Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

We negotiated 8K at Platinum...you should still be able to get that rate. Gyms are well aware that a significant percentage of members initially make it a point to exercise on a scheduled basis--several times a week. But after 3-4 months, their enthusiasm or dedication wanes and in many cases they stop going altogether...but the gym has pocketed your money for a year in advance. Unless you are a really dedicated gym rat, you might actually do better with a monthly fee membership.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will check on platinum again next week. Meanwhile I'm quite happy with centara duangtawan, only problem is it's far and it's small. But in the morning you usually don't have any problems. Nice sauna and steam room too, and the sauna is really turned ON (not like in platinum).

We negotiated 8K at Platinum...you should still be able to get that rate. Gyms are well aware that a significant percentage of members initially make it a point to exercise on a scheduled basis--several times a week. But after 3-4 months, their enthusiasm or dedication wanes and in many cases they stop going altogether...but the gym has pocketed your money for a year in advance. Unless you are a really dedicated gym rat, you might actually do better with a monthly fee membership.

Yes I only paid 8k, but I need to know if its reopening.

Platium will close tomorrow for renovation. Maybe 1 month maybe longer. That is why they do not sell memberships anymore. But it is good news so far, if they really re-open in time.

Might be true but a favourite way to close a business without losing face here is to leave a sign on the door - 'closed for renovations'. What sort of 'business' closes for a month?

been at platinum today, the pool is empty, the rooms look empty too. No one inside, but a TV was running ;-)

Doesn't look like any visible renovation work was done. I will check again after the holiday, but maybe they stay closed forever.

been at platinum today, the pool is empty, the rooms look empty too. No one inside, but a TV was running ;-)

Doesn't look like any visible renovation work was done. I will check again after the holiday, but maybe they stay closed forever.

Can a platinum member please confirm if the gym is reopening, I have just been there and there are no sign of rennovations, the sign is still on the door saying that it will reopen on the 1st but today is the 5th!

I need to know as I will have to join another gym, also, do you think there is any chance of getting my money back?

I remember there used to be just two that expats used: Hillside and Chiang Mai Orchid.

I joined Platinum a few years ago mainly for the receptionists who were well tasty with short white mini skirts. Platinum, in my opinion, has never covered its overheads with membership fees. There are now many competitors in CM. Places like Powerhouse are too small and expensive in my opinion but it is very convenient for people who live in that part of town or people without transport.

I might join Chiang Mai Orchid. It used to be quite famous for the educated 20-something Thai women who went there looking for a farang gig. Facilities are not that great but there's a good pool.

The Chedi is pretty good and very clean and never get crowded. Price is also negotiable.

And about platinum, it's going to be seized by the bank and then auctioned to a third-party. The owner has gone bankrupted.

That makes sense.

I thought there was a group of shareholders though including someone from the owners of Singha beer. Maybe ownership was tidied up so that liabilities are limited.

I looked at the chedi too, it's small, clean and most of the time empty, but the prices are much too high. I can't remember it all, but I think about 5000 per month. And you can't use the pool if you do not take a 1 year membership. (at over 20000 THB). Till now I stay with centara, but I hope it's not getting more crowded. platinum was just the best, till now I saw no other gym that can replace it.

Fitness Thailand is excellent and have recently lowered their annual membership fees to 4500 Baht.

Just don't leave anything valuable in their lockers and make sure you use a good lock, not one sold by Fitness Thailand or a small one that can be broken with a screwdriver.

• 3 weeks later...
Where Chiang Mai Orchid is located?

Chiang Mai Orchid is pretty sweet - it's right next to Kad Suan Kaew on Huay Kaew road. Easy walk from Nimanheamin.

I've been there a couple of times - seems like great value. 150 baht gets you use of their large pool (sunlight only lasts till about 3pm as of writing before shadow from hotel climbs over the pool) and also use of the gym. The gym has a few olympic bars, good set of weight and collars to deadlift (from memory >300lbs) or whatever with. Dumbells go up to about 90lbs. Also, chinning/ dip bar of sorts, smith machine and some machines if you like that sort of thing.

For 150 baht, you can't go wrong can you?? Just ask at the reception/cashier and take a lift to the 3.5th floor (yea it's between floors).

Powerhouse is a nice gym, great facilities but a little pricey unless you are here for the whole year. In which case I think it's 3500 admin fee and 800 per month (although they're doing a special right now which includes 16 months for the price of 12)

Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

Hi, just moved to CM 3 days ago, going to stay here 2 months, mainly to study massage at ITM. I live right next to it & I'm looking for a gym/fitness center relatively close by (Santhiham Rd). Reading through this thread, Orchid seems the best bet & I'm checking it out later today. Would love to get some other recommendations in the area though.

What I need:

Some free weights

Aircon, since I sweat enough as it is

Towel service, since I plan on going everyday the weeks I'm not studying

Would be nice with a pool/jacuzzi. Don't need eye-candy, since I'm in no shape to impress anyone.

I haven't been in a gym in about 6 months, but I'm quitting cigarettes Monday (stench of tar+massage therapy, bad match) & need something else to occupy my time.

I'll pay up to 3000bt a month.

Thank you

Btw. Love this forum, been a real help in planning etc. since I hate reading guidebooks.

I'm also interested in advance of my impending winter migration. Any updates on the price of the Orchid? I'm really just looking for somewhere with some weights as it's far too hot in Chiang Mai for any kind of cardio. A proper weights gym would be nice - adjustable benches, squat rack, 90lb dumbells, plenty of plates for barbell lifts etc. - but not looking to pay too much. The cheaper the better, although air con would be nice. Not bothered about a pool or jacuzzi or anything like that, just somewhere where I can do some nice heavy lifting. Any suggestions?

CM Orchid is 8000/year, 1200/mo. or 150 B daily.

Sorry, loaded- the Thai 20-somethings were driven off by the crusty old farangs in the morning crowd.

That's why I work out in the late afternoon....when they have the aerobics disco dance class :)

Do you know what the hours of the gym are? If it's part of the hotel, does that mean it's 24 hours?

Are there any 24 hour gyms in Chiang mai in the Nimma area?

Thanks

I'm also interested in advance of my impending winter migration. Any updates on the price of the Orchid? I'm really just looking for somewhere with some weights as it's far too hot in Chiang Mai for any kind of cardio. A proper weights gym would be nice - adjustable benches, squat rack, 90lb dumbells, plenty of plates for barbell lifts etc. - but not looking to pay too much. The cheaper the better, although air con would be nice. Not bothered about a pool or jacuzzi or anything like that, just somewhere where I can do some nice heavy lifting. Any suggestions?

If price is the main objective and you don't need lots of machines or a pool, you should try the gym on the 3rd floor of Kad Suan Kaew. iirc, it's 50 baht per day with other cheap deals for monthly, etc. Definitely air conditioned. Hours similar to the mall.

Archived