New document for non immigrant B now required in Vientiane

I just came back from the Thai embassy here in Vientiane, and although their website mentions what papers and documents are needed, and I brought that whole bunch of papers, my visa non immigrant B was refused, because i did not bring an approval letter from the mnistry of labour and social welfare in Thailand. That is new to me, so i have to go back to Bangkok and get that letter or not.

Anyone having had this same experience before???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is a link to the Thai MFA list of requirements for a Non Immigarnt Category 'B'

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Once you have successfuly filed a Work Permit applicaton at your local labour department then you will get a WP3 or WP1 receipt (A5 sized slip of paper), this document is what is normally used with Non 'B' Visa applications.

However if the Letter of Approval is required form Labour, then this can be issued once the WP application is successfully filed - it's a letter signed by the head of the local labour dept stating in Thai that your WP is approved awaiting the issue of a Non Immigrant Category 'B' visa; it takes a few days as the dept head must sign it.

Best you can hope for either scenario above in the SE Asia Region is a Single Entry 90 day Non 'B'.

Different procedures apply for teachers seeking a Non Immigrant 'B' - see the link provided above.

Good Luck..

Edited by digitalchromakey

This must be new, as I have received 4 Non B's from Vientiane, most times without W.P. or receipt, because the Kalasin Labor office will not do anything until you have the Non B in your passport. But they are demanding a letter from the Education office if it is for teaching.

This must be new, as I have received 4 Non B's from Vientiane, most times without W.P. or receipt, because the Kalasin Labor office will not do anything until you have the Non B in your passport. But they are demanding a letter from the Education office if it is for teaching.

No WP3 is needed for teaching to get a B visa. That is why labor will not accept application without one.

And the "funny" thing is, that i had a retirement visa already for more than 5 years, and based on the information received form the authorities and the website of the Vientiane embassy i decided to make the trip and apply for the non immigrant B. I took the plane from Bangkok to Udon Tani and than the shuttle bus to Vientiane. Now my retirement visa is cancelled and i have a 14 days tourist permit. I am married with a thai lady for more than 5 years, have a house here and lived relaxed in Thailand till today.

I have to leave to country before Setember 30, otherwise i am in overstay. What a rules.

"No WP3 is needed for teaching to get a B visa. That is why labor will not accept application without one. "

Plenty of past posts say it's needed for teachers.  Has that changed?

Are you talking about a specific office, or everywhere?

Not to get a B visa from a embassy or consulate.

See 2.4 here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

And also i really now believe NOBODY knows what the rules are to get a non immigrant B. The guy at the Vientiane embassy this morning made a phone call, gave me a paper showing that there was now a permit from the Labour department needed and told me to go away to get that. He did not border about me flying in from Bangkok. Spending time and a lot of money for tickets and hotelrooms. No discussions allowed, just leave.

And the "funny" thing is, that i had a retirement visa already for more than 5 years, and based on the information received form the authorities and the website of the Vientiane embassy i decided to make the trip and apply for the non immigrant B. I took the plane from Bangkok to Udon Tani and than the shuttle bus to Vientiane. Now my retirement visa is cancelled and i have a 14 days tourist permit. I am married with a thai lady for more than 5 years, have a house here and lived relaxed in Thailand till today.

I have to leave to country before Setember 30, otherwise i am in overstay. What a rules.

If you were on extensions based upon being married to a Thai you would not of needed to go out for a B visa.

You could get a single non-o based upon marriage from the embassy and then move ahead to get your work permit by showing your marriage certificate.

• Like 2

Hi Ubonjoe, yes if i knew everything before, than i had done that. But there you are, talking to a guy who is not prepared to assist you at all, just tell you to get that document and GO. I had all papers needed according to the website of the thai embassy in Vientiane, and than they just show you a paper with a new rule. Not prepared to help you in any way at all. If you leave the border they is a large sign "Welcome in Thailand". I do not believe that anymore.

Hi Ubonjoe, yes if i knew everything before, than i had done that. But there you are, talking to a guy who is not prepared to assist you at all, just tell you to get that document and GO. I had all papers needed according to the website of the thai embassy in Vientiane, and than they just show you a paper with a new rule. Not prepared to help you in any way at all. If you leave the border they is a large sign "Welcome in Thailand". I do not believe that anymore.

It is frustrating at times. And agree that embassy should of been more flexible.

The problem is that so many employers are unaware of the rules and/or have lawyers/agents giving them the wrong info do to a lack of knowledge or in the case of work permits, visas and extensions for those married to Thai it can be greed because they make more money from doing it for B visas and extensions for working because it requires a lot more paperwork to get them.

If it was me I would head back to Vientiane and a single entry non-o visa by showing your marriage certificate, wife's ID and house book. Then apply for work permit and then your extension based upon marriage. The advantage of doing it this way is that your extension is not tied to your job (no job no extension).

OP... If you're 1. married to a thai and 2. have had retirement visas for the last 5 years, you should really consider getting a Non-O on the basis of marriage to a thai citizen, unsure why you chose the Non-Imm "B" route though?

WP is pretty easy to obtain on the Non-Imm "O" provided the company details are legit. Jump through a couple of hoops, enjoy the promo billboards of the minister in charge (if doing in Bangkok), pay your dues and get the little blue book... My highlight was the billboards, but YMMV :P

Just googled Thai Consulate in Vientiane and this is their current list of required documents for a Non 'B':

Thai Emabssy Vientiane http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

Documents required are :

1. Recommendation letter addressed to the Embassy (stating about the employment and visa application) and accompanied with the certified copy of the ID of the endorser(s)

2. Employment contract

3. Form of the Employment Certification (Download Here)

4. Copy of the previous/current work permit, or Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of Thailand

5. Copy of corporate documents, namely;

- company registration certificate

- list of company shareholders

- memorandum of company’s regulation

- latest income tax statement

- latest registration of value added tax

Please note for 4) Vientiane State that in the absence of a WP an Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour is required, this pretty much matches the Thai MFA site info for a Non 'B'.

The same Vientiane Embassy Web Page also confirms statements made by others that Vientiane are not looking for the above Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour for Teachers.

I just got the information, that the approval letter of the Labour ministry can only be issued by them if you are OUTSIDE Thailand???

I still have no idea how to get a non immigrant B.

The above is not correct.

The Approval Letter is produced by your local Labour Dept (as regards your employment address), it requires a successful Work Permit Application being filed first, you can be living in Thailand when this letter is issued and you can collect it yourself from Labour.

There is no other way to get this Approval Letter that I know of.

As regards applying for a Non Immigrant 'B', if you want to go down this particular route, then try reading the 2x links in my earlier posts then collecting the paperwork listed therein.

Get non-o based upon marriage and submit copy of marriage certificate with WP application.No need for a non-b this way as I said before.

How many times you going to tell the OP the easy option before he picks up what you're putting down?;)
As many as needed. This is another one.

You cannot get a non immigrant B in Vientiane if you do not have the approval letter of the Labour ministry in Thailand

You cannot get that approval letter if you have not applied for a work permit and you have to be outside Thailand

You cannot apply for a work permit if you have not a non immigrant B

You cannot apply for a work permit if you are outside Thailand

LOLThailand

You cannot get a non immigrant B in Vientiane if you do not have the approval letter of the Labour ministry in Thailand

You cannot get that approval letter if you have not applied for a work permit and you have to be outside Thailand

LOLThailand

You can apply for a work permit without the need for a visa, many people do so. You will not get the actual work permit till you have a relevant visa, but you can apply for a WP.

The labour office should then give you a WP3 form, that signals that you have applied for a WP and you cna show to a Thai consulate. In addition some consulates want a letter of approval saying that your WP is approved and you will get it as soon as you have the correct visa.

LOLThailand

You don't need any of this as you're married to a Thai citizen...

Why don't you read and listen to what the rest of the members here - especially - UbonJoe are telling you?

You cannot get a non immigrant B in Vientiane if you do not have the approval letter of the Labour ministry in Thailand - Currently appears to be the case, if you are not a teacher.

You cannot get that approval letter if you have not applied for a work permit and you have to be outside Thailand - Incorrect.

You cannot apply for a work permit if you have not a non immigrant B - Incorrect

You cannot apply for a work permit if you are outside Thailand - Incorrect

LOLThailand

Please see my comments added in red to the op's quote above

Edited by digitalchromakey

Get non-o based upon marriage and submit copy of marriage certificate with WP application.No need for a non-b this way as I said before.

How many times you going to tell the OP the easy option before he picks up what you're putting down?wink.png
As many as needed. This is another one.

How many more times will good advice be rejected ?

I donot want a WP based on my marriage. I want it based on a non immigrant B visa.

Ok, then go to your local Labour Dept and file the application for a Work Permit.

As you are resident in Thailand then you must use form WP 1, a copy of which with guidance notes is attached below.

You can file the application whilst on your 15 day visa exempt entry.

Have a similar question, that's why I am posting it here. Kind of frustrated by asking people (who should abviously know) and getting every time different answers. Hello dejavu! I am hoping to get straight answers or tips how to do this and providing links, docs, if possible (so that I can proof it).

Situation:

Currently on NON-ED here IN THAILAND. I want to apply f or a work permit inside Thailand to get the letter of approval and wp3, before going on a visa run for NON-B. Want to ensure that I get the NON-B first time and the WP is waiting to get picked up upon return.

1. Can I apply for a work permit and letter of approval on a NON-ED inside Thailand? If a agency (hired by employer) is doing it, can they do it for me, while I am in Thailand?

2. What are the differences between WP1 (tt1?), WP2, WP3? Which one(s) do I have to use?

3. Can you describe briefly the process and docs I have to do/get? WP1 > Approval > WP3 > visa run > Work Permit?

4. For Vientiane: As I do not have former/current work permit I need the letter of approval, right? Is it the same then WP3?

5. How can I get WP3 as other Embassies require it.

6. Can I be inside Thailand while an agency is applying for WP3

7. Do I have to cancel my NON-ED before going on the visa run? Do I get NON-B if I don't (ED expires autom.)?

8. Can I get a re-entry for NON-ED and still get the NON-B on visa run? (In case for easy return if docs are missing)

9. Anyone heard of the same story getting a work permit and work visa inside thailand without leaving TH for Non-B visa run?

Thanks in advance!