How will 3 one day overstays affect me?

About 8 months ago I had a 1 day overstay going into Laos. I just paid the fine, they gave me a receipt and that was it. Another time I misjudged my visas expiration date and had another 1 day overstay. Again, just a 500 baht fine, got a receipt, and that was it. I'm waiting for a check to clear and may have another 1 day overstay. There aren't any red stamps or anything in my passport, so will these 1 day overstays affect my ability to get future visas, or do they not keep records of such short overstays?

Fine is only 500 baht per day up to a maximum of 20k baht.

Thanks ubonjoe smile.png I have now cancelled my idea of a visa run to bridge a 5 day gap between my visa expiry and the cheapest flight w00t.gif

Not cheaper, but definitely easier to pay the fine and save a day in a van bah.gif

...... and thanks to gray42 for bringing this up and saving me some hassle :)

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

I know off topic a little. But for those that overstay only one day, they give you a freebee. I overstayed two times by one day. The first time, I just was just let through. The second time, I had to sit at the desk behind the que line, but only for a minute with no consequence or fine

I know off topic a little.  But for those that overstay only one day, they give you a freebee.  I overstayed two times by one day.  The first time, I just was just let through.  The second time, I had to sit at the desk behind the que line, but only for a minute with no consequence or fine

Correct but that is only at airports.

At a border crossing you will pay 500 baht.

• Like 1

The biggest DANGER with regards to overstay is that IF, for some reason, you are asked for ID, between home < - > border, you will be in VERY BIG trouble and are likely to get arrested and unceremoniously thrown in some unpleasant Immigration Detention Cells.

Please Be Aware of this !

facepalm.gif

• Like 2

The biggest DANGER with regards to overstay is that IF, for some reason, you are asked for ID, between home < - > border, you will be in VERY BIG trouble and are likely to get arrested and unceremoniously thrown in some unpleasant Immigration Detention Cells.

facepalm.gif

That's funny because the only time I overstayed by two days we went to Immigration (or whatever it's called) at Udon Thani and told them we were booked to fly out two days late and they told us not to worry and just pay the 1,000 baht and also that my daughter would be free.

I know off topic a little. But for those that overstay only one day, they give you a freebee. I overstayed two times by one day. The first time, I just was just let through. The second time, I had to sit at the desk behind the que line, but only for a minute with no consequence or fine

I think that very much depends on where you're "caught".

• Like 1

facepalm.gif

Yes you are right 100% not sure every one realised, being caught in the street or a few days overstay at the airport for instance, not the same story xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.iUTh4LcMoY.webp

Happy for you, but more accurate to say: "they gave me a freebie—twice!" Plenty of others have a completely different experience.

Fine is only 500 baht per day up to a maximum of 20k baht.

Thanks ubonjoe smile.png I have now cancelled my idea of a visa run to bridge a 5 day gap between my visa expiry and the cheapest flight w00t.gif

Not cheaper, but definitely easier to pay the fine and save a day in a van bah.gif

...... and thanks to gray42 for bringing this up and saving me some hassle smile.png

if, for some reason , the police catch you overstaying your visa, you could be in for a far bigger hassle!!

facepalm.gif

That's funny because the only time I overstayed by two days we went to Immigration (or whatever it's called) at Udon Thani and told them we were booked to fly out two days late and they told us not to worry and just pay the 1,000 baht and also that my daughter would be free.

Yes, Children under the age of 15 they do not impose a fine for overstay.

Overstays do not affect the ability to get visas or extensions of stay.

Even overstays much longer than yours are not a problem.

You do get a small blue triangle shaped stamp for overstay.

This happened to me a while back and I also got fined and given a receipt in Thai. The Officer at the counter told me to try and not do this too often, as the receipt was like a summons and recorded on some data base. Best to stick to the regs., as who knows what new rules will be introduced to curb those of modest means, low enders and the criminal elements that Immigration Police have to try and contain.