Thai women's obsession with white skin could cause health problems, study says

webfact

20 years ago I started to import whitening product in Thailand , 100% natural , as some product such as Licorice or Vitamin C can light the skin ... the problem is those chemical cream that is used in Africa container product which can cause Cancer. such as Hydroquinon.

It's always been the same and will continue to be so. White birds want to be brown and brown chicks want to be white. Nuff said.

SO STRANGE..!!! White men come here to meet exotic brown women and those same exotic brown women are having plastic surgery and using creams to be 'white'.

The most beautiful women here are the ones who want to be as they were meant to be.

REALLY?

How about the "White" frying themselves in the tropical sun, whining and groaning about the cost and the sick buffaloes?

SHAMELESS Buffaloes, indeed - I mean the sick ones.

I thought you could get your vitamin D from fish, too. Thai people eat plenty of that.

My wife does get pissed about this whole white skin thing. She is proud of her skin. She did and still does get teased about it sometimes. She has beautiful, smooth golden skin that western women would (figuratively) kill for. She has a very white Thai-Chinese friend (from Yala) that was shocked the other day that she had gotten slightly tanner.

Anybody remember that Oishi debacle in the BTS last year? That caused quite a backlash on Pantip.com. My wife was furious when she saw that add.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Westerners give themselves skin cancer trying to get tan enough all the time... and I bet that kills a lot more people than vitamin D deficiency does. My god you people take every chance you can to call Thai people crazy, when there are equal and opposite obsessions back at home. Get some perspective.

• Like 2

This report comes from Chualalongkorn University which in my opinion is itself part of the problem.

I visited the campus last year and saw hundreds of white-skinned students-the progeny of the Chinese Amart. I saw only 5 browned skinned people and they were sweeping up leaves.

The deadly equation goes like this;

white-skinned amart=wealth/influence.

The equation is cummutative.

My friend went into Siam paragon with his issarn male friend recently. In the elevator the issarn guy was rebuked in thai by a little old chinese lady who waved the keys of a top model car in his face- just for being there it seems. To my friend's amazement the issarn friend hung his head and made no reply.

This issue is more than skin-deep.

Some woman moaned in Thai in front of me and my son in a lift about farangs. To which him and I piped up in Thai about how f******g ignorant Thai people can be sometimes.

• Like 1

How about frying in the hot tropical sun?

Edit: Isn't that a more pathetic way of dying? Human being seems to thrive on picking on others faults.

Guess, who are the experts on that?

tongue.png

The millions of Thais that think having dark skin is a fault?

• Like 1

Westerners give themselves skin cancer trying to get tan enough all the time... and I bet that kills a lot more people than vitamin D deficiency does. My god you people take every chance you can to call Thai people crazy, when there are equal and opposite obsessions back at home. Get some perspective.

Some perspective would be understanding why so many Thais are obsessed with having pale skin. Cancer is the last thing on their mind. I think its fair to say that Westerners (white ones) haven't tanned their skin for the purpose of elevating their social status since the 1920s.

How about frying in the hot tropical sun?

Edit: Isn't that a more pathetic way of dying? Human being seems to thrive on picking on others faults.

Guess, who are the experts on that?

tongue.png

The millions of Thais that think having dark skin is a fault?

And what is that fault?

Don´t be fooled when you see workers in the field totally wrapped up and covered in the hot sun, that´s protection against dehydration.

Is the fault a belief that a dark skin implies labouring outside and therefore displaying that you are not wealthy?

A white skin implies staying indoors, out of the sun and therefore wealthy enough to do that?

This way of thinking has been around for eons, all it needed were a few clever companies to compound it with advertising and selling whitening products. The brainwashing is now complete and sales of these products are assured.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps campaigns at the highest levels should be created, to educate Thais about how their dark skin makes them MORE beautiful. A kind of a take off of the "black is beautiful" campaigns you used to see in the US. Most Thais I meet have no idea how lovely their dark skin is. They have been indoctrinated for so long, by these toxic skin care companies, and the nonsense notions on Thai TV, that dark skinned people are all poor farmers. All the rich people you see on Thai TV are milky white. They reinforce these racist stereotypes. How many Thai women do you see on the beach tanning themselves? I have always thought a great theme for a girly bar would be the "Chocolate Bar". Only brown girls are allowed to apply for positions. It would be so much fun to be able to say, "Sorry, but you do not qualify. You are too white. Nobody would want you here. Only dark girls are considered desirable here." The darker the better. From middle level cocoa on up. Since many of us farengs consider their darkness a symbol of their beauty, I think it would be a real hit. And perhaps it would be the beginning of the Thai people embracing the beauty within their darkness.

It is true that Thai women revere white skin more than dark but the reasons are a bit more complex than white (self centred?) farang males think. The farang that write in this forum seem to be of the belief that Thai women want to be white to please them. Not so. They want to be white because they perceive it to be more beautiful than dark. The vast majority of Thai women do not care to get a farang, they live to get a Thai man and the Thai man prefers his woman to be white.

It is true that Thai women revere white skin more than dark but the reasons are a bit more complex than white (self centred?) farang males think. The farang that write in this forum seem to be of the belief that Thai women want to be white to please them. Not so. They want to be white because they perceive it to be more beautiful than dark. The vast majority of Thai women do not care to get a farang, they live to get a Thai man and the Thai man prefers his woman to be white.

No, they don't perceive it to be more beautyful- they perceive it to be superior!

No, they don't perceive it to be more beautyful- they perceive it to be superior!

That too!

• 7 months later...

Yes. The obsession with whiteness here is amazing. On most of the soaps, the ones who live in the 50 million baht homes are always pasty white. Like casper the friendly ghost. Except they are usually bitches. Loudmouths, scheming, conniving, and nasty. I always tell my thai girlfriend repeat after me- Black is beautiful, white is bad. She thinks I am nuts. They just do not get it. I cannot believe the number of stunning, dark skinned women here, who think they are ugly because of their gorgeous, cocoa colored skin. If only they knew the truth! I think a great business model is the "Chocolate Bar". Hire dark skinned girls only. I would love to see the look on a beautiful light skinned girls face, when you told her she cannot work there because her skin is too light. I love the very concept.

• Like 1

Yes. The obsession with whiteness here is amazing. On most of the soaps, the ones who live in the 50 million baht homes are always pasty white. Like casper the friendly ghost. Except they are usually bitches. Loudmouths, scheming, conniving, and nasty. I always tell my thai girlfriend repeat after me- Black is beautiful, white is bad. She thinks I am nuts. They just do not get it. I cannot believe the number of stunning, dark skinned women here, who think they are ugly because of their gorgeous, cocoa colored skin. If only they knew the truth! I think a great business model is the "Chocolate Bar". Hire dark skinned girls only. I would love to see the look on a beautiful light skinned girls face, when you told her she cannot work there because her skin is too light. I love the very concept.

SpiderMike,

You have just resurrected three old threads on the topic of white skin.

What are you doing?

Yeah...try and tell that to women in South Asia, or even men for that matter. They have skin whitening creams for men, and they do good business too!

A few years ago we had a friend staying with us from the Seychelles. He was almost purple black,- about as dark as you could be. An artist and a very funny guy. We were in a supermarket one day and he was looking for some brand of face cleanser. As he wandered along the shelves I could hear him muttering - whitening cream? - whitening cream? - no face cleanser ? why so much whitening cream ? I do NOT want to be white!!

SpiderMike,

You have just resurrected three old threads on the topic of white skin.

What are you doing?

ml

Just having some fun. Some threads should never be put to rest! LOL.

Spidermike007