Visa to China. In BKK or Hong Kong?

Obtaining a China visa, either for tourism or for business ('L' or 'F' respectively) has become more difficult since 1st July last for most nationalities. This tightening was telegraphed as a policy step by the Chinese government last year but only implemented this July.

Hong Kong remains your best bet outside your own country but even there the restrictions are much tighter than they used to be. How long this will last is anyone's guess - past experience teaches that eventually the situation will return to 'normal', but when that will be is impossible to predict.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661818-china-visa-problems-be-warned/

Check out the link. I personally have given up on the Embassy in Bangkok and always apply via my home Country. UK.

Thank you Rick. Good link.

No worries mate. Even applying in you home Country can be hit and miss. My first application I got a 6 month multi entry and my second a double entry? Very strange.

I have been to the Embassy in Bangkok since July 1st (albeit to apply for a Z visa, not an L tourist visa) and I can tell you that the policies haven't tightened with respect to last year, indeed I've read that since September 1st it may actually become easier for some applicants.

As long as your paperwork is in order, you will get a visa. The policy so far has been to ask applicants (whether they are Thai or foreign) to present either 1) a plane ticket and hotel reservation or another acceptable proof of travel out of the country or 2) an invitation letter written by a Chinese citizen or foreign resident outlining that they will sponsor the applicant's journey especially in respect to accommodation - if so, then no air ticket and of course no hotel reservation will be required. A travel agent can also act in lieu of a private sponsor.

The sources I have read suggest that many ordinary travellers will be allowed to apply for a Chinese tourist visa without proof of air tickets and hotel reservations being required, at least not in all cases. The requirement to submit such paperwork will be on a case-by-case basis with previous visitors more likely to have such requirements waived.

Of course I would still be prepared to have the necessary paperwork ready and available, just in case, although once more reports of recent applications come to light, the latest regulations will become clearer.

Also, the requirement to have all the documents requested (the Bangkok Embassy was insisting on a plane ticket routed Bangkok-China-Bangkok only although some variations would have been allowed) is no less stringent for Thai applicants than for foreigners. Therefore, if the Embassy or Consulate in your own country is as strict as the Bangkok Embassy, it is no more likely you would be either granted a visa or not, with respect to Bangkok's assuming you have the same paperwork in both cases.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Thai partner and I both applied for and got China visas in BKK. We did not have any flights booked at the time so obviously no tkts.

Nor did we even attend the China visa office; we sent a company driver and he suceessfully got all.

If that was the case then money did change hands. I was told by my agent of 10 years that they could no longer apply for the visa on my behalf and that everyone has to apply in person. How long ago was this?

Thai partner and I both applied for and got China visas in BKK. We did not have any flights booked at the time so obviously no tkts.

Nor did we even attend the China visa office; we sent a company driver and he suceessfully got all.

If that was the case then money did change hands. I was told by my agent of 10 years that they could no longer apply for the visa on my behalf and that everyone has to apply in person. How long ago was this?

It's always been possible to send someone else i.e. an "agent" that is entrusted on your behalf, but that person could be anyone, i.e. a family member of friend. There is no need to go yourself and if you are working in an office, it would be ridiculous to have to ask for leave from work just to submit a visa application. However, quite obviously you don't have to. No idea why a legitimate agent wouldn't be willing to help, but I am certain persons that are not applicants can entrust others to submit their applications on their behalf.

It's always been possible to send someone else i.e. an "agent" that is entrusted on your behalf, but that person could be anyone, i.e. a family member of friend. There is no need to go yourself and if you are working in an office, it would be ridiculous to have to ask for leave from work just to submit a visa application. However, quite obviously you don't have to. No idea why a legitimate agent wouldn't be willing to help, but I am certain persons that are not applicants can entrust others to submit their applications on their behalf.

This is what I was told by my legitimate agent. They had previously obtained visas for me on a regular basis, but said the rules had changed. I also add that it is ridiculous that when applying for a single entry tourist visa that I should have to Present my wife's Tabien Baan and ID card. I had also to provided air tickets, hotel reservations, proof of money in the bank and proof of medical insurance. On the day of application there were many people rejected for tourist visa's I knew this by conversations and also out and out rowing with the counter staff. This was around 2 years ago and as I have previously mentioned I now apply via a second passport through the UK. I have two old passports that are full of Chinese visas that I have accrued during my time in Bangkok, so there has been a change in policy in my opinion.

This is what I was told by my legitimate agent. They had previously obtained visas for me on a regular basis, but said the rules had changed. I also add that it is ridiculous that when applying for a single entry tourist visa that I should have to Present my wife's Tabien Baan and ID card. I had also to provided air tickets, hotel reservations, proof of money in the bank and proof of medical insurance. On the day of application there were many people rejected for tourist visa's I knew this by conversations and also out and out rowing with the counter staff. This was around 2 years ago and as I have previously mentioned I now apply via a second passport through the UK. I have two old passports that are full of Chinese visas that I have accrued during my time in Bangkok, so there has been a change in policy in my opinion.

I saw that too, but the main reasons those applicants were rejected is due to missing one document or in the case of one couple, they didn't have a ticket routed Bangkok-China-Bangkok only a ticket routed Ho Chi Minh-China. But they can always apply again the next day - i.e. applicants aren't rejected outright.

Tom,

I agree that people are not rejected outright, as I found out to my cost. I required bank statements which I did not have with me, so I had to return to Pattaya and drive back to Bangkok the next day. I did finally get a single entry visa. There is nothing on the Embassy web site that mentions the requirement of bank statements when applying for a tourist visa.