Boyztown - Pattaya : The times are a changing. For better or worse?

Bokchoi

I get invited by a couple of gay friends to Boyztown,Pattaya at least once each month. The street is L-shaped with a big nicely lit arch at both ends, patchwork of overhead colored lighting and decor like lamp lights lining 2 or 3 cafes. All serves to give the street a look/feel different to many other streets. My monthly visit is a welcome break from the regular straight scene of family & friends. I think that the Boyztown cafes & bars are a lot cleaner and better presented than similar style straight establishments in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya.... Its nice to sit in one of the bars or cafes and watch the world go by - if one does not mind paying Tokyo prices for drinks. Sometimes past midnight there is a sing along at a bar to the sound of a piano. At other times the occasional street artist shows up to perform a few tricks and hawker carts pull up to dish out everything from soup to pancakes to doner kebabs. sigh....the men (Thai and falang) don't usually hit on me in Boyztown which is a relief considering that I get chased down the street everywhere else smile.png

This past week when I visited Boyztown - as usual past 10 p.m. - I noticed some changes. I checked my thoughts with the 2 gay regulars who invited me along. I was told that a) decorative lamp lights which lined the outdoor area of 2 or 3 places were removed hence the darker look of the street B) overhead colored bulbs which dotted parts of the street have also been removed c) the 2 arches at both ends of the street are no longer lit up d) We visited one of the 'founding father' go-go bar which sits at the corner of the L-shaped street. It was a huge disappointment. Where 50 plus Boyz strutted their stuff there were about 5 or 6. Instead we were greeted by an army of effeminate little men. Now I have nothing against people of differing physiques. After all different customers have different preferences. The point I make here is that the one unique quality (some might say 'unique product offering') which made this hunky go-go bar stand out from the other go go bars in Pattaya is fast disappearing. We waited for the cabaret but were again disappointed. Gone were the elaborate costumes, sophisticated dance routines, choreography, lighting and special effects. Gone was the dozens of adonis'. Instead lots of skinny lads break-danced through the 30 minutes - reducing the place to 'sameness' with the 20 other go-go boy bars in Pattaya.

Made me think that either the new owner was hands-off or out-of-touch. Certainly the new manager seems out-of-touch. Imagine buying a popular brand and stand-out "product" (no pun intended). Then to throw it away for SAMENESS with the other 20 or so go-go boy bars. Maybe there is some logic to this strange 'business sense' Maybe a different customer-type is being pursued. sigh...many of us will have to find someplace else to ogle muscle and dream.

I am told that some Boyztown owners/managers have passed away, others have sold or planning to sell. It means lots of change to Boyztown for better.....or worse. Like everything else places evolve.

In conclusion: Will the once all lit-up, lively & striking-to-the-eye Boyztown become a dark clutter of shops akin to the 2 other gay ghettos? I hope it can retrieve both the Lights & Diversity of its once famous go-go bar. Else, travelling to the solitary muscle bar off Silom Road, Bangkok may be the only choice for people of a particular persuasion.

The corner place you mention has changed owners? I wasn't aware of it.

It used to be the best place in town, with the cutest boys and the nicest atmosphere. And yes, with the best show in town. For a few years now, "cute boys" were replaced by "muscle boys", so it's not my place any more.

Not that I've ever been to Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

The bar in question has been bought by the owners of Tawan (Bangkok), so I think they probably know what sells and are simply being commercial, catering to the "sex-tourist" trade which is now the staple of Boyztown rather than resident gay expats many of whom now apparently prefer the friendlier and less commercial (and much cheaper!) attractions of Sunee plaza (whatever its reputation).

The previous owners of the bar now own another "boutique" establishment on Pratumnak Hill.

.... so I'm told

• Like 1