Positive Feedback From The Tourist Court

Rimmer

Positive Feedback From The Tourist Court

PATTAYA:--The newly opened tourist court received positive feedback from tourists; more divisions will be opened in other provinces to help with the image of the tourism markets in Thailand.

THAILAND – September 15, 2013 [PDN];Mr. Virat Chinvinijakul, Secretary of Justice reveals that after the newly opened Tourist Court or Tourist division on 5th September, where cases are filed by tourists and foreigners, have received great feedback. Especially after the speed boat case that occurred a few weeks ago in Bali Hai , a new division in Phuket will be opened on the 24th September and other divisions in other provinces will be launched gradually.

Mr. Virat claims that the problems of tourist being harassed at major tourist attraction which includes the stealing of properties, theft and or other acts have been a major issue. However, most tourists have to travel back to their country and therefore the suspects are not punished or prosecuted, which has severely affected the image of Thailand.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/09/16/positive-feedback-from-the-tourist-court/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-09-16

• Like 1

Personally I think the tourist court is an excellent idea, too many petty crimes go unheard due to tourists flying home. These petty criminals know they are virtually untouchable, however you need a decent police force to bring it to court so I will probably eat my words.

• Like 1

speaking of public courts I see the jetski scam has become so prolific that they have set up a permanent negotiating table on the beach in front of Mikes to make it look more official when the police pass their judgement

Edited by wwex

However, most tourists have to travel back to their country and therefore the suspects are not punished or prosecuted, which has severely affected the image of Thailand

Which in all fairness was always going to be a problem.

Can't wait to see a case of local, influential Thai (tea-money-paying leech) versus a foreigner though. This will no doubt be a totally, usually biased affair.

hmmm How many cases have been tried? One? And have they collected the settlement, or is it a "Thai promise". I remember talking to shop owner in Singapore back in the 80's and he saying Singapore government would pay expenses for flying back tourist who had been cheated to testify. Don't know if that was true, is true, but that would put some fear in the scammers. Plus having a justice system helps. But I hope this does have an impact. Fingers crossed.....

• Like 1

So all in one week they have prosecuted a large number of thais and received great feed back from farangs victims. Are they handing out pamphlets at arrivals so that the tourists actually know about these courts and where to go? The lucky one got ripped off, assaulted and scammed on arrival for their week holiday, what about the mugged, beaten and robbed mid holiday or on the last day?

As long as they are happy with their beatings then more tourists will come when the word gets around. I guess Phuket will no longer have to travel to France to see how these courts work now,

Can you go there to ask for normal legal advice , buying properties etc ?  Or is it only for serious crime. 

You need advice? Go to lawyers, you need to report, go to police, you need to resolve, go to court.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

Personally I think the tourist court is an excellent idea, too many petty crimes go unheard due to tourists flying home. These petty criminals know they are virtually untouchable, however you need a decent police force to bring it to court so I will probably eat my words.

They have had one case, the speed boat killing and the offenders were ordered to pay 1 million baht for the human lives. A total joke and a slap in the face for the families. That is all they were worth. They family wanted 16 million minimum. The courts found in favour of the Thai offenders. 100 billion would not have been enough. The court is a total joke.

Edited by chooka

Can you go there to ask for normal legal advice , buying properties etc ? Or is it only for serious crime.

You need advice? Go to lawyers, you need to report, go to police, you need to resolve, go to court.

The goal of the special courts is to provide advice and information, as well as to expedite the settlement of cases for tourists because they are in Thailand for only a short time, said Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak.

Can you go there to ask for normal legal advice , buying properties etc ?  Or is it only for serious crime. 

The goal of the special courts is to provide advice and information, as well as to expedite the settlement of cases for tourists because they are in Thailand for only a short time, said Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak.

So? You can't go to Judge for a a direct advice! , You can't file a case directly to the Judge! You have to make a proper report and proceed through proper channels. Although these courts are assigned to pass their judgments as quick as possible.

That's all great but does anyone know the true operating hours or have a phone number for this court?

It's open from 4.30 p.m to 8.30 p.m Mon to Fri. Please book your mugging for those hours.

I don't think this is true.On the day they opened I called the Pattaya Help Center (1337) and they said those hours you mentioned however when I just called again yesterday to see if it was still those hours they told me Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm. Also the first time I called they told me it was in the regular court house on Thappraya rd but yesderday they said it was near bali hi pier.

I asked for the number for the court and called them and was speaking pretty decent Thai to them but because I am a farang speaking Thai they guy just hung up before answering my questions SO the question still stands; Why have this court if you cannot find out the location or operating hours?

Maybe the OP will post it here if they ever read this again?

PS: So I just called the OP (Pattaya Daily News)to inquire but it says "This number is temporarily out of service".

Edited by Gone

They have had one case, the speed boat killing and the offenders were ordered to pay 1 million baht for the human lives. A total joke and a slap in the face for the families. That is all they were worth. They family wanted 16 million minimum. The courts found in favour of the Thai offenders. 100 billion would not have been enough. The court is a total joke.

Monetary award bargaining during wrongful death lawsuits is not a Thai phenomenon. The court is a step in the right direction but unfortunately, it will never satisfy those who have differing opinions of justice.