Anyone ever been run over by a thai motorcyclist?

AlexRRR

I have and it was on my last day of my long extended stay in Bangkok and at 2.30 pm, my plane was flying out that evening around 10 pm.

You know the normal....MC thinks he can beat the 30 odd pedestrian's crossing the road in unison this is with traffic actually stoped for us to proceed.

Being the only farang in the 30 odd who walks at a normal pace that means leaving the Thai's behind I was the only one hit, we both ended up on the ground with the bike, during this rush I could hear ex TGF's voice warning me be carful when you cross the road this was repeated at the end of every phone call, MSM chat and when she would go home/work Monday morning after staying the weekend.

Poetic justice did occur the young man was unable to restart his bike and had to leave it there on the sidewalk, I was sore for sure and made my plane on time.

You reminded me of being clipped on the ankle from a motorbike on the footpath once while walking in busy Lad Phrao, and that reminded me of the time a big 4wheel drive tried to beat me across the footpath when it was coming out of a supermarket car park same area...oh and that reminds me of the fool speeding off the road into the same car park stoping inches form me..

Walking along the footpath on Pholythin Rd was far more dangerous than trying to cross the road and that's another story.

And all of this reminds me of the day walking back in Silom from the Burmese consulate when I had to literally fight with a couple driving out of a office car park because I dared not to stop and give way to a car on the footpath.

Two instances:

(1) Making a RH turn in the main street of Satuek, had a case of beer on the bike (a Yamaha 110cc). This clown was travelling at a rate of knots & decided to pass me on the outside. His footrest tagged the disk brake attachment on my front wheel & grazed my front ankle. The force of the collision fired me off the back of the bike & I landed on my backside on the road. The beer also landed on the road, but only 2 bottles were broken. The Thai simply disappeared into the distance. My front disc was workable but eventually had to be replaced.

(2) Last week my wife & I went to BigC. She was driving & stopped to let me off at the front door. I opened the passenger door just as a Thai guy with wife & baby decided to pass on the left. He was a mess, the Fortuner door only had a chip on the weld connection of the door. The Thai motorcyclist apologised whilst he tried to fix his bike.

Such is motoring in Thailand.

Edited by BuriramRes

A motorcyclist hit me on the pavement and as he did so I just manhged to give his bike a shove and he fell off onto the pavement with his bike on top of him. I grabbed my phone and told him "tamruat". I have never seen anyone move as fast as he did to get away.

You naughty boy, don't you know that this is Thailand and MCs are allowed to ride on the pavement. You are lucky the rider wasn't injured or he could have got the BiB, and you would have had to make a contribution to both him and the BiB.

I got hot 2 weeks ago when out on a drive by a pissed up Thai guy, I saw him 500 mtr away on the wrong side of the road coming towards me, swerving all over the place, didn't slow down, so I stopped so he could avoid me. Nope straight into me at 50kph. Broke my arm in 5 places, he just went into a patch of grass, and fell asleep until the Police turned up. Unreal. Thankfully the Police pinned the blame 100% on him and he's got to pay.

couple of years back, around 23:00 and no traffic, I was crossing at the zebra strip to get my bike. Idiot on Honda Wave or Click actually began to speed up and aim for me. I took one step back, then came around with a stiff right arm, catching him just below his neck. He did one of the most beautiful 1 & 1/2 backward somersaults I've ever seen, landing on his cheap helmeted head, while his bike continued for another 50-60 feet before slamming into the back of a parked pickup. I checked to make sure he was still moving, then quickly cross the few feet to my CBR and roared away, laughing my a** off. I have been known to have a very ornery streak in me at times.
whistling.gif

I was flying at 11,000M on the way to Singapore and this Thai teenager on a Honda Scoopy passed me and he had no lights front or back and no helmet. He must have been high, get it. Come on guys this is a stupid topic there are 100's of MC accidents every day, lack of law enforcement, no need for a license and of course after sunset many are completely drunk.

couple of years back, around 23:00 and no traffic, I was crossing at the zebra strip to get my bike. Idiot on Honda Wave or Click actually began to speed up and aim for me. I took one step back, then came around with a stiff right arm, catching him just below his neck. He did one of the most beautiful 1 & 1/2 backward somersaults I've ever seen, landing on his cheap helmeted head, while his bike continued for another 50-60 feet before slamming into the back of a parked pickup. I checked to make sure he was still moving, then quickly cross the few feet to my CBR and roared away, laughing my a** off. I have been known to have a very ornery streak in me at times.

whistling.gif

Meanwhile back in reality...

IF YOU THINK TH SCOOTERS ARE BAD HERE,you need to travel to vietnam,it is unbelivable....and i was hit in saigon,i was walking on the side walk,and he with no headlight,14 stiches to my leg and 4 severly bruised ribs,i was very lucky...perdestrains have no rights,....

Edited by mok199

Foreigners often forget that cross walks do not mean cars will stop for you in Thailand. It only shows the location you will most likely get hit.

Absolutey correct! The pedestrian crossings erected in Pattaya have the button to activate the stop light , intelligently placed way up past the half way point of the pole out of the reach of even some teens let alone kids who want to cross . As you say the cars don,t stop cause most the drivers weren't taught how to use the brake pedal at the red light? The police don,t give a Flying f....!

In Bangkok, I was crossig Naritiwas on SIlom and the walk sign was on with 15 seconds left - so I began to cross the street in front ot the waiting traffic. What I didn't realize was that the motorcycles began crossing 7 seconds later in anticipation of the red light turning green. Because they slowed down my crossing as I dodged them, I reached the last lane just as the light turned green and a taxi accelerated into my right leg. I flew about 5 feet but, luckily, I was able to stand, glare and walk away.

whistling.gif

Meanwhile back in reality...

Come on, it is one hell of a story so it must be true B)