Order motorcycle gear from US... tax?

Marcel1

While waiting for my new Kawasaki Ninja 300 which I hope to be there next month I thought it is also time to update my riding gear since all my stuff is getting a bit older and what's better than to start all new :-)

I was looking around in some of the "known" shops like 320sp and paddock where I found the choice here in Thailand not overwhelming. And when finally holding a decent helmet or jacket in hand than it appears that a normal size M is nowhere to be found. The staff was as usual friendly but not willing to help and support me on ordering the right sizes while I am just looking for a place to spend some money... anyways I didn't really got the feeling they wanted to have it and after a long day searching around I changed to the web.

I've read on TV about some sites with free worldwide deliveries etc. so started searching. I found a couple of websites and collected some stuff.. total bill around 500USD. Free delivery sounds fine but knows anyone here how much the import tax will be? Of course for 500USD it is not racing quality but just a mesh jacket, decent helmet, shoes and gloves which suits fine for in town cruising, so I am wondering if it really is worth it to import. After all if they charge me a hefty fine of 30% I would be less tempted to buy than a 10%.

So if anyone know more about this I would be happy to know.

Cheers.

Marcel

You'd be much better off also trying at other places in BKK such as Panda Rider, DirtShop and RidersOutlet. You'll be able to find what you need and prices may surprise you. If you import you'll have to pay 37% which is 30% import duty and 7% VAT so on 15,000baht worth of gear you'll pay almost 6000 baht in taxes! Or you could ask whoever is shipping it to declare a lower amount as you'll then pay less import duty.

I've also found it depends on how it is shipped. If shipped by standard mail (i.e. US Post, Royal UK Mail, Australia Post), it seems to get through fine. However, as soon as its sent by courier (i.e. DHL, FedEX), it attracts attention and you'll almost certainly pay duty, and an extra fee for the freight company organizing it for you.

You'll almost certainly get hit with taxes even if it goes via USPS- the best you could do would be to put a lower declared value on the customs form, but most shippers won't do that a it limits their insurance coverage in the event of a loss.

I've had a LOT of gear shipped over the last year via a few different shipping methods, and- unless it's in a small box- it almost certainly won't make it through without an inspection unless it's labeled in a way to attract less attention from customs.

nowadays they check the price from internet at customs so showing less value might not help.

mostly it costs the Thailand price after shipping and taxes.

better buy them from panda rider or paddock. 320 sp products are fake.

nowadays they check the price from internet at customs so showing less value might not help.

mostly it costs the Thailand price after shipping and taxes.

better buy them from panda rider or paddock. 320 sp products are fake.

I never had that happen (where the price of gear or accessories was checked on the net against an invoice or customs declaration)- a couple helpful dealers (who have known me for years) have been very accommodating as far as packaging and documentation is concerned, and it's saved me quite a bit (though I'm not saying it never happens- it just hasn't been my experience).

There's one motorcycle accessory website that has a tie in with a company called Borderfree. Apparently the company relies on government to government agreements to increase US exports. They take care of everything so if the goods get stopped at customs, they get them out without additional taxes being paid.

JCPenny's, Macy's and some other big American companies are signed up with them so I think they're legit.

As I shouldn't post links here I just Googled "Motorcycle accessories borderfree" to find.

There's one motorcycle accessory website that has a tie in with a company called Borderfree. Apparently the company relies on government to government agreements to increase US exports. They take care of everything so if the goods get stopped at customs, they get them out without additional taxes being paid.

JCPenny's, Macy's and some other big American companies are signed up with them so I think they're legit.

As I shouldn't post links here I just Googled "Motorcycle accessories borderfree" to find.

All these companies do is add an estimated customs fee to your order- they don't save you anything, and sometimes add more than you'd actually pay at the post office in LOS- you're actually way better off trying your luck with Thai customs.

Add a few things to your cart and check the price at checkout (you'll have to register on the site)- I just tried with an 11K pipe, and they asked for 4K in customs duty upfront (so 37%, which is exactly what the rate should be in Thailand)- I'd rather take my chances.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies so far. you guys been quite helpfull. getting someone to bring for me is difficult since im from europe and a helmet online in the US costs 200usd than it costs in europe 200euro... tomorrow I have some free time again so I will drive by panda and bikersoutlet and otherwise maybe just test my luck with sending and keep my fingers crossed

Pandarider have some good stuff there's also a Dianese main dealer near Lad prao, or about 10 mins ride from ekamai. Google Dianese and you will find it. Great selection there but a bit pricey(for me anyway).

I know what you mean about Paddock. It's ok but the staff there are almost too helpful. Just leave me alone!!!!

just a update for the ones who care. I found a shop called k-speed motogear online and they have a couple of branches. the one closest to me is just newly opened and gives 20% discount till the end this month!!

got a decent enough ls2 carbon helmet + extra visor, gloves, bag, jacket for a total of 9250thb Which I think is very reasonable. ok my guess is that the 1200thb alpinestars bag might not be real but the quality of all looks solid enough. same for the gloves.

it should work for a year or two and you dont want to keep it longer than that anyway so good enough for me.