gooders that he intends to - over the next five years - develop an army of 10 million people who would give one dollar a month, so that he could donate the money to the people. He hopes he can one day come back to Thailand and give away some big cheques for the good of this nation.

But his true inspiration came from Philip Toth in San Diego, California, who at 22 started getting symptoms of a disease and it took 12 months before they diagnosed that he had ALS. He experienced torture muscle by muscle, organ by organ, nerve by nerve, his body slowly and painfully shut down.

"But he wasn't sad, or feeling sorry for himself. And doctors gave him three months to live. He actually lived for five years. I met him two years before he died and I saw him and his smile. He couldn't walk, couldn't talk. He could still use his head and with laser technology he started a website. I realised if this guy can't walk, can't talk and he touches hundreds of people, what am I doing. That was 11 years ago and that was the year I started speaking."

Life can be miserable, he said. But people can change that by setting small goals and moving one day at a time in the eventual journey. His parents told him "do your best and God will do the rest. That helps me a lot".

He has faith that no person is a mistake and that they are wonderfully and fearfully made to encourage and love others, the conviction that helped him know his true value when he was a child. It's his turn to tell all the importance of FAITH - Full Assurance in the Heart.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-15

What is wrong with some of the people in here, the bloke has a major disability, a huge negative that he has turned into a positive and he is an inspiration to millions around the world. instead of giving him a thumbs up, all some people can do is knock his religious beliefs, what if he was from a different religious group, say Buddhist or Hindu and was moved around by an adoring army or worshippers and acolites instead of living as normal a life as possible, would you still knock him? Probably not.

I think the knockers have destroyed their own lives and would prefer to see the guy wallow in self pity instead of the guy making the most he can out of his life. He seems happy in his life, has a beautiful wife and an inspiration to so many. Gods knows how many kids he may have saved from suicide after they compared their lives with his. Not everyone born with major disabilities has a hidden agenda.

• Like 2

So he is sustained by his religious fantasies..... understandable for someone in his condition.

Lost in Space!!!!!!! Nick has his act together. Sounds like you don't.

Edited by jcb2001

Yes the knockers here are happy with a couple of dozen audience to flaunt their cynicisms.

This guy has got a 1.2 billion audience and is going to do something really good with the money. In Thailand.

That's marketing with a capital M.

There may be some religion in this however it was not in the article. Just a guy with a stupendous problem who made the most of it.

My immediate thought was to wonder if the philanthropic part of the story would

make any impression on any of Thailand's self interested million and billionaires.

I won't hazard a guess on that one.

if anyone not seeing his talk yet, go to YouTube and search Nick Vujicic. then come back here and share your thought.

I agreed that he may not able to turn the Thai culture around, certainly he could inspire some lost souls here.

• Like 2

So he is sustained by his religious fantasies..... understandable for someone in his condition.

I went to listen to him speak. I have heard many speakers cut from different cloths; the religious, the has-been's and the corporate evangelists. some good some bad. But Nick was really something special. He gave a two hour message, entertaining, creative and not at all Christian in essence. If it had been, I would have been one of the first to be critical.

I can truly so that this is a special man, with a special message, that can and will leave thousands feeling lucky for the lot you have, and make you better people by naturally being humbled by what Nick himself has achieved through his own drive and desire. He ask for no sympathy, he did not push Christianity, in actual fact he credited Thailand for it's religious freedom and inter-religious tolerance. Far from what you have very unkindly insinuated. I would say take a look at yourself for being such an asshol_e. Hope you feel proud of your above statement. Take a little time to youtube his name and you will find out Nick through his own spirit will be a winner time and time again, you, reading into your comment, will always be a .....T.

jayjay

How did the audience react being mostly Thai I guess. I am wondering with the cultural differences how inspiration and motivation was received/communicated. I am envious you got the chance to go and see him. Lucky you.

For those doing the knocking, this guy is one of the best inspirational speakers I have seen. He has any audience right with him all the way. I saw him speak to a group of school kids who were hanging on every word he was brilliant and did NOT push religion. if you haven't listened to him, don't knock him, because I promise you quite literally, even with both arms and legs some of you are not half the man he is.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I went to listen to him speak. I have heard many speakers cut from different cloths; the religious, the has-been's and the corporate evangelists. some good some bad. But Nick was really something special. He gave a two hour message, entertaining, creative and not at all Christian in essence. If it had been, I would have been one of the first to be critical.

I can truly so that this is a special man, with a special message, that can and will leave thousands feeling lucky for the lot you have, and make you better people by naturally being humbled by what Nick himself has achieved through his own drive and desire. He ask for no sympathy, he did not push Christianity, in actual fact he credited Thailand for it's religious freedom and inter-religious tolerance. Far from what you have very unkindly insinuated. I would say take a look at yourself for being such an asshol_e. Hope you feel proud of your above statement. Take a little time to youtube his name and you will find out Nick through his own spirit will be a winner time and time again, you, reading into your comment, will always be a .....T.

Wow, such insults...pretty amusing but that is TVF for you.... as a matter of fact I have heard him speak, he is very skilled at what he does and I enjoyed his talk, I envy his attitude in the face of adversity. The article mentioned did lean heavily on his afterlife fantasy, just my observation, I do enjoy the entertaining, scornful reactions ...... carry on.giggle.gif

jayjay

How did the audience react being mostly Thai I guess. I am wondering with the cultural differences how inspiration and motivation was received/communicated. I am envious you got the chance to go and see him. Lucky you.

HI GentlemanJim, they had one of the best translators I've heard in many years working alone-side Nick. Translations where done what I could describe as every half sentence. As I'm lucky to be pretty much fluent in Thai I gained the best of both worlds. There were a couple of errors, but the message came over 100% clear. Nick's message was simple. Take control of your life, don't let other put you down, it only matters what you think of yourself and the only person in this world that can change your lot in life is YOU. That said and done, little was left for cultural differences. One special man, father and husband. Remarkable. And thanks for asking. :-)

Wow, such insults...pretty amusing but that is TVF for you.... as a matter of fact I have heard him speak, he is very skilled at what he does and I enjoyed his talk, I envy his attitude in the face of adversity. The article mentioned did lean heavily on his afterlife fantasy, just my observation, I do enjoy the entertaining, scornful reactions ...... carry on.giggle.gif

Nice try, your still a <deleted> no matter what reaction you would try to illicit. I call it as I see. I spend a minute month on TV as it is full of <deleted>'s like you. If I have promoted someone somewhere to admire Nick by my reply to your pathentic post then it has been worth my rare visit back to this waste-of-space location. I chose my friends, and in a world of openness you would not be one. Lucky me.

• Like 1

Nice try, your still a <deleted> no matter what reaction you would try to illicit. I call it as I see. I spend a minute month on TV as it is full of <deleted>'s like you. If I have promoted someone somewhere to admire Nick by my reply to your pathentic post then it has been worth my rare visit back to this waste-of-space location. I chose my friends, and in a world of openness you would not be one. Lucky me.

You are cute, I made one statement based on the original article ..... your reaction is personal insults? Ok, I will heed the advice of Vujicic, what you "think' of me does not matter. But you obviously have "issues" so good luck with that.