Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

Could anyone tell me if any of the hotels in Chiang Mai have top-tier fitness centers equal to the JW Marriot in Bangkok? Is there any place with equipment similar to Fitness First or California Wow? I just returned from Powerhouse which I was told was the best in Chaing Mai and found it only just adequate. Thanks!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i heard fitness thailand thats above rimping is building a new gym somewhere near carrefour. Chiangmai Business Park to be more precise with a swimming pool, and everything you can find in a good gym. anyone heard of this?

WorldClub at Hangdong was wonderful place to be at until it closed its doors end of last year to Grace Int. School.

Yep, Powerhouse is probably the best here, although grossly inflated prices for what you get. Platinum Fitness is also a purpose-built gym, with pool and large sauna, just off the Mae Rim road and not bad. Neither have rowing machines though, which is quite poor considering the rates.

Yep, Powerhouse is probably the best here, although grossly inflated prices for what you get. Platinum Fitness is also a purpose-built gym, with pool and large sauna, just off the Mae Rim road and not bad. Neither have rowing machines though, which is quite poor considering the rates.

jackr - where exactly is this platinum place? not very sure of that area except for the govt office where i do my work permit. also how much do they charge?

The one across from the airport is not as good as either Powerhouse or Fitness Thailand. I went there a month ago to check it out and came out rather unimpressed with the environment (stuffy smell, rather small room with a low ceiling, no limitation in memberships) and equipment (rather limited).

It is sufficient, but not great. On the other hand, as I recall, the price was not as high as the other two.

jackr - where exactly is this platinum place? not very sure of that area except for the govt office where i do my work permit. also how much do they charge?

Turn onto the Mae Rim road from the superhighway and it's not far past the first major set of lights, on the right (opposite Lanna Golf Course) - within 2kms of the superhighway. It's not far from the Toyota showroom on that side and if you hit the new junction for the inner ring road (by the government buildings / prison), you've gone too far. After you've done a u-turn and heading back towards Chiang Mai, you'll eventually see a big white & yellow sign saying Platinum Fitness on the left. Turn left there and its aout 200m down that soi on the right. They're also fairly steep, with the off-peak rates coming in at about 10k. Nice pool and sauna though, and the girls ain't bad either. :o

I also heard the one by the airport was a bit pokey.

They're also fairly steep, with the off-peak rates coming in at about 10k.

Could you make that price clearer. 10,000 bhat for what? I am in the USA headed for Thailand soon and have no idea what a good gym should cost there. What are the costs?

They're also fairly steep, with the off-peak rates coming in at about 10k.

Could you make that price clearer. 10,000 bhat for what? I am in the USA headed for Thailand soon and have no idea what a good gym should cost there. What are the costs?

10,000 baht to use the gym equipment and facilities :o

Basically covers the use of all gym equipment for 12 months, as well as the swimming pool and sauna for 12 months...not rocket science :D

There are two types of gym - the ones we are talking about, which are in the top bracket and have all the facilities, and the traditional Thai ones, which are cheap (20 baht a go and cheap membership) and mainly have free weights and multigyms, but no air-con or creature comforts.

Many quality hotels also have half-decent gyms. Personally I wouldn't spend any more than 10k here for 12 months membership, although you'd be very hard pushed to find a good gym in the likes of Bangkok for that money.

Hope this helps.

The gym on top of Rimping Superstore near Novotel is terrible and I would advise you to avoid it at all costs.

I used it for a day once (400 baht) and the equipment was sub-standard and limited.

There was no squat rack, a lack of discs for benching and the discs that were there were plastic filled with sand and didn't have what weight they were marked on them!!!!

there weren't many machines either, including no smiths machine in case you havent got a spotter for benching.

after that rip-off i tried a hotel gym near the centre (can't remember the name sorry). the weights were a lot better and the price included the pool too.

somebody in bangkok told me once there is an open air weights gym near Mike's Burgers for 40 baht per day, but i was never able to find it.............

The gym on top of Rimping Superstore near Novotel is terrible and I would advise you to avoid it at all costs.

I used it for a day once (400 baht) and the equipment was sub-standard and limited.

There was no squat rack, a lack of discs for benching and the discs that were there were plastic filled with sand and didn't have what weight they were marked on them!!!!

there weren't many machines either, including no smiths machine in case you havent got a spotter for benching.

after that rip-off i tried a hotel gym near the centre (can't remember the name sorry). the weights were a lot better and the price included the pool too.

somebody in bangkok told me once there is an open air weights gym near Mike's Burgers for 40 baht per day, but i was never able to find it.............

Yeah, I never liked that place. The one I go to has some new and excellent kit - loads of proper free weights, benches and machines (including a smiths machine), very clean place + shower and all for 20 baht a pop or 40 for non-members. Membership 500. 'City Gym' located not far off the Mae Rim road.

The gym on top of Rimping Superstore is supposed to be very well equiped.

I would think that since you live on a diet of Miguels and Dukes that you probably need a gym membership!

I swim, lift weights and use a bunch of cardio machines besides riding my bicycle every day.

What I need to do is push away from the table! :o

• 1 month later...

I was living in Chiang Mai earlier this year and joined Platinum the last month I was in town to get abit of exercise. They had some membership specials and I was able to join for 1 month at 1500B. If I remember correctly, they also had a 3+1 month for 5000B.

I can't compare Platinum to other gyms in CM since this was the only gym I looked at...it's close by to where we live and has a large parking lot. The staff is very friendly and eager to help you. The manager speaks English but only a handful of the staff. From what I saw while there...mostly a Thai clientele. A decent crowd around 5pm after work and practically empty around 10am and 8pm.

Facilities include an outdoor pool (too chilly to use in Jan), massage services (did not get a chance to try out), suana in the men's locker, steam in the women's, juice bar, showers, and a variety of exercise classes offered. You can request a tour of the facilities.

Some minor negatives include only basic channels on the tvs, gym equipment seemed fairly new but awkwardly sized?, men's locker room changing area is exposed, no steamroom offered for men, and no towel service. One big negative that would have me not join again is the music played during the spin/aerobic/etc classes is deafening throughout the gym. I know Thais like their music loud and this is no exception. Basically, I could not workout when there was a class going on.

Hope this helps. I'll be back in CM next month for a long stay and considering joining a gym again. Though with a baby on the way...may have to put that on hold.

_ihop

I was a mamber of hillside gym for around 4 years a while ago. Recently joined Platinum - IMO the best for facilities and value for money in Chiang Mai.

I bought a one year membership for me and the missus for 8K baht each. Facilities are great: machines, 4 other large halls for spinning, yoga, boxing aerobics... if you want to take it easy you can have a game of ping pong, a swim, a sauna and a massage.

AND the reception staff are well fit and wear short white minis.

Just tried out the new gym at the Chedi. It has the best equipment in town and the locker rooms are amazing but there are no classes and it caters more to their guests. You should check it out as the first day is free. Otherwise, it's 30 000 baht /year

But, in my opinion, if you are looking for the best quality (equipment, classes, cleanliness, atmosphere, etc), you still can't be Powerhouse.

Just tried out the new gym at the Chedi. It has the best equipment in town and the locker rooms are amazing but there are no classes and it caters more to their guests. You should check it out as the first day is free. Otherwise, it's 30 000 baht /year

But, in my opinion, if you are looking for the best quality (equipment, classes, cleanliness, atmosphere, etc), you still can't be Powerhouse.

30K a year :o This is Chiang Mai not Beverly Hills. Tell me you're kidding?

I just saw this post has come up again. I am in the Powerhouse gym and find the staff to be getting a bit pushy when it comes to promoting personal training. I find staff are always coming over to correct some minor point while I'm working out - then bringing up the PT.

Are any other places pushy like this?

30K a year :o This is Chiang Mai not Beverly Hills. Tell me you're kidding?

I mentioned this price to the owner of one of my favorite establishments and he thought that this was quite reasonable sum to avoid the riff-raff at the cheaper health clubs.

It looks like success is going to someone's head! :D

I just saw this post has come up again. I am in the Powerhouse gym and find the staff to be getting a bit pushy when it comes to promoting personal training. I find staff are always coming over to correct some minor point while I'm working out - then bringing up the PT.

Are any other places pushy like this?

That's one of the reasons I never went for the Powerhouse as the main man seemed very pushy, plus they never even had a rower and for the money they wanted :o

I'm a member at Platinum and work out there 3-4 times per week. Happened to be there today, Saturday, and was chatting with manager. 680 annual members. Busiest weekday evenings, nearly empty weekday mornings and weekends. I think that many of the active members are women who take the yoga and fitness courses, rather than use the equipment.

I'll update the previous posts: TVs have cable stations, towel service available, opened new downstairs weight room with new equipment (just today!), new machines coming upstairs soon, ample parking.

Staff are friendly and helpful, not pushy on training at all, can communicate in English well enough.

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white miniskirts.

I'm a member at Platinum and work out there 3-4 times per week. Happened to be there today, Saturday, and was chatting with manager. 680 annual members. Busiest weekday evenings, nearly empty weekday mornings and weekends. I think that many of the active members are women who take the yoga and fitness courses, rather than use the equipment.

I'll update the previous posts: TVs have cable stations, towel service available, opened new downstairs weight room with new equipment (just today!), new machines coming upstairs soon, ample parking.

Staff are friendly and helpful, not pushy on training at all, can communicate in English well enough.

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white minis

Yeah, they're real cuteys and that sauna is like a warehouse. Let me know if they get a decent rower in, Puwa :o

The D2hotel recently opened a fitness centre on its 10th floor, nice ambience with city and mountain views. I don't remember the price but it seemed like it was in the 10K/year range--whatever the price was I remember thinking it was a bargain.

I am a member at Hillside 4 Fitness Center, located at Hillside 4 Condo & Plaza. They are running a promotion for nonresidents of 6,000 baht a year, not sure of prices for other couples, families etc. I believe the promotional price is good through July. The gym is not great but it is certainly OK and the pool is quite nice. They also have a sauna.

I am a member at Hillside 4 Fitness Center, located at Hillside 4 Condo & Plaza. They are running a promotion for nonresidents of 6,000 baht a year, not sure of prices for other couples, families etc. I believe the promotional price is good through July. The gym is not great but it is certainly OK and the pool is quite nice. They also have a sauna.

Yeah, a bit run down and naff kit to be honest for the money, although ideal if you live there, but bit of a killer if out of town for a 5 O'clock workout.

Yeah, a bit run down and naff kit to be honest for the money, although ideal if you live there, but bit of a killer if out of town for a 5 O'clock workout.

Good price though.. :o

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white miniskirts.

How short..... :o

Archived